Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New to camper, new to forum, quick question about fridge

R

Richard Braun

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just about to embark on first extended outing with 2015 California bought last month and want to use fridge as temporary freezer for a two day trip where we won't have external power overnight for 2 nights when engine will be off. Guide says 'the additional battery will discharge if refrigerator box is used for a long period if the engine is switched off and the 230v connection is not used' . Any idea how long is 'long? Thanks.

Quite a few things to take into consideration like outside temperature, battery state etc.. also why do you want to use it as a freezer? We have found ours only freezes when on high in the summer when it's 20+ degree's outside.

Freeze the fridge before you go and providing it is not too warm then it should last for two days, dependent on what else you are using of course such as lights etc.

I normally freeze bottles of water in my domestic freezer then put these in the fridge as well. They keep the temperature down and the workload low. Basically freeze lots of water first (or anything else). Put these in the fridge when you set it to "MAX", leave fridge on MAX for at least two days before you go, then when ready t put whatever you need to lie kept frozen in the fridge and pack it with more frozen stuff. I've lasted a few days like that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it will go cold enough to use as a freezer. Yes, stuff against the side will freeze if on high setting but the whole box below zero. I doubt it.

You will probably just about get 2 nights. Will you use the Cali during the day! If so then the engine will re-charge the leisure battery to 80% +.

It'll go down to about -25.

Thanks. Reason is we want to transfer food from freezer in UK to freezer in Ireland and keep it frozen on the way. Three day trip with two nights where unlikely to have power but will be driving each day which should give some recharge. How far in advance does box need to get cold.

On a different point, but as wine cooling was mentioned in one of the posts, if you ever want a wine cooler for a lot of wine at a party get an old bath, surround it with haybales, fill it with water and get guests to bring bags of ice on their way to the party. Cover it if possible. We put last ice in on a Friday evening and had cold wine until late the following Monday.

Thanks. Reason is we want to transfer food from freezer in UK to freezer in Ireland and keep it frozen on the way. Three day trip with two nights where unlikely to have power but will be driving each day which should give some recharge. How far in advance does box need to get cold.

On a different point, but as wine cooling was mentioned in one of the posts, if you ever want a wine cooler for a lot of wine at a party get an old bath, surround it with haybales, fill it with water and get guests to bring bags of ice on their way to the party. Cover it if possible. We put last ice in on a Friday evening and had cold wine until late the following Monday.
You certainly know how to party :cool:.

Does the bath and hay bale combo fit ok on the roof bars?
How do you stop the contents of the bath running out when you put the roof up?

OK,

my epic trip carrying frozen food:

Family get together in South of France. As we were leaving later, and taking a few days to get there it was "Can you bring bacon and sausages please".

So I did what I suggested. Fridge frozen solid before even packing it: when ready out came the "once frozen" stuff used to chill it all down, in went the frozen bacon and sausages, every spare bit of space filled with ice, (Small polly bags of water pre-frozen).

We left on Saturday morning. We arrived in Pezenas Tuesday afternoon having travelled through 36C heatwave from Burgundy, through Rhone to Languedoc. Food still frozen.

We have a coleman coolbox that keeps ice frozen (out of the sun but still in summer) for 3 days, I don't think the cali fridge is goign to struggle in this scenario

I'm not sure it will go cold enough to use as a freezer. Yes, stuff against the side will freeze if on high setting but the whole box below zero. I doubt it..
Sorry but mine goes down to freezer temps, we have taken frozen sausages and bacon back to SW France and still frozen solid after two nightly stopovers. On the return we have brought back duck breast again frozen, and suffered no illness!!!!!!

No need for apologies John - we're all here to share experiences :thumb.

It certainly seems to be common experience that the fridge will keep food frozen for extended periods if it is frozen when put in and presumably not opened and closed lots.

No need for apologies John - we're all here to share experiences :thumb.

It certainly seems to be common experience that the fridge will keep food frozen for extended periods if it is frozen when put in and presumably not opened and closed lots.
No my fridge goes down to -18'c at least, i have checked it with external digital thermometer.

No my fridge goes down to -18'c at least, i have checked it with external digital thermometer.
To be fair it is called a fridge / freezer in the manual.

External thermometer is a good idea. I have one of the little 'hanger' analogue ones from the club shop. Its OK but I tend to hang it at the top of the basket where it is easy to read but where the temperature probably rises 5 degrees the instant the lid is opened.

My fridge will freeze. Sometimes I curse it. I leave home with frozen stuff in to last me a few days, nip out, buy some milk, put in fridge and when I come to use it ....Mo cup of tea or Breakfast because it's frozen!:(

OK. Just back and following up on the experience. Made the trip with fully packed freezer. All survived frozen at the other end after three days though items at very top were getting a little soft (raspberries so ate them). Did manage to hook up to external supply on one of the two nights away though one night just left it on auxiliary battery. Thanks for suggestions.