Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

New Solar Panel

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Jason craig, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jason craig

Jason craig JAS VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    OK, so i bit the bullet and purchased a 280w solar panel and the best MPPT i could get. I have made a metal tray for the panel that fits nicely into the roof rails.
    My question is, whats the best way of bringing the cables into the vehical. I would prefer not to see cables running down the roof.
    Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

2. bigmac77

bigmac77 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Search for solar panels on the forum there are a few threads with lots of installation photos.

3. SimonB

SimonB Steam in Snowdonia Staff Member VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    This is quite a long thread, but here is a link to the relevant part of it.
    https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...5-facelift-waiting-roof-rot-work.10526/page-3
    I had mine done like this and it works well. No leaks and no holes to drill. Simon

4. sapto

sapto VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 130
    Year:
    Although it is in German there are some great pictures: http://www.caliboard.de/showthread....%E0-la-pupsili&p=155963&viewfull=1#post155963

I hope you do not have to be member to see the full sized pictures... otherwise I am happy to printscreen them for you.

5. T4WFA

T4WFA VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T4 Hightop
    Year:
    That's a lovely high capacity and will make a huge difference to how you can use the van :). Physically, how big is it? I'm assuming it doesn't overhang the ends ;)

6. Jason craig

Jason craig JAS VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    It's 1600x990 so it fits between the rails. I had a tray manufactured that sits on and secures to the rails. The tray is recessed so the top of the panel is the same hight as the rail. I will put pics up once fully installed

• Like Like x 3