Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West Coast Scotland tour 2019

Next up we went to Oban a nice 2:50min drive from Glasgow.
I’ve used all my data uploading pictures so I can only post on WiFi.
We stopped at Oban campsite just outside the town - saw the distillery and had mussels in garlic from the key side.

A5BC0CEC-F56A-4129-B40A-162FC75004FD.jpeg

8733EAF3-3F61-4A91-9466-F6616BB5C2EA.jpeg

DED1370E-2B7F-4736-BDE0-C45795EEF8BA.jpeg

26/6 and we are now on Mull - our best day so far. The weather is amazing really dry and sunny. We left Oban campsite early at caught the 9:45am ferry arriving at Craignure at 10:50am.
Following some advice from the lovely campsite owners we went to Ulva via a foot ferry and had a lovely lunch at the Boathouse (highly recommended for sea food lovers). Then we drive to Tobermory and had whisky at the Mishnesh Hotel - which has an open fire all year round. We decided to have fish and chips supper on the harbour wall and then at 7:45pm decided to do the 12 mile trip to Calgary which took us over an hour on the single track roads.
Calgary beach is the prettiest beach we have ever seen worth the long trek - then home for 11pm and still light .

C6B76331-A379-43FF-96F7-A0DBD80F6BE5.jpeg

A1FC805B-F391-4849-A6F3-DDF1A2EA7039.jpeg

2409DD56-C559-48DB-B516-4D0CC23FC83E.jpeg

BB685853-6DE3-4C01-ADEE-170574F1A731.jpeg

60CB0EBC-FC25-4342-B374-C9F610633788.jpeg

806328E6-FCE5-4AD9-97C0-5E141A1CB88F.jpeg

F9396611-4241-40C8-BE27-3A0ADE80B7AA.jpeg

great pix so glad your having nice weather .... now
my husband was impressed that your goldie was along for the trip too ... we have a black lab and he'll be on our trips too ... have fun

Many thanks for your trip report.
Where did you camp on Mull ?

So yesterday we experienced proper rain for the first time in Scotland- I’d swear the raindrops were bigger!
This morning we had scrambled egg with some grated cheese on toast all in the ridge monkey.
Now 3 hour drive to Oban - spotted this next to us - very hardcore.

View attachment 46723
Spotted him today on the Isle of Skye, unless of course there's another foreign red mini with roof tent.

Many thanks for your trip report.
Where did you camp on Mull ?
Hi we are at shieling campsite at Craignure- Facilities’s are excellent ( Washing machine, dryer tents, clean showers and centrally places for Mull.
We have a pitch on the sites beach it’s amazing :thumb

Spotted him today on the Isle of Skye, unless of course there's another foreign red mini with roof tent.
Any tips for Skye ? We will be there in 3 days time?

So bacon and mushrooms on toast for breakfast then did some washing as I’m running out of pants ! A very leisurely start to the day then off to Iona.
With the single track roads 35 miles took about 1:30mins.
Iona and the Abbey were lovely well worth a visit. We had dinner at the Craignure arms just opposite the campsite- then G&T and up for 12pm ferry back to Oban and a 2hr drive to Glencoe tomorrow (will post WiFi permitting).093AA159-4D0F-4F0E-9164-F4BA7D66DACB.jpeg

Any tips for Skye ? We will be there in 3 days time?
It's a big island, depending on time...
Try and do the Quiraing road, heading North from Portree, past Storr, turn left at Brogaig for Uig.
Fairy pools down Glen Brittle road.
Talisker distillery.
Boat trip from Elgol to loch Coruisk in the South.
Shops / fuel at Broadford and Portree...

Last edited:
If your keen you could head back to the mainland using the Kylerhea ferry to Glenelg, taking the Ratagan pass to Shiel Bridge, great views... The ferry (about £15) is a small turntable one which will be memorable!

Last edited:
If you’re at Shiel Bridge you can top up on gas here

img_0324.jpg

If your looking for a place to eat in Glencoe try 'The Clachaig, just south of Glencoe village and next to Red Squirrel camp site... very dog friendly

If your looking for a place to eat in Glencoe try 'The Clachaig, just south of Glencoe village and next to Red Squirrel camp site... very dog friendly
A mountaineers' pub. Very busy, very noisy and full of testosterone fuelled banter. One of life's experiences but, like being locked in a police cell overnight after an exuberant night out, once was enough for me, the second time was a mistake and a third time just won't happen.

The beauty of Skye is stunning. We only spent the day there and have talked about returning for a longer stay. We were advised to do the tour around but cut across the mountains at the top of the island to Uig. It was here I passed the Mini.

The picture on the Club Header is of SusiBus parked on the harbour front at Elgol while watching the sunset over the Cuillin Hills on the Isle of Skye. A really magical place, a must visit!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
This afternoon at Bunre campsite Fort William
Had a lovely walk along the Loch and I went for a swim - it was freezing and I mean freezing (I’ve swam off the east coast in December and it was warm in comparison).
We had a lovely ham and cheddar lunch followed by a long Loch side walk.
Now relaxing with a beer looking out onto the Loch before walking to the pub opposite the site which has its own waterfall.
Tomorrow to Jacobite steam train then Sunny side Croft campsite :thumb

538CD59C-0384-42B2-A896-D2C8C5943FEB.jpeg

99CAEE64-FDC3-4C4E-A6C5-86A3A134EB9E.jpeg

ABFC9BDA-0617-4B66-9971-2C0197859308.jpeg

Looked good today! Great place to eat in Malliag is the The Tea Garden Restaurant.

IMG_20190628_141223.jpg

Last edited:
First mistake only booked Bunree for one night not two. I top of that used all my data posting pictures :headbang
So £3 WiFi later now booked into Sunyside touring site 28miles outside Mallaig so disaster averted and Mrs Gvick non the wiser unless she reads this post :headbang
Now at the Four seasons pub opposite the campsite drinking Oban whiskey and I thought I would share my celebrates and considers
So celebrate
For us booking ahead as our first time in Scotland was the right thing.
Cali has been brilliant Acc has been a godsend.
We have hopped around a fair bit and the ease of set up has been a surprise.
We’ve used our portable gas stove as the weather has been so good a lot.
The onboard sink has been great for drinks and washing up.
With the dog the waterproof Inka seat covers were super easy to fit and have kept everything cleanish.
25m club electric hook up was right choose to go long.
Dog has been brilliant he’s added to our enjoyment and lovely walks - he’s been super tired - my daughter says we’ve broken him as he’s so tired on the nighttime .
I never realised there were so many so nuke malts.
Considers or learns.
Put lights to off , otherwise when you come back late you illuminate the campsite.
Windscreen blinds are a pain.
Close drivers door before you open the awning up.
Bring a pitch reserved sign for motor home caravan club sites
Remember to pack your water hose ...dooh
Oh and don’t use a months worth of data in 3 days uploading pictures to your thread.

E897EF2E-1CB5-4F72-946E-30AFB108E817.jpeg

9B1BEBB1-2647-40D8-AECB-E239E378DCCF.jpeg

With so many adventures and great pictures, you’re going to have to upgrade your data package.

BTW your van is gorgeous

Been reading your adventures , seems great specially with that good weather !
How are midges this time a year overthere ?

So far midge wise it has been ok even late at night - that said we have stayed mainly on the coast. The weather set to turn today so we shall see how we cope in the rain.
Unfortunately our daughter has to leave today as she’s spending her summer helping poorly children in Kenya ( we were sad to see her go but ........more room in the van for us).
Something made me chuckle a massive campsite and our competitor chose to park next to us - a brand new Marco Polo - vey swish.
So today off to the Jacobite train thanks @pym-84 for the pic - then to Sunny side for 6ish :cool:

DD2256D9-868C-4345-9044-6C06B19A0233.jpeg

Something made me chuckle a massive campsite and our competitor chose to park next to us - a brand new Marco Polo - vey swish.
Her mind is Tiffany-Twisted...Lol

So far midge wise it has been ok even late at night - that said we have stayed mainly on the coast. The weather set to turn today so we shall see how we cope in the rain.
Unfortunately our daughter has to leave today as she’s spending her summer helping poorly children in Kenya ( we were sad to see her go but ........more room in the van for us).
So today off to the Jacobite train thanks @pym-84 for the pic - then to Sunny side for 6ish :cool:

View attachment 46901
How come your lights are on and the awning out and top raised? Is it the dreaded coming home lights, the campers friend? Superb chronicle of your travels, thanks.

tom

Back