Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

My order for a 199 ..... 4 motion on the 17 August is still yet to be given a build date. I am told that 204 engines have still not got the full RDE2 approval from the respective authorities hence the reason why there is little if any info on emissions and why it will not be sort for fitting until week 6 next year.
I am hoping mine will be built week 6 or 7 to have any chance of being in the UK before the end of March.
I am not holding my breath !!

I was given a provision build week 51 for my 150 ordered on 8 October. VW chat said it now has not been allocated a build week, and I should enquire in January. On the plus side I can tweak my options without affecting my (as yet unknown) delivery date.
I’ve convinced my better half we should add a towbar (for carrying bikes whilst allowing access to the tailgate), and the Dynamic Chassis Control which will prevent me obsessing over aftermarket suspension upgrades I hope. I’m also quietly adding Palmerston wheels and mudflaps...
Be onto DTD in the morning.
Every cloud.

Yes, agreed - more realistic is mid January. My thinking is that maybe they will be trying to squeeze as many as possible in 2020 before Brexit comes into force, but as you say who knows? It is a bit of a lottery by the looks of it...

...I’ve convinced my better half we should add a towbar (for carrying bikes whilst allowing access to the tailgate)...
I’m also trying a similar tact with my wife. I’m a cyclist but seems overkill for the odd occasion I’d want to carry my bike, but it’s about the only thing that’s been bugging me since we ordered in September. It’s a 4MO so should be a capable tower.
How much does it cost in total to add it?

I’m also trying a similar tact with my wife. I’m a cyclist but seems overkill for the odd occasion I’d want to carry my bike, but it’s about the only thing that’s been bugging me since we ordered in September. It’s a 4MO so should be a capable tower.
How much does it cost in total to add it?
£768. But it solves a problem. I think we’ll usually take 3 bikes with us, and being able to leave them locked to the van and get in the boot would be great. I won’t miss the money when it’s gone, but I’ll be glad with the rack I hope.
I’ve had cheaper quotes for after market removable towbars.
Then you need a rack. Thule look good, but significant differences in price - I wonder why I’d need more than this

£768. But it solves a problem. I think we’ll usually take 3 bikes with us, and being able to leave them locked to the van and get in the boot would be great. I won’t miss the money when it’s gone, but I’ll be glad with the rack I hope.
Then you need a rack. Thule look good, but significant differences in price - I wonder why I’d need more than this
Not all tiltable racks will allow the tailgate to open, so choose carefully. Plenty of information on the Forum regarding which ones work.

We have a 6.1 with factory fitted tow bar and Thule Velospace. All works perfectly. Tail gate opens.

We have a 6.1 with factory fitted tow bar and Thule Velospace. All works perfectly. Tail gate opens.
Good to know, thanks. It’s a bit more expensive though and I wonder what that gets you.
The Backspace XT addition that adds 300L of cargo space looks great too...

Good to know, thanks. It’s a bit more expensive though and I wonder what that gets you.
The Backspace XT addition that adds 300L of cargo space looks great too...
As WelshGas said, you need to be careful, not all tow bar mounted racks allow the tailgate to open. If you go to Roofracks.co.uk in Kent they will let you try the rack.

Interesting, i’ve been waiting for the Atera Genio Plus bike rack to come back in stock because I didn’t think the tailgate cleared the Thule Velospace. I’ll have another look. Thanks.

Interesting, i’ve been waiting for the Atera Genio Plus bike rack to come back in stock because I didn’t think the tailgate cleared the Thule Velospace. I’ll have another look. Thanks.
Here is a photo of the rack on the van - it is a Thule Velospace XT 939 with the extra 4th bike rack. I bought it from roof-bars.so.uk, they were super helpful. Sorry, I don't have a photo with the taligate open. The tailgate clears the rack but only by about 15mm, so it is tight but works.

It is a brilliant bit of kit, wish I had fitted a tow bar on my car years ago instead of faffing about putting the bikes on the roof.

1606903756844.png

I found that the total cost of Towbar + 4 Bike rack for it was going to be £1200 - £1500, cost of a boot mounted £550 with the added benefit that it is always there (assuming some addiitonal locking devices are added). I couldnt justify the extra and the annoyance of storing the rack somwhere when not in use.

Well here at last. Remember the comments about the power sliding door beeping noise well good news you hardly hear it now, well toned down I had to try it twice to see if it actually beeped. Aux heater working a treat long may that continue.17 weeks in total so not too bad.

8FDDF440-8DD1-493D-BC34-EEF2C23CC2D1.jpeg

Well here at last. Remember the comments about the power sliding door beeping noise well good news you hardly hear it now, well toned down I had to try it twice to see if it actually beeped. Aux heater working a treat long may that continue.17 weeks in total so not too bad.

View attachment 70601
Congrats, Looks great, Love the dub plate
My power slide door is really quiet too. I know some people arn't fans but I really like it

View attachment 70601
Bootifull

Bootifull

View attachment 70601

Looking good! Is that from Liverpool? I'm finally picking mine next Weds, only 42 weeks!

View attachment 70601
Awesome. Cool number plate as well.

Starlight Blue is a great stealth colour, love ours. Enjoy!!!

Thanks the number plate was a £250 dvla bargain *T6.1DUB in full, there was plenty available. Collected it from Preston same group as Liverpool there was another one in grey behind ready to go.

Dead easy @PhilR , Guy will chuck you the keys and tell you to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Covid is still in force so he leaves you to it, I told him I have seen every video alive so was quite confident I knew enough. I confirmed my warranty extension for 5 years the warranty certificate was was in my inbox by the time I got home (10 mins). He is so laid back and dead easy to deal with. There was another handover today and he had done 4 already this week!

In all fairness I just checked everything was there, didn't put the roof up it was pissoing down, checked the auxiliary heater that was fine, needs a high setting though 7+. Two bins provided one big un for the door and one for the cupholder and cargo net for the back.

Immediate shopping list, window deflectors defo, rains drips in from the roof when window is open. Ordered VW ones from there for £28 + vat, need some carpets for the back floors slippy when wet and some rubber mats for the front I think. Young lad in the parts dept was helpful. I need to practice my mounting and dismounting technique though the seat is high. Steering lighter than my car not used the handbrake yet just leave in Park :)

Last edited:
Do you still get the cup holders & towel rail to attach to the front of the kitchen?

Back