Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean 4motion coming Wednesday.

Doesn’t matter about any powered anti-snake device. Normally those 2 power supplies run the Caravan fridge continuously and charge the Caravan leisure battery when the engine is running, when the caravan is Hooked upto the vehicle.
Anyway, any Electric anti-snake device is normally powered from the caravan 12v leisure system which is continuously charged by the towing vehicle. So for short trips you don't need the towing vehicle 12v supply for the system to work correctly as long as the Caravan leisure battery is fully charged.

Thank you Paul.

To be honest I've never had cause to investigate and I doubt I have the technical competence to anyway.

As long as when I hitch up all the indicators work, the fridge is cold at the end of the trip and the battery shows full charge I have been happy.

I'm now vaguely intrigued by electric anti-snake and wondering if what I pick up tomorrow will have such a device fitted.

Thank you Paul.

To be honest I've never had cause to investigate and I doubt I have the technical competence to anyway.

As long as when I hitch up all the indicators work, the fridge is cold at the end of the trip and the battery shows full charge I have been happy.

I'm now vaguely intrigued by electric anti-snake and wondering if what I pick up tomorrow will have such a device fitted.
Okay well ..for your information and a bit of a heads up....I pick my new vehicle up tomorrow but the wiring to the factory fitted tow-bar electrics does not include a permanent live so the Alco anti snake, the fridge and the charger will not work during towing. There is a cable available supplied by VW to provide that connection and the preferred route is to remove the kitchen run the cable internally from the front of the vehicle then refit the kitchen, an expensive job !!...an alternative is to run the cable under the van (but protected) which is the option i am going for...so the cable has been ordered and the vehicle will go back in to have the work done. Of course you can opt not to have the supply and live with that but if you do you must inform your insurer that the anti skate it not operational as certainly with mine you get an extra discount for having it fitted and it is presumed working and if the worst happened and there was an accident and there was no anti snake working it could void the claim I am told.
so if you have a tow bar fitted and want all the pins working as standard in the UK you need to discuss with your dealer to plan the additional work.
This is the same with factory fitted tow bars on my previous X5s but I think they took a feed from something else to make it easy however my VW dealer won’t offer that option....playing by the book!!...but hey I am keeping this for a number of years so best to get it right from the start.
I hope this info is of use to some buyers who intend towing a caravan

Okay well ..for your information and a bit of a heads up....I pick my new vehicle up tomorrow but the wiring to the factory fitted tow-bar electrics does not include a permanent live so the Alco anti snake, the fridge and the charger will not work during towing. There is a cable available supplied by VW to provide that connection and the preferred route is to remove the kitchen run the cable internally from the front of the vehicle then refit the kitchen, an expensive job !!...an alternative is to run the cable under the van (but protected) which is the option i am going for...so the cable has been ordered and the vehicle will go back in to have the work done. Of course you can opt not to have the supply and live with that but if you do you must inform your insurer that the anti skate it not operational as certainly with mine you get an extra discount for having it fitted and it is presumed working and if the worst happened and there was an accident and there was no anti snake working it could void the claim I am told.
so if you have a tow bar fitted and want all the pins working as standard in the UK you need to discuss with your dealer to plan the additional work.
This is the same with factory fitted tow bars on my previous X5s but I think they took a feed from something else to make it easy however my VW dealer won’t offer that option....playing by the book!!...but hey I am keeping this for a number of years so best to get it right from the start.
I hope this info is of use to some buyers who intend towing a caravan

Thank you. Very important information there and I am sure a lot of people will benefit from it.

I am fairly sure the battery on my old Eriba was charged by the vehicle. It was always full when we arrived and the fridge, running off the 12v system, was always cold.

My new van, which I picked up on Tuesday, does not have a fridge that runs off 12v anyway, something that surprised me, but as it is only ever going to be on a site with EHU and with journey times of no more than 6 hours it does not concern me. Battery charging does, but then as I will be going from A to B with no 12v accessories running I should not worry me.

Good luck with everything. Please let us know how it all goes.