Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie south coast sandy beach site recommendations?

RallyRoss

RallyRoss

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all

We’ve had the van a year and are already stuck in a habit of heading up to southwold from home in Herts to do a beach visit. My daughter (4) really wants to do a couple of beach weekends this year.

I wondered if anyone might point me at a few recommendations for nice sites perhaps on south coast?

Thanks
Ross

Plenty to go for down in here in Dorset, and you have wonderful sandy beaches and the Jurassic Coast to explore - ideal for fossil hunting. Although you may struggle to find camping right next to the beach, there are loads to choose from. Tom’s Field in Langton Matravers is highly recommended for the vibe and family friendliness. Its half an hour walk from the site to Dancing Ledges and about a 20 minute drive to Studland, where you will find a world class stretch of sand.

We live in St Albans. Our default beach trip for the day is West Wittering. Choose your day carefully as it can get incredibly busy.

I live down the road from West Wittering and it's better that it used to be now that you book parking, and there's always loads of VW vans there, but you can't beat the Dorset beaches, some of which are reasonably quiet!

Another shout for Dorset. We stay at Corfe Castle Dorset camping , lovely site, scenic walk into Corfe for the Castle, pubs and coffee shops short drive to Studland Beach.

East or West Wittering. East is quieter than West, and has a nice village for shops.

(Used to surf at West Wittering now & again but now avoid it like the plague, carnage in the summer!)

Plenty to go for down in here in Dorset, and you have wonderful sandy beaches and the Jurassic Coast to explore - ideal for fossil hunting. Although you may struggle to find camping right next to the beach, there are loads to choose from. Tom’s Field in Langton Matravers is highly recommended for the vibe and family friendliness. Its half an hour walk from the site to Dancing Ledges and about a 20 minute drive to Studland, where you will find a world class stretch of sand.
Studland is national trust so free parking there for members and blue badge holders

Our profile pic is at Tom's Field near Worth Matravers. Swanage is also close by, and has a sandy beach.
You can park right on the beach at Boscombe, just east of Bournemouth. It's a fairly stiff car park fee, I think £8 - £10 for the day. And v busy, so get down early on a sunny day.
If you don't mind going further, Nicholaston Farm near Swansea has a choice of beaches and is a very smart site.