Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie with dog wanting tips before buying

Y

yorkshirepudd

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi

Me and my dog are currently looking at buying a new or nearly new Cali Ocean!

Considering 4motion DSG 199ps, and have decided on a few must have options, LED lights, cruise control, tow bar, reversing camera (hoping it helps with hitching up!), high beam assistant for relaxed country lane driving. Not sure what glass to choose.

Wondering if there are any options that have problems and should be avoided, or things that are must haves that would make the ownership better.

I’m looking at towing a caravan with it at times too for longer adventures, hence wanting the bigger engine.

Appreciate any help and hopefully getting on the road with one very soon! Will be test driving soon I hope too!

Cheers in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GrannyJen tows an Eriba with her Cali she may be a good person to advise :)

Everyone raves about the LED lights but they are an expensive option, not as expensive as if you regret not getting them however.

@GrannyJen tows an Eriba with her Cali she may be a good person to advise :)

Everyone raves about the LED lights but they are an expensive option, not as expensive as if you regret not getting them however.
Ah right, thank you that would be great! I have heard that the halogens are poor, think they always are once you've had Xenon or LED?! Although can't you get LED bulbs these days too? I should look...!

Ah right, thank you that would be great! I have heard that the halogens are poor, think they always are once you've had Xenon or LED?! Although can't you get LED bulbs these days too? I should look...!
As far as I am aware there are no Road Legal LED headlight bulbs that can be retrofitted.
Personally I have no problems with the Halogen headlights.

I was in same position with dog
I wouldn't bother with the partial leather seats, they are too light, I've covered mine with waterproof covers

As far as I am aware there are no Road Legal LED headlight bulbs that can be retrofitted.
Personally I have no problems with the Halogen headlights.

Ok cool thanks. I’m hiring a camper this weekend now so should get an idea depending on what’s on it

Just read earlier that you need to be below 2000 lumens for LED bulbs otherwise you need headlamp levelling and washer jets.

Ok cool thanks. I’m hiring a camper this weekend now so should get an idea depending on what’s on it

Just read earlier that you need to be below 2000 lumens for LED bulbs otherwise you need headlamp levelling and washer jets.

The reason there are no Road Legal aftermarket LED replacement bulbs is due to the reflector design being designed for Halogen Bulbs. Nothing to do with Self Levelling or Headlamp Washers.

Welcome on board , the caravan would be nice to cook in as many (not me ) dislike cooking in the Cali avoiding smells ...:D

The reason there are no Road Legal aftermarket LED replacement bulbs is due to the reflector design being designed for Halogen Bulbs. Nothing to do with Self Levelling or Headlamp Washers.

Ok thanks

Welcome on board , the caravan would be nice to cook in as many (not me ) dislike cooking in the Cali avoiding smells ...:D

Thank you. I’m used to smells in the caravan so think it wouldn’t bother me plus I love the smell of food so probably all good lol however see when I try one out! I have a cadac safari which Im thinking I could use outdoors too when the weathers nice, also heard about ridgemonkey pans that are supposed to help with smells which I would look into further if I do actually take up this seriously, or alternatives :)

Plus one for LED headlights especially if you like me are of the older generation.
Must have the waterproof seat covers for the dog IMHO.
Also think awning is essential for a Cali be it beach or Ocean. Every other option is then down to budget and preference.
Whatever you choose be sure to post your ordered spec :)

Another definite on the waterproof seat covers. We have a border terrier and use a fiamma collapsible crate, great bit of kit. We too tow a caravan for longer stays but find a driveaway awning very useful for long weekends . All the very best.

Plus one for LED headlights especially if you like me are of the older generation.
Must have the waterproof seat covers for the dog IMHO.
Also think awning is essential for a Cali be it beach or Ocean. Every other option is then down to budget and preference.
Whatever you choose be sure to post your ordered spec :)

Thank you appreciated! Definitely wanting to protect from dog!

When you say awning do you mean the wind out one?

Will post when/if I get one!

Cheers

Have you thought about the adaptive cruise control? It's excellent - wouldn't be without it.
Seat covers are a must with dogs.

Thank you appreciated! Definitely wanting to protect from dog!

When you say awning do you mean the wind out one?

Will post when/if I get one!

Cheers

Yes the Cali optional wind out one :thumb

Another definite on the waterproof seat covers. We have a border terrier and use a fiamma collapsible crate, great bit of kit. We too tow a caravan for longer stays but find a driveaway awning very useful for long weekends . All the very best.

Thank you! Is the crate a nylon one? I’ve googled that and and seems to be? He scratched and ripped his way through one when he was a pup so might need a metal one.

Like the idea of a drive away awning very much, something with a separate room in to have a portable toilet in too, which I could do with finding! Think that’s where business would be done!! Many thanks for you help

Have you thought about the adaptive cruise control? It's excellent - wouldn't be without it.
Seat covers are a must with dogs.

Great I have thought about cruise being a must, I’ve never had adaptive so thought if I can get one with it it would be a bonus. Just looked at costs and isn’t much more than standard cruise as an option (£402 vs £246) so does seems worth it to me if I was ordering new.

Thank you re seat covers! Do you/anyone know if there are any really good fitting ones to go for?

Cheers

... I’m hiring a camper this weekend now so should get an idea depending on what’s on it

We did that too as was not sure if we wanted short or long wheelbase, 150ps or more, the list went on!

We ended up with what we think is good for us, not exact specifications we might have ordered but with 10k on the clock she seems great so far! The trip to Belgium shortly will be the proof.

Last edited:
The dog crate is a heavy duty nylon I think but does fold down flat and zips into its own bag, as far as the wind out awning goes it isn't good in wind I'm afraid but we wind ours out about a metre and attach our khyam driveaway awning to it. The Thetford 335 porta potti fits in the cupboard below the sink and will also fit under the rear parcel shelf . Hope this helps.

Great I have thought about cruise being a must, I’ve never had adaptive so thought if I can get one with it it would be a bonus. Just looked at costs and isn’t much more than standard cruise as an option (£402 vs £246) so does seems worth it to me if I was ordering new.

Thank you re seat covers! Do you/anyone know if there are any really good fitting ones to go for?

Cheers

ACC - you may find that this also gives you the steering wheel upgrade ( it did with our Beach) but not sure on the latest configurations...

Covers - we got a discount from the dealer on the VW waterproof seat covers.

Great! Is it sturdy? I’ve wondered what it could be like if the wind picks up.
Hi
Personally I wouldn’t leave awning out overnight or if I went on a trip away from van.
There are those on forum who do - but most use a Thule tie down kit or similar from club shop and if leaving overnight they drop one end so rain runs off.
If you search California Chris on youtube he does a video on the awning - takes two minutes to set up and wind away.
They are pretty sturdy if pegged down with the guy rope kit I’ve mentioned but I wouldn’t risk strong winds - the main risk is gusts flipping the awning over the van.
:thumb

I’ve got a 2018 150 DSG Ocean and it’s a fantastic vehicle (four of us, including two boys aged 3 and 8). We added adaptive cruise (very relaxing), flappy paddles, wind out awning, towbar, shower (very useful for dogs!) and the glass pack (moderate tint and thicker glass - recommended). It’s a great combination. I’ve found the standard Ocean headlights to be absolutely fine, though LEDs are probably even better.

Young boys are as grubby as dogs so we’ve just invested in some Jackyards covers. Very expensive but easy to fit and beautifully made - highly recommended!

Enjoy!

We had a custom made dog crate made for the boot . By a company called Hamster baskets . It means we can't use the down stairs bed but as there is only myself and my husband this suits us. It also means you can leave the boot open and the dogs are safe. I'll try and post a photo.
I'm selling a set of black nylon inka seat covers if you are interested ☺

Back