Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand Cali GC Off Grid and Battery Upgrade

I know there’s plenty of theads about off grid, but these aren’t always applicable to grand cali. Been doing some research here on caliboard.de through google chrome translation.
I’m no sparky and never studied physics at school, nor in my 2 degreees, so bear with me....

So the the GC is much more energy hungry that smaller Calis. The 92Ah AGM will unlikely last more than a night or two without a solar charge. I’m struggling to see where people are putting a second battery.I gather The leisure battery is in the bonnet - not ideal for a lithium upgrade (living in N Scotland) the starter battery is in passenger footwell.

upgrading the leisure battery with a 300 Ah LiFePO4 (eg www.roamerbatteries.com) or liontron’s ‘Arctic’ 200 Ah sounds nice, but would I have to upgrade the starter battery to match it? (Not a huge issue if the van can access both batteries for ‘leisure’?)

i read about a guy who had a professional installation in Germany where he had his leisure battery ‘uncoupled’ from the starter battery and moved to the back cupboard. He added a new solar controller, so his factory panels charged the new battery (and added his own panels to boost it). He also put in an 1800W inverter too. Obviously he forgoes the electricwarranty, but gains so much off grid capability.

roamer battery (30kg) is about £1000 for a 300Ah battery, other brands are about £2200.

my other option is ecoflow delta is £1400 for 1260Wh at 50.4V = a paltry 25.6Ah?
Roamer is equiv to 300Ah x 12.8v = 3840Wh
(Happy to be corrected if google has failed me)

this sounds like a winner to me. I realise I’d have to manually charge the new leisure battery (which wont be so fragile as an AGM). But I guess this won’t be detrimental to the engine battery? Would 2x 100 (or 200) be a better idea?

I’d welcome any input/suggestions or ideas how this could improved.
Google hasn't failed you, your physics has though.
You'll be pulling from either of these batteries at 12v or 230/240v therefore you don't need to know or worry that at 50v it has 25amps, because the same maths applies that at 12v it has over 100amps. You need to compare apples with apples if you're trying to compare devices. (Also bearing in mind that it's just a battery and an inverter at the end of the day so it's actual voltage is circa 12v)

AFAIK no one has really tested the GC systems thoroughly yet with different battery chemistries (Leisure and Starter). It would worry me though.

Small point. The starter battery is under the drivers footwell.

In physics you don't get ewt for nowt (Lancs)
You will probably have to upgrade the alternator to charge a lithium ion + the additional fuel required.
Horizontal solar panels won't give you much in Scotland.
I know someone monitored the output from 2 roof panels on a normal Scottish day,don't be surprised to get a measly 20w.
Vw need to get their act together and fit 2 leisure batteries onboard.
They have dropped the ball on this one, the GC needs more off grid capacity.
Hymer supply vans that can do 5 days without hook up(L,Ion batts)
Why would you need to upgrade the alternator to charge a lithium battery iyo out of interest?

Why the concentration on electricity? Pound for pound, gas is the most efficient energy source. New technologies are developing, but there is nothing wrong with tried and tested and it's generally less expensive. I can't quite remember the numbers now, but I had 24kg refillable gas (2 cylinders) 160W solar, 2x95Ah leisure batteries (Banner) and a 2000W inverter. My trips away extended occasionally to 120 days and in 15 years, I never went near a campsite summer or winter unless it had some particular attraction.
I agree with @Wondering Star, Roadpro are very good re off grid camping, but if you want all the latest technology, it's going to cost you. You need to think very carefully about what you really need.
Because electricity is free and clean when harvested from the sun via PV panels into LiPo4 batteries or power bank.

I use a 2 kWh Bluetti AC 200 Max and happily run hair dryer, toaster, kettle, microwave and even an air fryer from solar PV alone in the summer. Admittedly, in response the the OP's question, I don't have a GC or onboard boiler, so can't comment re hot water though if you can use setting one at around 900 watts, there is no reason it wouldn't work also.

From what I can gather the VW Grand is not easily adaptable to off grid touring.
Not enough battery storage and limited solar roof space.
If you plan to off grid, diesel powered 6DE truma is superior.
Sorry to say far better vans from other manufacturers are available.

Back