Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California solar panel cable routing

G

GrandCalifornia680

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I have finally found a way to get solar panel cables down from the ceiling to the tech cabinet. I tried several ways before this "simple" path reviled itself.
The big side trim along the left bed needs to come lose, at least the rear part of it, so that one can use the inside of the vehicles rear left corner to guide a cable to the floor of the vehicle. see pictures.
I hope this helps someone, there are probably more ways to get wires down. Please share if you know how.
IMG-5354.jpgIMG-5353.jpgIMG-5351.jpg

I thought the solar wiring in the roof space down to the utility cabinet was present independent of factory fit of solar panels ??

I thought the solar wiring in the roof space down to the utility cabinet was present independent of factory fit of solar panels ??
Correct, and all wired back to the control panel, so once connected including the hardware just activate on the control panel.

Last edited:
So, could I buy the panel directly from Solbian and install it by connecting to the pre-installed setup in the van, in addition to the controller? Would I need anything else? A tutorial for this installation would be amazing

Yes. Solbian sell the OEM panel. You can either buy the same Votronic MPPT as used in the GC or an alternative. The Victron versions have inbuilt Bluetooth (you need a Bluetooth adapter for the Votronic one). Check underneath the headlining on your GC to ensure the factory wiring is there. Look from the skylight, the trim pulls away, it’s just Velcro.

So, could I buy the panel directly from Solbian and install it by connecting to the pre-installed setup in the van, in addition to the controller? Would I need anything else? A tutorial for this installation would be amazing
Look 5his up on the forum it shows all for the GC 600

GRAND CALIFORNIA 600 SOLAR PANEL RETROFIT​

Yes. Solbian sell the OEM panel. You can either buy the same Votronic MPPT as used in the GC or an alternative. The Victron versions have inbuilt Bluetooth (you need a Bluetooth adapter for the Votronic one). Check underneath the headlining on your GC to ensure the factory wiring is there. Look from the skylight, the trim pulls away, it’s just Velcro.
Helpful info Gordon.

When I pull away the liner to check for the wiring I see the wiring for the antenna clearly coming from the antenna and then along the far left side (drivers side for my EU van) of the roof line I see a two cables- black and red (fairly thick)- I can't really tell where they come from- is that the wiring? They seem to go down and disappear behind the wet room.

We are looking at retrofitting solar (didn't come with our used GC600) and just trying to verify if we are pre-wired or if that is something we would have to address as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is the best picture of the wires I could get.

wires.jpg

The black and red ones are solar +&-. They should terminate in the utility cupboard. Remove the blank panels under the consumer unit and you should be able to locate them.

The black and red ones are solar +&-. They should terminate in the utility cupboard. Remove the blank panels under the consumer unit and you should be able to locate them.
Thank you!!! Very Helpful....as always!!

Back