Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie questions - I have a few

G

GJO

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hoping to take the advice from the more experienced amongst us.

I'm interested in buying a T6 Cali Ocean. I actually hired one last year and took my two older kids around Scotland for a few days and really liked it....providing you can find a decent campsite with facilities. I'm still to convince my Wife on the idea so I've hired again for August and this time just taking her and the dog. Hoping you lot can advise on the following as I've found a really nice 2016 in blackberry, 210, 4motion with DSG. Since I'd be replacing my car with one, I really want the highest spec I can for the money (low £50s). My thoughts is I don't plan to spend a week camping in one....but mix it up with B&B/hotel stays....but mainly for weekend use and overnight stays.

1. The first hurdle will be lack of toilet for those times during the night. Suggestions for something portable? Where do you put it?
  2. Drive away awnings. Airvango seems the way but do you have a suggestion? Obviously the van is not the biggest in the world so buy having a drive away awing I'm hoping it will give us the extra space when needed.
  3. Anything to look out for on a used Cali ocean? I'll be buying from a dealer so will have warranty
  4. How have you found trips perhaps abroad where it's warmer? I'd imagine it would be really hot and you'd be relying on the vans air con....do they have air con in the back?
That's pretty much all for now but would like to hear other suggestions of what to think about before buying one.

Many thanks
Gareth

204 not 210

1. The first hurdle will be lack of toilet for those times during the night. Suggestions for something portable? Where do you put it?
I use the facilities in the campsite.

Got a "Bivvy Loo" for nights, much the same size as a round dinner plate tray, don't bother with our chemical toilet now. You might want to YouTube it

I did something similar to you, hiring a couple of times to get my wife on board with the idea. We ended up with a large Khyam driveaway awning which is a bit of a faff putting up and taking down, but gives us space to spread out. It also gives us somewhere to put a Thetford Porta Potti which my wife uses at night, although I use the campsite facilities.

How have you found trips perhaps abroad where it's warmer? I'd imagine it would be really hot and you'd be relying on the vans air con....do they have air con in the back?

When you are moving you should be fine. They all have air-con, but some have dual zone fancy air con, which is better, but no essential.

When stopped, there is obviously no air con, then you need to move slowly, leave all the vents open. If there are biting insects you might like to have a rear or sliding door moquito net, so you can keep an air flow, but not get bitten. Oh, lots of folk seem to get a small usb fan - seems like a good idea.

Welcome allong , to all your questions you will be able to find instant answers if you do some reading in existing threads .
Becoming VIP gives you acces to the downloads and a handover checklist , and various discounts at our sponsors/traders and the forumshop.

Reactions: GJO
Hoping to take the advice from the more experienced amongst us.

I'm interested in buying a T6 Cali Ocean. I actually hired one last year and took my two older kids around Scotland for a few days and really liked it....providing you can find a decent campsite with facilities. I'm still to convince my Wife on the idea so I've hired again for August and this time just taking her and the dog. Hoping you lot can advise on the following as I've found a really nice 2016 in blackberry, 210, 4motion with DSG. Since I'd be replacing my car with one, I really want the highest spec I can for the money (low £50s). My thoughts is I don't plan to spend a week camping in one....but mix it up with B&B/hotel stays....but mainly for weekend use and overnight stays.

2. Drive away awnings. Airvango seems the way but do you have a suggestion? Obviously the van is not the biggest in the world so buy having a drive away awing I'm hoping it will give us the extra space when needed.
  3. Anything to look out for on a used Cali ocean? I'll be buying from a dealer so will have warranty
  4. How have you found trips perhaps abroad where it's warmer? I'd imagine it would be really hot and you'd be relying on the vans air con....do they have air con in the back?
That's pretty much all for now but would like to hear other suggestions of what to think about before buying one.

Many thanks
Gareth

204 not 210
Think of the California as a tent on wheels.
Less is More.
Toilet, campsite by day and Pop up Toilet tent and Bog in a Bag for nighttime use.
Standard AirCon, front only. 3 Zone Climatronic front and rear.
Spent 3 weeks in Italy last year, 35-45 c, only slept in Van . Tailgate can be locked partly open, front window air vents , side windows with fly screens and 50w Mains fan to run on Mains or Inverter. No problem, slept like a log as busy during day.
Don’t use a Drive away Awning just the standard wind out and a small pop up tent for storing stuff so Van is empty. If it’s warm and wet sit out in Awning and if it’s cold and wet in the Van. There are only 2 of us.
Oh, and the van is my daily drive all year round. We use campsites, big and small, as well as hotels big and small.