Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Engine?

For anyone left confused by those who argue that the problem only impacts 2010/2012 models, note the date of the latest engine off to the scrap yard.
From VWGURU’s previous post in this thread, I would image MY 2015 would would cover some vehicles later than 2015.

Post#16:
“the problem was not fixed until late 2015 :(so all 180 bi turbo engines to up to that age are effected”

Post#16:
“the problem was not fixed until late 2015 :(so all 180 bi turbo engines to up to that age are effected”

T6 came out it 2016, so isn’t this essentially saying all T5.1 180bhp engines could be affected?

For anyone left confused by those who argue that the problem only impacts 2010/2012 models, note the date of the latest engine off to the scrap yard.
Get your FACTs correct. IMG_0197.JPGIMG_0198.JPGIMG_0199.JPGIMG_0200.JPGIMG_0201.JPGIMG_0202.JPGIMG_0203.JPGIMG_0204.JPGIMG_0205.JPGIMG_0206.JPG

Post 2012 is a different problem that is NOT recognised by VW, unlike the 2010/12 Problem.

Just had a call from main dealers that have looked after and serviced my van from new. The All in warranty have agreed to pay for a brand new engine, there is a but though... they wont pay for a new diesel particulate filter, so they have said the total cost to me will be just under £1500 inc vat. If i didn't have the all in cover it would've cost in the region of £11000. I'll be giving the warranty people a call to find out why they wont cover the DPF. I'll keep you updated.

Just had a call from main dealers that have looked after and serviced my van from new. The All in warranty have agreed to pay for a brand new engine, there is a but though... they wont pay for a new diesel particulate filter, so they have said the total cost to me will be just under £1500 inc vat. If i didn't have the all in cover it would've cost in the region of £11000. I'll be giving the warranty people a call to find out why they wont cover the DPF. I'll keep you updated.
DPF is not normally covered under warranty as its seen a consumable by many manufacturers and warranty providers. Probably because its part of the exhaust. I would just get the new engine and count yourself lucky - many have had to pay the full bill out of their own pocket.

Last edited:

As much as it sucks to pay £1,500 I’d grab their offer with both hands.

I would be *very* particular about how the job is done; the EGR version etc.

I wouldn’t trust a VW mechanic personally, but no choice here.

Take their hand off, the DPF has a limited service life.
(although this is not made common knowledge by manufacturers.

Second all the comments and give yourself a pat on the back for your prudence in taking out the all in plan. ( Really surprised that VW did not exclude this engine variant from this type of failure)
Hopefully from WG’s evidence (post #53) new engine and new dpf will make this unlikely to happen again in your vehicle.

The exclusion of the dpf is in the All in Warranty T&C’s

“ Exhaust systems including diesel particulate filters (although catalytic converters are covered for internal failure only)”

https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam/bluelabel/valid/www-vwfs-co-uk/documents/VW_Warranty–Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Post 2012 is a different problem that is NOT recognised by VW
.... And the forum is littered with you rubbishing anyone warning members that all 180hp engines are at risk.
This case proves that they are.
I suggest sales of 'all in one' plans is going to skyrocket amongst 180 owners, maybe even in Wales.
Brilliant result for jukebox 70.

Dosent matter if VW claim its differt root cause after 2012 fact stands that the 180hp engine is not fit for purpose. Why any enthusiast on the forum would try to dispute this makes little sense and has potential for new owners to mistakenly buy a 180hp based upon unsound advice.

I would still be happy to hear both sides. Your view point seems to be that you have decided so all others should agree and no other view points are allowed, incase they give someone the chance to disagree with yours by deciding for themselves.

.... And the forum is littered with you rubbishing anyone warning members that all 180hp engines are at risk.
This case proves that they are.
I suggest sales of 'all in one' plans is going to skyrocket amongst 180 owners, maybe even in Wales.
Brilliant result for jukebox 70.
Better to be honest and truthful . Provide the evidence of Why SOME , NOT ALL, EGR s are corroding otherwise just accept that you don’t know the answers.

As I have said 2010/12 CFCA engine failures are accepted by VW as shown in their TPI.
Post 2012 a different matter, which also appears to be affecting some 180 and also some 199/204 engines.

If you were warning prospective buyers that some 180 engines are at risk of premature failure instead of the constant untruth of ALL 180s being rubbish then I wouldn’t have to keep correcting your false statement, which I will continue doing until you correct it.

That makes the All in Warranty look like a bargain in your case. I don't think £1500 is too bad as a total cost for a complete new engine on a van your age. Its annoying that you have to pay anything at all but it could be a lot lot worse.

Better to be honest and truthful . Provide the evidence of Why SOME , NOT ALL, EGR s are corroding otherwise just accept that you don’t know the answers.

As I have said 2010/12 CFCA engine failures are accepted by VW as shown in their TPI.
Post 2012 a different matter, which also appears to be affecting some 180 and also some 199/204 engines.

If you were warning prospective buyers that some 180 engines are at risk of premature failure instead of the constant untruth of ALL 180s being rubbish then I wouldn’t have to keep correcting your false statement, which I will continue doing until you correct it.
Yep, some 180s are at risk. Who knows how many but it's many multiples of any other engine ever supplied by vw. Your rubbishing of any correlation is as shocking as your denial of the link between smoking and lung cancer. You are on the wrong side of this one and it really harms the massive contribution you generally make to the forum.

Ok try this their is a known root cause affecting 180hp engines pre 2012 which VW acknowledge and you would be wise to not risk the chance of a £7k new engine in a cali your about to purchase. Their are also cases of later 180hp engines upto its end of manufacture coinciding with T6 introduction. Their is not a similar pattern of failures on the 140hp engine therfore to avoid the risk of needing a new engine likely with no forewarning it would we worth putting your money into a more reliable 140hp engine.

Your argument over semantics dont help anyone faced with needing a new engine. People should be aware of the financial risk they are taking, when compared to the 140hp variant.

Yep, some 180s are at risk. Who knows how many but it's many multiples of any other engine ever supplied by vw. Your rubbishing of any correlation is as shocking as your denial of the link between smoking and lung cancer. You are on the wrong side of this one and it really harms the massive contribution you generally make to the forum.
One day you will learn to read and evaluate facts and evidence.
The fact that you persist in stating that I deny the link between smoking and cancer is a travesty of what was said, in fact a lie. But you are well versed in stating untruths to suit your purpose.

Your argument over semantics dont help anyone faced with needing a new engine. People should be aware of the financial risk they are taking, when compared to the 140hp variant.
If you wish to drive a California with an underpowered engine then that is your right.
I have always told prospective buyers of the problems but I have not been untruthful by stating All 180s should be avoided.

For anyone reading what he did say, you can start here Post in thread 'Losing oil somewhere?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/losing-oil-somewhere.43211/post-560133
Or take a peak here...
View attachment 100776
Just like I said you just cannot assimilate the facts.
Smoking is the main cause, no dispute there, but there are other causes, which you just cannot comprehend, that are frequently responsible for cases of lung cancer in non-smokers.

Why don’t you educate yourself, if you are capable.

With the 180 the EGR is the cause of the damage BUT if it was the one and only cause and due to a defective EGR then all 180s would be affected, and they are not.

E8D13108-11C1-4D7E-9E4A-FDC152BAB79A.jpeg

Better be honest and truthful. You yourself have confirmed in different posts that no one can tell which 180s will fail, which makes them all suspect (although I am certain that VW, with its enormous research resources, knows much more than they are admitting). But then you have claimed, as @2into1 confirmed in post #70 above, that smoking doesn't cause cancer, because not all smokers get cancer. I won't be smoking or buying a 180 to test my luck with your misguided medical or mechanical semantics.

I insist on calling attention to this because members of the forum need to know that you've chosen to mislead them instead of owning up to and correcting your mistaken claim that post 2012 180s are not affected by the disintegrating EGR issue. Especially egregious are your posts with insults directed to other forum members who themselves have experienced catastrophic EGR failure.

Last edited:
Everyone just take a chill pill! This is a fun place remember. We don’t want anyone storming out over a daft argument.
Just be honest on the web, if you don’t really know the answer then say so or say nothing.
:cheers

Better be honest and truthful. You yourself have confirmed in different posts that no one can tell which 180s will fail, which makes them all suspect (although I am certain that VW, with its enormous research resources, knows much more than they are admitting). But then you have claimed, as @2into1 confirmed in post #70 above, that smoking doesn't cause cancer, because not all smokers get cancer. I won't be smoking or buying a 180 to test my luck with your misguided medical or mechanical semantics.

I insist on calling attention to this because members of the forum need to know that you've chosen to mislead them instead of owning up to and correcting your mistaken claim that post 2012 180s are not affected by the disintegrating EGR issue. Especially egregious are your posts with insults directed to other forum members who themselves have experienced catastrophic EGR failure.
I was wondering when you would pop up. Once again someone who persists in publishing incorrect information and just doesn't understand the concept of cause and effect.
I suggest you go and have another Solar heated bath which you are so fond of taking, and I'll continue driving my 8 yr old 180 now on almost 120,000 miles and a 2014 EGR that doesn't use any oil.

Enjoy playing with your rubber duck.

With the 180 the EGR is the cause of the damage BUT if it was the one and only cause and due to a defective EGR then all 180s would be affected, and they are not.
Sorry, as a statement of implied logic that is bonkers.

(The one and only cause of houses being shaken to the point of collapse is earthquakes, which is in no way disproved by the fact that not all the universe of all houses around the world do end up being shaken down. Nor even that all houses subjected to an earthquake will be shaken down.)

As an owner of a 2015 180 I'm fully aware that there is (1) a known incidence of some EGRs fitted to that engine type becoming defective; and (2) that such defects are known in some cases to cause catastrophic engine damage. That is sufficient to explain that there's a risk - although unquantifiable - that my engine might become affected. It's not necessary to prove the existence of any other, non-EGR driven, factor.

Meanwhile, here is a better explanation:

Back