Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean

New Ocean on Sept 1st- first time campervaner. Two adults one child. If you could give me one tip what would it be? Thanks in advance.
Read all the previous posts in which a gazillion well meant and very usefull tips are given to newcomers by experienced california-owners ;-)

The most useful bit of information I now have is: If the van is in Park, (not too much of a slope) you can release the handbreak to turn the driver’s seat. Memories of trying to hold down brake pedal whilst hubby sorted seat, and trapped fingers between handbrake and revolving base. Enjoy and welcome.

use it. cook in it. use the sink. drink out of the tap. alot don't. i've seen people stand out in the rain cooking rather than use the burners
I saw the Kinging It couple have fitted a water filter for drinking water. No need?

I would have said it depends on where you are filling your tank, what you are using the water for and how risk adverse you are.

We fill normally from UK taps or when abroad bottled water, & would happily drink it straight from the tap.

Develop a mental routine for checking everything is in correct state for driving off.
e.g. EHU disconnected (painful lesson learnt, i put a reminder sticker on driver window now)

Do a local stay somewhere and pack light. You can always nip home then if you forget your toothbrush.
New Ocean on Sept 1st- first time campervaner. Two adults one child. If you could give me one tip what would it be? Thanks in advance.

Less is more so pack light. Constantly moving stuff about to do anything it is a PITA
Agreed @Aubisque
Took us a while but we’ve learned to pack for the type of trip we’re doing and not load up the van with everything we have. For example if we’re pitching up for several days at a site we’ll pack our awning front and side panels, if we’re touring with single night stops, we won’t.

As others have alluded to, don’t go out and buy loads of ‘stuff’. To me, that just defeats the object of having a California.

As others have alluded to, don’t go out and buy loads of ‘stuff’. To me, that just defeats the object of having a California.
I’d say that even the essentials add up to ‘loads of stuff’. Depends on an individual’s idea of what’s essential :)

My essentials would be:-
25m hook up cable (and associated cables etc)
Hose pipe
Porta Potti
Duvet, linen, pillows
Kettle
Cooking pans
Crockery and cutlery
Gas bottle
Levelling ramps
Bike rack (towbar in our case)
Groundsheet
Basic tool set
Towrope
Air pump
Consumables i.e. toilet rolls
Clothes Line

2nd tier of ‘essentials’:-
Outside cooker (and 2nd gas bottle)
Table for the above.
Awning sides and tie down straps.
Thermal covers (windscreen and pop-top)

Nice to haves:-
Pop up toilet tent
Slide out rear tray
Entertainment i.e. TV (We use an iPad)
Windbreak
Fly sheet (fits on awing or on the passenger side rail.
Additional kitchen drawers.

and then there are indulgences :)

Last edited:
I’d say that even the essentials add up to ‘loads of stuff’. Depends on an individual’s idea of what’s essential :)

My essentials would be:-
25m hook up cable (and associated cables etc)
Hose pipe
Porta Potti
Duvet, linen, pillows
Kettle
Cooking pans
Crockery and cutlery
Gas bottle
Levelling ramps
Bike rack (towbar in our case)
Groundsheet
Basic tool set
Towrope
Air pump
Consumables i.e. toilet rolls
Clothes Line

2nd tier of ‘essentials’:-
Outside cooker (and 2nd gas bottle)
Table for the above.
Awning sides and tie down straps.
Thermal covers (windscreen and pop-top)

Nice to haves:-
Pop up toilet tent
Slide out rear tray
Entertainment i.e. TV (We use an iPad)
Windbreak
Fly sheet (fits on awing or on the passenger side rail.
Additional kitchen drawers.

and then there are indulgences :)

The ‘stuff’ is the issue. I remember when we hired a Cali before buying our first Ocean. Park up, roof up, spin chairs, awning out, sat outside with a cold beer 5 minutes later. That was a major appeal of it to me. Now we have toppers, loo tents etc etc, then the reverse to pack it all up. I’m seriously thinking a 540 / 600 Hymer or Knaus is the answer to give us back the ability to tour without all the faff.

The ‘stuff’ is the issue. I remember when we hired a Cali before buying our first Ocean. Park up, roof up, spin chairs, awning out, sat outside with a cold beer 5 minutes later. That was a major appeal of it to me. Now we have toppers, loo tents etc etc, then the reverse to pack it all up. I’m seriously thinking a 540 / 600 Hymer or Knaus is the answer to give us back the ability to tour without all the faff.
Get that totally @Elmo3
Even after trying to rationalise the ‘stuff’ for our forthcoming Outer Hebrides trip, we’ll probably still pack too much!
Just deliberating how many pairs of underpants to take for 15 days :)

The most important tip: always have the sliding door or a window open while you're opening or closing the pop-top.

A full set of carpets and seat covers.
Easily cleaned and still looking good after 3 years 32k miles about 8k camping use.

8A67B9C4-8AE1-4757-9E17-9407AD025752.jpeg

097C5583-CD46-4EC0-912A-41E0A36F7CA6.jpeg

Buy some foam block (the type used for storing figurines in a case). Cut it into blocks to fit the sections in your cutlery draw, then cut a slot for each knife/fork/spoon). No rattles and definitely worth the effort. Also buy non-slip matting for the cupboards.