Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New 'Toxin Tax.'

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi all,

I understand that in the near future, a number of cities in the UK will be introducing a new tax (or even a ban) on diesel vehicles entering city centres. The information I have is that all engines manufactured prior to EU 6 specifications will be subject of this new tax/ban. I am hoping to buy my first Cali within the next few weeks and Choice here in Spain is very limited on the second hand market and I will be visiting the UK on a regular basis, so the new rules will play a part in my decision. I was going to consider a really well specc'd 2015 model T5 180 DSG Comfortline, but I am now dithering as to whether to pay the extra 10k for a T6 150 Coast model. Clearly, the extra money is an issue (particularly as the exchange rate is so poor) but I want to be sure that I am making the right decision. Does anyone have any opinions on how they think the new rules will affect them in the short to medium term as owners of T5 models? Thanks for any input you might have on this issue.

Hi all,

I understand that in the near future, a number of cities in the UK will be introducing a new tax (or even a ban) on diesel vehicles entering city centres. The information I have is that all engines manufactured prior to EU 6 specifications will be subject of this new tax/ban. I am hoping to buy my first Cali within the next few weeks and Choice here in Spain is very limited on the second hand market and I will be visiting the UK on a regular basis, so the new rules will play a part in my decision. I was going to consider a really well specc'd 2015 model T5 180 DSG Comfortline, but I am now dithering as to whether to pay the extra 10k for a T6 150 Coast model. Clearly, the extra money is an issue (particularly as the exchange rate is so poor) but I want to be sure that I am making the right decision. Does anyone have any opinions on how they think the new rules will affect them in the short to medium term as owners of T5 models? Thanks for any input you might have on this issue.
Hi

At the moment it is all talk, with the exception of London, where there already a congestion charge, which may soon have an additional charge for dirty diesels - that starts October 2017, but initially only pre Euro 4 (pre 2005) appear to be penalised.
One to watch certainly.
No other cities have anything close to being in place.

One of the main reasons i was close to trade in my 2012 SE for a nice new T6 Coast PETROL version (availeble here in Belgium)
But for the moment it has been put on hold....i think the next 5y i still can reach many beautiful places with my euro 5 diesel.
Things could be diffrent by then i might chose something else than a Cali ....who knows.

Eighter way a im not planning to drive IN the city border of any big towns like Paris ,Londen,Lyon,Barcalona,Antwerp(also restricted!),Amsterdam....
There are plenty campsites in the nearby of big citys , using public transport one can get in the best way anyhow.

All comes down to what you need it for and whether the added peace of mind is worth the price premium of going for a T6. (A bit like the 4WD debate).

We drive into the London LEZ every weekday so a no brainer for us for longevity to go for Euro6. the fact that it's a daily driver made things like ACC and App Connect really high priority too so a T6 it was. Without the need for these things we'd have probably gone for a second hand T5. If you are likely to be in and out of cities (especially capitals) lots then it's probably worth the investment

Hi

At the moment it is all talk, with the exception of London, where there already a congestion charge, which may soon have an additional charge for dirty diesels - that starts October 2017, but initially only pre Euro 4 (pre 2005) appear to be penalised.
One to watch certainly.
No other cities have anything close to being in place.

There is some confusion offer references to Euro 4 and Euro 6.

Consultations are underway to require Euro6 standards for diesels in London from 2019. Euro4 remains OK for petrol.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/en...ultation-phase-2/?cid=airquality-consultation

If I need to go to London, I use the train - 1 hr 20 mins from Stafford to Euston, or 2-hours if I take the slow (cheaper) one.
I'm also fortunate to be only an hour for London by train so can't see a scenario where I would take the Cali into the centre. But I think this thinking indicates that the Euro6 may well become a benchmark for emissions.

The central London ULEZ is happening from 2020; Euro6 is the required standard for diesels. The consultation is about bringing it forward to 2019.

I'd definitely be looking at a T6 if I was buying now. This sort of thing will only become more common.

This is an aside but do also look at the cost implications very carefully when thinking of maybe a last of line high spec 2015 T5 at maybe £45k versus going all out brand new factory fresh T6? You could be liable for the first service then after a year the MOT and then of course the warranty runs out in 2018. Two years on and it's cambelt time etc.

A pretty well specced auto 150 T6 brand new is around £55k to which you can cut a % for the usual dealer discounts - this then is truly brand new with all the benefits that brings + of course three years warranty and breakdown cover, no MOT worries etc, etc.

The biggest cost of course is depreciation which is somewhat tricky to calculate on Calis into the future as the prices have risen so much.

I've done these calcs very carefully before on certain high performance BMW's and buying new rather than three years old approved all things considered actually worked out cheaper, in part due to very large model discounts notwithstanding the fact you were in a brand new vehicle not one someone else had blatted about in for 25,000 miles!

Last edited:
Back