Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New speed limit for central London

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
TfL has announced that from 2 March roads in central London will have a blanket 20 mph speed limit. In my experience, you’d be very lucky to get anywhere near 20 mph at most times of the day. So no change there then. Except, of course the fund raising opportunities when traffic is actually free-flowing.

I have always said that any law is only as good as the ability to police it.

As you have suggested, it is almost a certainty that TFL will enforce this with cameras and extortionate penalty charges.

Other cities will follow.

What is the purpose of this speed restriction?

1. Cut polution?
2. Reduce injuries and deaths fro road accidents?
3. Raise revenue?

I may be wrong but I thought that it had been discovered that both polution and injuries etc had risen as a result of traffic calming measures. If this is true then that only leaves point 3.

Traffic Calming with its contraflow priorities, speed bumps are conter productive in pollution terms but shouldn't be confused with speed restrictions, 20MPH in this instance.

Presume that the traffic flow would be better at 20 with less time stopped at lights etc. Bit like Smart motorways.

My experience of mpg figures + 20MPH are very low which only leaves a safety improvement and discouraging driving in the area to indirectly reduce pollution.

1. Cut polution?
3. Raise revenue?

I may be wrong but I thought that it had been discovered that both polution and injuries etc had risen as a result of traffic calming measures. If this is true then that only leaves point 3.
According to the announcement, #2. Target is zero deaths on London’s roads by 2041

According to the announcement, #2. Target is zero deaths on London’s roads by 2041
Does that speed limit apply to ALL vehicles on the public highway?

Cameras and APNR cameras will not be of much use for Cyclists and those using the new craze of electric scooters etc:

Most of the City of London is 20 already as I noticed when I was in an Uber on Saturday morning

TfL has announced that from 2 March roads in central London will have a blanket 20 mph speed limit. In my experience, you’d be very lucky to get anywhere near 20 mph at most times of the day. So no change there then. Except, of course the fund raising opportunities when traffic is actually free-flowing.
They have had the 20 limit in Portsmouth for a few years now. Lots of people seem to ignore it and if you don’t have the capability to enforce it some people will continue to ignore it

They have had the 20 limit in Portsmouth for a few years now. Lots of people seem to ignore it and if you don’t have the capability to enforce it some people will continue to ignore it

Same situation in parts of Brighton & Hove; Although mainly in residential areas with lots of side roads, so can see the sense in it.

Does that speed limit apply to ALL vehicles on the public highway?

Cameras and APNR cameras will not be of much use for Cyclists and those using the new craze of electric scooters etc:

With very few exceptions, cyclists are not restricted by road speed limits. The relevant offence for cyclists is “wanton or furious cycling”.

One exception to this is the speed limits on roads in the Royal Parks.

I thought it was illegal to use electric scooters on the highway.

With very few exceptions, cyclists are not restricted by road speed limits. The relevant offence for cyclists is “wanton or furious cycling”.

One exception to this is the speed limits on roads in the Royal Parks.

I thought it was illegal to use electric scooters on the highway.
It is, but I would have thought you would have known about the young woman killed whilst using an electric scooter in South London.

1. Cut polution?
3. Raise revenue?

In their email TFL say, “if someone is hit at 30mph, they're five times more likely to die than if they are hit at 20mph.”

Speed limits on London’s roads are set by the local authority with the exception of red routes. These are set by TFL. The only changes are to Red Routes within the congestion charging zone which do not already have a 20mph limit.

Most inner London and several outer London boroughs already have blanket 20 mph limits.

On the residential roads between Red Routes, many London Boroughs are in the process of turning the web of roads into effective cup-de-sacs for larger vehicles such as cars, while allowing through traffic by smaller vehicles such as motorbikes and mobility scooters.

In their email TFL say, “if someone is hit at 30mph, they're five times more likely to die than if they are hit at 20mph".

A very good reason for the 20mph restrictions. However, I would suggest that the above has been known for decades. Forgive me for being cynical but I don't believe this is the sole reason.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Since 2013 when Islington was the first London borough to introduce a blanket 20mph restriction, TfL has come under increased pressure to introduce 20 mph limits on red routes through those boroughs.

I expect that within a few years all Inner London non grade separated red routes will have a 20mph limit.

Red routes make up 5% of London’s roads and carry 30% of London’s traffic.

It is, but I would have thought you would have known about the young woman killed whilst using an electric scooter in South London.

Tragic. I’d neither heard of the victim or the incident. I do know that the HGV left hook is a very common cause of cycling deaths. The HGV pulls to the right to make a left turn and either because the driver hasn’t looked or hasn’t correctly adjusted mirrors, or simply poor lorry design, doesn’t see the cyclist and crushes them.

Cyclists can mitigate the risk by not passing big vehicles on the inside, or if a large vehicle pulls alongside gaining eye contact with the driver. But in some circumstances there is little the cyclist can do, especially if the driver is distracted by something else.

London (the Mayor) is killing itself.

Tragic. I’d neither heard of the victim or the incident. I do know that the HGV left hook is a very common cause of cycling deaths. The HGV pulls to the right to make a left turn and either because the driver hasn’t looked or hasn’t correctly adjusted mirrors, or simply poor lorry design, doesn’t see the cyclist and crushes them.

Cyclists can mitigate the risk by not passing big vehicles on the inside, or if a large vehicle pulls alongside gaining eye contact with the driver. But in some circumstances there is little the cyclist can do, especially if the driver is distracted by something else.

No really fair Amarillo.

Needs to be an understanding

This may help. 32tonne would be an 8 wheeler rigid, very likely a tipper. All head movement is mirror checking. How many time do you check your mirrors.