New No Claims Discount issue

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I guess most of us are familiar with the fact that a no Claims Bonus / Discount can only be used on one vehicle, and that Motorhome 'no claims' is a bit different to normal no claims... but today I hit a new problem....

My 9 years NCB was built initially on cars, but for the last 3 years was used against my Cali as it was my only vehicle.

I've now sold my Cali, and have got my proof of no claims from my previous insurer (Adrian Flux) which shows it as "Motorhome NCB entitlement "

I've tried to apply it against my car policy and they won't accept it, treating it as if it's some form of 'shadow' no claims that are often given on motorhome policies (that earn you some discount without actually offering up your NCD).

Has anyone had a similar issue and managed to resolve it?

It seems that actually having 9 years NCD doesn't actually offer you the savings a thought it did! I thought it would halve the price vs entering zero NCD, but it's actually only about 15%.

Even so, I don't relish starting from scratch again, just because a couple of years of it was earned on a Cali.

I guess most of us are familiar with the fact that a no Claims Bonus / Discount can only be used on one vehicle, and that Motorhome 'no claims' is a bit different to normal no claims... but today I hit a new problem....

My 9 years NCB was built initially on cars, but for the last 3 years was used against my Cali as it was my only vehicle.

I've now sold my Cali, and have got my proof of no claims from my previous insurer (Adrian Flux) which shows it as "Motorhome NCB entitlement "

I've tried to apply it against my car policy and they won't accept it, treating it as if it's some form of 'shadow' no claims that are often given on motorhome policies (that earn you some discount without actually offering up your NCD).

It seems that actually having 9 years NCD doesn't actually offer you the savings a thought it did! I thought it would halve the price vs entering zero NCD, but it's actually only about 15%.

Even so, I don't relish starting from scratch again, just because a couple of years of it was earned on a Cali.
It’s almost as if insurance companies are just scumbags only interested in max profit?

you would think it would be the driver that builds the ncd,but alas.no. i noticed that protecting ncd also doesn't work as you still have to declare if you've had a prang in the last 5 years,which then puts the price up. so what does the ncd protection do then ? nothing.
can you still use your 9years ?

you would think it would be the driver that builds the ncd,but alas.no. i noticed that protecting ncd also doesn't work as you still have to declare if you've had a prang in the last 5 years,which then puts the price up. so what does the ncd protection do then ? nothing.
can you still use your 9years ?
You have to separate the premium and the discount. E.g say you have 20% ncd, no claims so premium is £500 or £400 after discount. After a claim that premium may go up to £1000 so your protected 20% discount will only now get you to £800.

It's a misconception that protecting ncd means your premium won't go up. You are protecting the discount, not the premium.

In Australia its the driver that's insured, not the vehicle, apparently.

In Australia its the driver that's insured, not the vehicle, apparently.
Interesting way of thinking about it. I wonder if the driver is then insured to drive all vehicles - Minis and McClarens…

Have you any ncb proof or renewal quotes from your previous car policy, new insurer should honour that.

Have you any ncb proof or renewal quotes from your previous car policy, new insurer should honour that.
Could only use those “car ncd” back to 2 years.
If they are 3 years ago, then they are null.
When I had company cars, I’d insure the wife’s car one year, the next year, the wife would be main driver and visa versa. For many years to keep my nice up.
Worked nicely and we both have 9 years nice now.

Could only use those “car ncd” back to 2 years.
If they are 3 years ago, then they are null.
When I had company cars, I’d insure the wife’s car one year, the next year, the wife would be main driver and visa versa. For many years to keep my nice up.
Worked nicely and we both have 9 years nice now.
Things might have changed but insurance company credited me with previous ncd a few years back after i had a few years gap using a works vehicle.

I would argue that a Cali is not a “motor home “ its classed as a “motor caravan“ or “Diesel Car “?

You have to separate the premium and the discount. E.g say you have 20% ncd, no claims so premium is £500 or £400 after discount. After a claim that premium may go up to £1000 so your protected 20% discount will only now get you to £800.

It's a misconception that protecting ncd means your premium won't go up. You are protecting the discount, not the premium.
Interesting. If it works like this, doesn’t that defeat the whole entire point of NCDs?

I thought the point of the NCD is that the premium is always the same regardless of history. And if you have X years of no claims, you get a discount on the premium.

Interesting. If it works like this, doesn’t that defeat the whole entire point of NCDs?

I thought the point of the NCD is that the premium is always the same regardless of history. And if you have X years of no claims, you get a discount on the premium.
No doubt that's what they want you to think, bad as we all know insurance cos don't like to give anything for free.

All things being equal yeah you would expect each year of discount to reduce the premium a little, and it does work a little bit like that up to a point (certainly the first few years as you have reducing premium as well as increasing discount). But there are so many variables involved with premiums.

AF does car insurance could you take out car insurance with them this year then move next year or will AF not honor your full NCB

That gives me another strong argument to never give up having a Cali !!

AF does car insurance could you take out car insurance with them this year then move next year or will AF not honor your full NCB
I will be trying that, but they weren't very competitive vs the market when I first reached out (for the car. Obviously they were good for the lhd Cali).

Back