Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van

IanFK

IanFK

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I am thinking of buying a new California SE manual 140. Our previous campervan was a Romahome Dimension. We generally stay in Spain for a month in September and was wondering if any other seniors had done something similar and are there any issues with a relatively small van and no bathroom that we should be aware of.
Any comments would very much appreciated.

My first thought on seeing this post was that the Dimension was a dinky little van but Mr Google tells me it's based on the Seville - Ducato type vans, so you are going to be downsizing.

Many people on here have downsized and I would be surprised if you get anything but positive comments, especially seeing as it's a California forum and only enthusiasts are likely to subscribe.

The California is a very well designed small van and despite it's size feels airy and has comfortable seats and beds. It is a mile eater and can cover large distances without discomfort.

However, if you like to have a partitioned of loo and shower facilities then obviously it does not provide this. It depends on your priorities. I think you want one!

Anyway, do you really want to drive a toilet around Europe? Or an iconic VW Campervan :D

PS: If some of the posts on here are correct regarding residuals it looks like you could get your Cali now, have your holiday and get most of your money back afterwards if you decide you've made a mistake.

My first thought on seeing this post was that the Dimension was a dinky little van but Mr Google tells me it's based on the Seville - Ducato type vans, so you are going to be downsizing.

Many people on here have downsized and I would be surprised if you get anything but positive comments, especially seeing as it's a California forum and only enthusiasts are likely to subscribe.

The California is a very well designed small van and despite it's size feels airy and has comfortable seats and beds. It is a mile eater and can cover large distances without discomfort.

However, if you like to have a partitioned of loo and shower facilities then obviously it does not provide this. It depends on your priorities. I think you want one!

Anyway, do you really want to drive a toilet around Europe? Or an iconic VW Campervan :D

PS: If some of the posts on here are correct regarding residuals it looks like you could get your Cali now, have your holiday and get most of your money back afterwards if you decide you've made a mistake.

Thanks for that. You are right in your comment regarding the toilet, still not sure if we need one. I would also like to park the van on our drive as the Romahome was stolen from a parking bay opposite our house last year. The Romahome base vehicle is a Citroen Relay with a Hi-top and was not the easiest to drive in and around London. There is a California Hire Centre Campervantastic in South London, so that might be another option before buying.

Thanks for that. You are right in your comment regarding the toilet, still not sure if we need one. I would also like to park the van on our drive as the Romahome was stolen from a parking bay opposite our house last year. The Romahome base vehicle is a Citroen Relay with a Hi-top and was not the easiest to drive in and around London. There is a California Hire Centre *************** in South London, so that might be another option before buying.

Can understand the "smaller van" option, definite benefits but also a few downsides.

The idea of hiring from the "California Hire Centre *************** in South London" is a good one, take one away for a week, double check that you can get on with some of the restrictions and then make the purchasing decisions. Definitely recommended.

We've advised a few friends to do exactly that with them, 4 out of 5 decided on to purchase afterwards... One went on to buy an A-class. :).

Rgds

Mark

Most of the toilet facilities at places we have camped have been excellent.
One awful place near Paris, but otherwise I'm sure you'll be fine.

I am test driving a new DSG tomorrow - hoping everything will be fine.

The test drive went well and I picking up my new California DSG in September. It is a 2015 model in Olympian Blue. The VW dealer offered me Gap Insurance, a service plan and Lifeshine by AutoGlym. I am interested in the Lifeshine, but not sure about the Gap Insurance and service plan.

The test drive went well and I picking up my new California DSG in September. It is a 2015 model in Olympian Blue. The VW dealer offered me Gap Insurance, a service plan and Lifeshine by AutoGlym. I am interested in the Lifeshine, but not sure about the Gap Insurance and service plan.
Congratulations on making a great choice of vehicle, fraid i can't comment re Lifeshine.:thumb

Some of the insurance policies (e.g. NFU and Comfort) offer 2 year GAP as standard.

I took out the dealer offered GAP insurance to get me home but cancelled it with a full refund a few days later (under the 14 day cooling off period) when I had sorted out my insurance policy.

Can't comment on the service plan; that one is probably a simple mathematical calculation, taking into account that the standard service schedule for the Cali is hardly ever! So unless you are planning on doing 10,000s of miles then probably worth treading carefully. I'm sure others will have a better technical view.

Congratulations on your decision!

I would be more interested in the gap insurance and service plan than the lifeshine I had it on another car and I didn't think it was worth the ÂŁ300 I paid

If you insure your new vehicle with The Caravan Club then you get 2 years GAP insurance included. Check out their site.
I have the AutoGlym treatment and very happy with it.
Service Plan can be restrictive. If you do low mileage then you might miss out as they will restrict you to the milages stated in the plan.:thumb

Hi Ian, my wife and I spent the whole of April and May in France and Spain this year in our California. All the toilet facilities were adequate, some were ok, some were good, some were very good and some were excellent.
We are both retired and we also live in South London. S E London to be almost precise.
Welcome to the community.
Eric

Excellent! Congratulations :thumb

BTW I think the paint protection is overpriced and just a way of getting a bit more out of the sale.

A while back one of the neighbouring businesses was having the crane gantry spray painted and some of it went on the cars in our car park, including mine. The company were very good about it and paid to have the overspray removed professionally.

Part of this included re-instating the paint protection (can't remember the brand off hand). Anyway, I obtained the paint protection pack from the dealer I bought the car from and was staggered when I saw what was in the pack - a sachet of liquid, a sponge and a few other bits that looked like a value of about ÂŁ10 from Halfrauds. It was so simple to apply that I did the job myself in about an hour. For this I think had been charged about ÂŁ300 when I bought the car. :rage

Although the application may be simple in the first instance:
1. You get a top up pack of AutoGlym products and refills that is worth about ÂŁ80+
2. A 3 yr Guarantee for the external paint finish and, I believe more importantly in a Camper, the Interior especially. I don't have a dog or children, just the 2 of us, and have no intention of buying waterproof seat covers or any other form of covers etc: for the 3 years. Eventually I might have the seats recovered when necessary. But for a 3 year warranty I think the balance of ÂŁ200 is worth it. Having had it on previous vehicles and having used the Warranty I was very happy with the service even having a full, top end valet carried out under the warranty.
Your choice.

We took the autoglym option on our then new van in 2010 - can't say I'm terribly impressed. We've had it professionally valeted since and the guy who did it (who I am impressed with - in fact he does it for us annually now) didn't rate the autoglym process. Having said that, we had it done for the upholstery more than the outside and it may have helped there - hard to tell really.

All in all I wouldn't bother - probably spend the cash on a professional valeter once the van's mine.

I have driven a toilet around Europe and found it indispensable.

They really do not take up too much space and avoids that walk out into the cold during the night.

I have driven a toilet around Europe and found it indispensable.
.......I'm a bit confused there Jen ! :(

Second post, kast but one paragraph

I carry a porta potti with me :D

Collected my blue 180 DSG from Birmingham VW van centre on Tuesday and negotiated the M6, M1 and North Circular successfully. I found removing the single seat a bit tricky, but soon realised it needed to go back first, so the rails could be removed. Reading the handbook regarding electrical feed it says switch on the residual current breaker, a friend suggested there is no need to do this. I think I will follow the handbook advice.
Next week we are off to Spain for a month crossing to St.Malo first and using Bip&Go for French motorways.

Excellent... congrats.

switch on the residual current breaker, a friend suggested there is no need to do this. I think I will follow the handbook advice.

If you don't switch this on, then it won't charge on hook up and the mains socket in the end of the kitchen unit won't work.

We leave ours on permanently as they have no effect when not on hook up.

You friend is a little mistaken :)

Thanks for that. You are right in your comment regarding the toilet, still not sure if we need one. I would also like to park the van on our drive as the Romahome was stolen from a parking bay opposite our house last year. The Romahome base vehicle is a Citroen Relay with a Hi-top and was not the easiest to drive in and around London. There is a California Hire Centre *************** in South London, so that might be another option before buying.

Hi Ianfk, we have a vw t5 we hire out and it as a hot water system fitted with a shower, microwave, heater, tv, heaters seats, aircon, and lots more, you can contact me on 07850263155

Regards George
E.m georgerip@+++++++.com

Hi IanFK, I should have read all the rest of the comments, I see you have got one know, and hope you are having lots of fun

Rippin

Back