Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel Cable Clips

S

spitzie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am going to purchase a Solar Panel kit from Roger and have a quick question for all those who have already installed a similar panel.
Please can you tell me what you have used to secure the cable over the roof from the panel to the tailgate.

No clips as such. Just a couple of cable ties on the connector end.

The distance between the connector and the tailgate wasn't that great, but it did on occasion stick up from the tailgate but was easily pushed down.

I've now upgraded to the curly cable roger supplies and that means the cable pretty much looks after itself. Not sure if that is standard or an upgrade but well worth it.

The flat cable holds itself down through stiffness, and also the fact the slack is tucked in the tailgate space, acting as an "anchor". Only a short part of the cable is on the roof between the panel and the rear.

The curly cord stays flat but is bigger. It is an upgrade.

R

I am going to purchase a Solar Panel kit from Roger and have a quick question for all those who have already installed a similar panel.
Please can you tell me what you have used to secure the cable over the roof from the panel to the tailgate.
Stick On cable clips. Been on for 4 years on the roof. Still firm.

I do usually put three in the kits for general use.

I do usually put three in the kits for general use.
Can you unclip the cable close to the panel so that you don't have to permanently wire behind body work, you could just connect the wire for when camping and run it between the tailgate and main body through to the leisure battery on a beach?

Can you unclip the cable close to the panel so that you don't have to permanently wire behind body work, you could just connect the wire for when camping and run it between the tailgate and main body through to the leisure battery on a beach?

Yep, and that was how it was initially designed. The panel has a waterproof connector right by it, so you can unplug it, and put the cable inside the van if you want. When in use, just shut it in the door, on the side, to discourage water ingress through the rubber seal.

Yep, and that was how it was initially designed. The panel has a waterproof connector right by it, so you can unplug it, and put the cable inside the van if you want. When in use, just shut it in the door, on the side, to discourage water ingress through the rubber seal.
Roger,
If I order single panel with viltron 290w 100/20 controller could i add an extra panel at a later date if needed, presumably you would not be able to do this with the cheaper Victron.

Hi - yes, the 100/20 allows plenty of capacity to add a second panel at a later date.

The 75/15 will cope, and I've been selling them with x2 110w panels a lot in the past and they are all going stroong. They are rated at 220watts. My new panels are 120w so that's 240w, which is over. BUT - they are rated at 15 amps and 2 x 120w panels will produce around 12amps max in the real world (panels never produce what they are specced at as the ratings are under ideal conditions - bright high sun AND cold).

So you can get away with a 75/15. The 100/20 has more leeway.

Stick On cable clips. Been on for 4 years on the roof. Still firm.
Resurrecting this thread as interesting on solar is growing on me.
1)Will the clips prevent both noise and potential paint damage from the cable moving, flapping while driving?
2)if so, does the extra cable needed to allow for the roof popping up, need to be tucked in every time?
2)I can see the merit of the new stretchy curly cord to solve problem in 2), but it looks as it could do even more noise and possible paint damage , being even more difficult to secure with clips. If this worry founded?

I might be a bit anal, fair enough, but wouldn't a cable that is flat for the length between the solar panel and the edge of the tailgate (therefore secured with clips), and then be of the stretchy curly type from the edge of the tailgate for a lenght of 10" curled up to allow for the panel to pop up?

Basically I would like to close the roof and drive, no additional work, and don't want things flapping when on the motorway, nor the autobahn at 100mph.

You want the curly one. If you are concerned about paint fretting then put some PPF onto the roof in that area. Im watching mine and so far no evidence of damage but it does roll about easily so if I see any evidence of damage i will get some PPF.
With the panel mounted rear most you only need the curly ( I have two panels), one end on the frame the other under the tailgate.

The regular flat cable does not flap about. It is quite rigid cable. Yes, you have to tuck the excess in behind the boot when you put the roof down, but it takes seconds and its not a daily activity for most people.

If I made a curly cord that started at the end of the roof, it would be so short that there would be no point. There needs to be a reasonable length so that there is enough of the cable to extend and retract without damaging it / over stretching it.

I've had no complaints of noise or damage, but I really can't get involved in autobahn conversations. I sell to plenty of people that drive the autobahns with no issues but I'm not going to guarantee my systems at speeds over 100mph. They are probably fine, but it's not something I'm going to guarantee.

Last edited: