Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'New old van' for long time member

Loving the love for the older T5's, I think ours is fab. (2008 SE 174)
"With my auto electrician Cali owning mate we've fitted a £30 hidden attachment to bring music streaming to the original 'period' stereo I was keen to keep." <- what did you use for this?

I currently have a bluetooth to FM transmitter, which is OK, but is a bit iffy at times & so I'm looking for a more robust solution. Clearly a new head unit fixes this in an instance, but at >£30 !

^ @Big Ted This was the device. It just plugs in the back of your stereo where the cd multichanger would have gone. Ground the loop connector to the stereo body. Took 2 mins once we managed to extract the stereo!

You just press the CD button (twice initially) to access it. Works great. There is a very slight 'whine' linked to revs if your phone volume is low and listening to speech, but virtually disappears if phone volume turned up. You can skip tracks using the buttons on the stereo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FP6WNG8/?tag=eliteelect-21
Mine was £27, they've gone up a little.
It doesn't help with taking phone calls (as there is no mic). If a call comes in, the bluetooth streaming pauses and I use my phone conventionally, on a simple air vent holder.

Curious to know more about replacing the leisure batteries please?
What is the sequence of isolation and separation. More importantly, what needs re setting and turning back on after the replacement batteries are re connected? How hard is the passenger seat to lift, any good solutions?

Like very much the new wheels and covers.
We have started 2020 journeys already, despite the weather.
Trust you will have some great trips in mind.

@Abracadabra I'm afraid I was chief spanner holder whilst Mark did the technical stuff... Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone points you to a written guide here. He's near Matlock if you fancy a trip down and you have other stereo / towbar type jobs needed that would justify the trip.
I do remember he has a wedge of wood specially sized to wedge the front seat up while he works.

Inspirational thread - as a serial collector of old cars and machines finding an owner like Ben is the thing of dreams. It's great to find something that's been cared for properly and stands the test of time. I have just bought a nearly identical RHD 2008 SE for many of the same reasons as you - it's a bit like getting back in my MK4 Golf and all the more characterful as a result.

I have the same (immaculate and unmarked) interior and with the addition of two children and a black lab i'm keen for covers - are the ones above still made? Otherwise if you fancy selling on the INKAs.....

Cheers!
David.

i'm keen for covers - are the ones above still made? Otherwise if you fancy selling on the INKAs....
I'll probably hold on to my Inkas for what they are worth 2nd hand, but they are for sale on ebay for £120 if I remember. I found the fit better than some report here, and do a great job with coping with difficult 'loads'!

I think the stripy ones are still available but £300 or £400...they are Inka too.

Thanks for your kind words about the van. Good look with yours.

(edit: just checked ebay. Both types still available at £120 and £399...and some with Cali logo embroidered. The £120 ones stand alone for price and practicality, but the more expensive have competition from Brandrup and the Club shop's own)

I'll probably hold on to my Inkas for what they are worth 2nd hand, but they are for sale on ebay for £120 if I remember. I found the fit better than some report here, and do a great job with coping with difficult 'loads'!

I think the stripy ones are still available but £300 or £400...they are Inka too.

Thanks for your kind words about the van. Good look with yours.

(edit: just checked ebay. Both types still available at £120 and £399...and some with Cali logo embroidered. The £120 ones stand alone for price and practicality, but the more expensive have competition from Brandrup and the Club shop's own)

Thanks - I was struggling to find covers for my 2008 T5 - most seem to be for the 2011 model year onwards. Do you know if the later ones fit (bar the head rests which are clearly different)

Thanks - I was struggling to find covers for my 2008 T5 - most seem to be for the 2011 model year onwards. Do you know if the later ones fit (bar the head rests which are clearly different)
Oh I'd forgotten the headrest saga. So as far as I know, it's only the front headrests that differ. The newer models (5.1 on?) have larger front head rests. My Inkas were used on my T6 and my free cycle ones were also for the bigger headrests, but with a bit of tucking will work on our 'original' T5s. You could also leave them off if you didn't want the baggy look. It's only the front head rests impacted.

Hi, any interest in swapping to better fitting head restraint covers?? I have the Brandrup 2nd skin covers in Moonrock Grey from a T5 on my T6 and the head restraint covers are unused as they are too small for the larger headrests on the T6.
I’m happy to do a swap. Cheers, Mike

Hi, any interest in swapping to better fitting head restraint covers?? I have the Brandrup 2nd skin covers in Moonrock Grey from a T5 on my T6 and the head restraint covers are unused as they are too small for the larger headrests on the T6.
I’m happy to do a swap. Cheers, Mike
Thanks for the offer and I'm tempted, but I have 'commitment issues' regarding van ownership so will keep mine and the future flexibility they may offer.
I'd be surprised if someone here doesn't take you up on your offer though... And swapping brandrup for brandrup will ensure an exact color match. Perhaps try an add in the accessories for sale section?

Errrm...
Because you've seen mine and you knew it would never be for sale
realised that it does everything that an Ocean does so you decided
to copy me :D go on admit it, i don't mind:D
View attachment 54753

Love them sport line wheels, used to have a set on my old panel van. Miss them, and the van.

Curious to know more about replacing the leisure batteries please?
What is the sequence of isolation and separation. More importantly, what needs re setting and turning back on after the replacement batteries are re connected? How hard is the passenger seat to lift, any good solutions?

Like very much the new wheels and covers.
We have started 2020 journeys already, despite the weather.
Trust you will have some great trips in mind.
Take a look at this for the battery change procedure...
LEISURE BATTERY REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...harger-to-replace-vw-split-charge-relay.23466/

Also a great deal on the Varta LA80 batteries from Tanya only on eBay until 31St Jan...