Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I wonder if Listers have been better communicators than Eurovans though. Eurovans haven’t contacted me once since Sending me the order confirmation in October. Fingers crossed you get your keys soon
I know the frustration. Autoebid have contacted me periodically with updates over the last 6 months. Listers haven't contacted me spontaneously although they do respond quite promptly to emails requesting updates. I doubt on the whole there is much difference between the two of them. Neither being ideal but maybe that's what happens when you accept these discounted deals.

Cause it will.
And my money is still earning a bit of interest in the bank. Maybe enough for 1 glass of wine
I've waited 25 years for a new 1 so a few more months ......
Sold the previous Cali last Oct (on the promise of the new one being delivered in April, oops...) and put the money in to premium bonds for the long wait. Can thoroughly recommend it, a monthly bout of excitement as the cheque (or email now) drops through the door. Returned c.4% over the last 6mths too :cool: , which isn’t bad and there’s always the one in a million chance....Offsets the disappointment of the dealer updates a little. Perhaps the extra couple of months will prove to be lucky....

Might be worth having one of these just to check now and in future.

Or a more expensive unit

I’ve ordered one and also posted on my earlier thread about Trailer Assist. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sold the previous Cali last Oct (on the promise of the new one being delivered in April, oops...) and put the money in to premium bonds for the long wait. Can thoroughly recommend it, a monthly bout of excitement as the cheque (or email now) drops through the door. Returned c.4% over the last 6mths too :cool: , which isn’t bad and there’s always the one in a million chance....Offsets the disappointment of the dealer updates a little. Perhaps the extra couple of months will prove to be lucky....
Fingers crossed for you. I think that makes the odds about the same as a Cali delivery before the end of summer. ;)

My dealer was very competitive compared to the DTD price, so all benefits of DTD savings but with main dealer backup, win win.
I thought Drive the deal introduced you to a main dealer. What are the downsides of having Eurovans instead of a full main dealer? They seem to both offer VW finance and assume warranty is valid?

I can't help feeling sorry for some of these dealers. These delays aren't their fault but I bet they're taking alot of flack for all this.
Agree. From what I can tell the dealers have little visibility of issues and delays and are equally (perhaps more) frustrated by poor comms. Of course the current situation is unprecedented but the flow of information from VW (UK or wider) to be passed on to customers seems poor. Whilst my dealer has been excellent in providing routine (much appreciated) weekly updates the reality is that they have rarely had anything of value to say. Not their fault, a classic case of don’t shoot the messenger.

HB
Hey Dodge, we are booked to come up to Northumberland in June...I am a keen wildlife photographer so going on the Farne Islands

Just thought, they pass Hull on route to you so probably drop mine off on route
hey Dodge..picking our up on the 23rd confirmed (well as sure as it can be) so like you exciting times...got to insure now...who did you go with and have our first test trip ...I am thinking Whitby...all this excitement can a man of 67 cope!!!.....getting a tracker fixed how about you

Not good news but it is what it is and they've been told to quote 12 months wait on all new orders
This feels like the right approach; at least the potential customer can make an informed decision rather than work to unrealistic expectations.

Something strange here, options a factor?? My Coast was 3 months from October order to dealer collection.

Something strange here, options a factor?? My Coast was 3 months from October order to dealer collection.
Yeah seems Coasts and Beaches are coming through quicker than Oceans. Think perhaps some options are causing delays too (towbar and sports pack mentioned)

I thought Drive the deal introduced you to a main dealer. What are the downsides of having Eurovans instead of a full main dealer? They seem to both offer VW finance and assume warranty is valid?
Yes finance and warranty valid. The downside is you are a number not a face, but I’ve read reports of the same from main dealers. Basically as I see it VW are in trouble like they’ve never had before with supply and demand and it doesn’t matter who you deal with, you’ll get little useful news from Hanover. Sad as it is, why not save thousands and order with Drive the Deal (better) or AutoEBid (best)?

Yes finance and warranty valid. The downside is you are a number not a face, but I’ve read reports of the same from main dealers. Basically as I see it VW are in trouble like they’ve never had before with supply and demand and it doesn’t matter who you deal with, you’ll get little useful news from Hanover. Sad as it is, why not save thousands and order with Drive the Deal (better) or AutoEBid (best)?
Supply and demand is an interesting point. Dealers have a quota, so in theory the demand should be controlled. Dealer runs out of quota and the order isn’t factory accepted till the next quarter; supply is regulated and the dealer has reduced incentive to offer a discount until they have allocation available again. Presumably dealers who work through DtD et al are using their quota through the broker so taking an easy route to gain business from a wider audience; arguably the lazy option, which may translate in to lower profit margins with a knock on to ie. staffing levels, but understandable. If they go over quota for a period the order isn’t factory accepted until the quota opens up again, whether they tell you that up front or not is up for debate.
What is a myth is that DtD et al always offer the best deal. They don’t. Dealers (direct) can and do match or beat DtD prices when it is in their interests to do so, presumably when they have quota left to use; it is fairly obvious that taking a third parties commission/fee out of the equation offers a little extra flex.
Whether buying direct or through DtD offers a better customer experience, I don’t know. But I can say that my current experience going direct to a dealer offered the best price and so far good communications, even if the dealer is limited in the availability of info they have to offer. My previous experience of buying a new Cali direct from a (different, West Country based) dealer was less positive, the price was also competitive but the comms were much less proactive, more pull than push. My only experience of using a broker (AutoEbid) was for a car and offered the best price, but the vehicle was in stock so lead time was less than a week.
Hope that helps add some balance.

I’ve ordered one and also posted on my earlier thread about Trailer Assist. Thanks for the suggestion.
That one may not help with the problems you are having with the Anti-snake Device .

" Use on vehicles with a Control Unit for trailer operation is not possible "

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 23.09.45.jpg

Supply and demand is an interesting point. Dealers have a quota, so in theory the demand should be controlled. Dealer runs out of quota and the order isn’t factory accepted till the next quarter; supply is regulated and the dealer has reduced incentive to offer a discount until they have allocation available again. Presumably dealers who work through DtD et al are using their quota through the broker so taking an easy route to gain business from a wider audience; arguably the lazy option, which may translate in to lower profit margins with a knock on to ie. staffing levels, but understandable. If they go over quota for a period the order isn’t factory accepted until the quota opens up again, whether they tell you that up front or not is up for debate.
What is a myth is that DtD et al always offer the best deal. They don’t. Dealers (direct) can and do match or beat DtD prices when it is in their interests to do so, presumably when they have quota left to use; it is fairly obvious that taking a third parties commission/fee out of the equation offers a little extra flex.
Whether buying direct or through DtD offers a better customer experience, I don’t know. But I can say that my current experience going direct to a dealer offered the best price and so far good communications, even if the dealer is limited in the availability of info they have to offer. My previous experience of buying a new Cali direct from a (different, West Country based) dealer was less positive, the price was also competitive but the comms were much less proactive, more pull than push. My only experience of using a broker (AutoEbid) was for a car and offered the best price, but the vehicle was in stock so lead time was less than a week.
Hope that helps add some balance.
I rang two dealers, one offered no discount and one didn’t come close to DTD. I understand some will match, as you say perhaps at specific points in the quota cycle.
Feels a bit cynical, doesn’t it, that dealers will match DTD? Why then do they charge some more, those that aren’t ‘in the know’?
Why do VW allow discounting? When demand is high, and the factory can’t cope, the price is the price? In fact, at any time, the price is the price? There’s little competition with Californias - when you want one?

I rang two dealers, one offered no discount and one didn’t come close to DTD. I understand some will match, as you say perhaps at specific points in the quota cycle.
Feels a bit cynical, doesn’t it, that dealers will match DTD? Why then do they charge some more, those that aren’t ‘in the know’?
Why do VW allow discounting? When demand is high, and the factory can’t cope, the price is the price? In fact, at any time, the price is the price? There’s little competition with Californias - when you want one?
I view it like supermarket wine - the real price is the offer price. Mrs KB is partial (rather too partial tbh) to a certain NZ Sauvignon Blanc which normally retails at c.£9 a bottle, but is often on offer for around £7 a bottle (just an offer price or through buy 6 get 25% off etc.). To me it’s real value is c.£7 but if Mrs KB has run out and getting twitchy I may just pay the £9 a bottle; either through desperation, convenience or ignorance. Same is true for a Cali.

I view it like supermarket wine - the real price is the offer price. Mrs KB is partial (rather too partial tbh) to a certain NZ Sauvignon Blanc which normally retails at c.£9 a bottle, but is often on offer for around £7 a bottle (just an offer price or through buy 6 get 25% off etc.). To me it’s real value is c.£7 but if Mrs KB has run out and getting twitchy I may just pay the £9 a bottle; either through desperation, convenience or ignorance. Same is true for a Cali.
If I could treat Mrs KB to two years of free Oyster Bay for one phone call and the shunning of a traditional dealer-customer relationship, I think she’d suggest I would be mad not to?

If I could treat Mrs KB to two years of free Oyster Bay for one phone call and the shunning of a traditional dealer-customer relationship, I think she’d suggest I would be mad not to?
Indeed she would, and she would be very happy right up until she found out she could actually have two (and a bit) years of free Oyster Bay and a traditional dealer-customer relationship. But she is hard to please...

Yeah seems Coasts and Beaches are coming through quicker than Oceans. Think perhaps some options are causing delays too (towbar and sports pack mentioned)

Thanks for the comments. The quality of my local dealer is patchy at best, so not really bothered about how I get treated. I can pick up from Eurovans and then get it serviced locally when needed I guess.

Discount offered by local dealer, knowing I had a DtD quote, was only £1,000 against c.£6k from the broker. So no benefit in staying local I guess.

It boils down to whether weekly updates were worth the lack of discount. I highly suspect the delivery dates will be no different between the ordering paths. It’s clear that no one is able to provide accurate dates for delivery until the van is on UK soil.

We have the same build start week as you, but as of yesterday still at status 20. Please ask your van to hold the boat for us
Just remembered this. Have you moved any further on? At Emden yet? Pointless asking my van to hold the boat, it's been sitting at Emden since 22nd March.....

Back