Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie with dog wanting tips before buying

My two dogs travel on the back seat secured by their own seatbelts. I do not have covers, I really could not get on with them when fitted, so have tried every alternative.

I originally went for the padded, non-slip, super-waterproof, dog-claw resistant indestructible covers of which many different derivatives can be found in pet stores and on Amazon. Bulky, clumsy to fit, incredibly frustrating to keep in place. After my dogs destroyed two of the things in weeks by no more than excitedly leaping about on them I decided that they were not a good idea.

I then went for the individual padded seat protectors that secure around the headrest. As there were gaps between the two I fitted a blanket underneath with a hole cut into it for the seatbelts. They proved less indestructible than advertised, the blanket kept slipping and the attachments kept coming loose.

We then bought Jo's caravan and she needed some towels for it. Whilst I was ordering them I had a lightbulb moment. I will treat myself to a new set and find a use for the old ones.

First big microfibre towel goes across the seat back, long enough to tuck around the side, wide enough to tuck between seat back and squab. Second one goes over the squab, again long enough to tuck around the sides, wide enough etc. The seat back one is held in place when the headrests are returned to normal position. If the dogs are very wet I simply double up on towels used.

I have not had any dirt or mud on the seats since. Total cost, four old towels, buy new for about £25, easy to stow, have other uses as dog towels, towels for dogs to sleep on at night etc.... doddle to clean and two minutes to fix in place. Far more durable than all the "indestructible" covers we have used.

We did that too as was not sure if we wanted short or long wheelbase, 150ps or more, the list went on!

We ended up with what we think is good for us, not exact specifications we might have ordered but with 10k on the clock she seems great so far! The trip to Belgium shortly will be the proof.
Thank you I think that’s the thing getting whatever suits you/makes you happy to own! I bet Belgium will be fab! You’ll have to post how you got on!

T
ACC - you may find that this also gives you the steering wheel upgrade ( it did with our Beach) but not sure on the latest configurations...

Covers - we got a discount from the dealer on the VW waterproof seat covers.
thank you I will ask the dealer about both if I choose to buy a California!

My two dogs travel on the back seat secured by their own seatbelts. I do not have covers, I really could not get on with them when fitted, so have tried every alternative.

I originally went for the padded, non-slip, super-waterproof, dog-claw resistant indestructible covers of which many different derivatives can be found in pet stores and on Amazon. Bulky, clumsy to fit, incredibly frustrating to keep in place. After my dogs destroyed two of the things in weeks by no more than excitedly leaping about on them I decided that they were not a good idea.

I then went for the individual padded seat protectors that secure around the headrest. As there were gaps between the two I fitted a blanket underneath with a hole cut into it for the seatbelts. They proved less indestructible than advertised, the blanket kept slipping and the attachments kept coming loose.

We then bought Jo's caravan and she needed some towels for it. Whilst I was ordering them I had a lightbulb moment. I will treat myself to a new set and find a use for the old ones.

First big microfibre towel goes across the seat back, long enough to tuck around the side, wide enough to tuck between seat back and squab. Second one goes over the squab, again long enough to tuck around the sides, wide enough etc. The seat back one is held in place when the headrests are returned to normal position. If the dogs are very wet I simply double up on towels used.

I have not had any dirt or mud on the seats since. Total cost, four old towels, buy new for about £25, easy to stow, have other uses as dog towels, towels for dogs to sleep on at night etc.... doddle to clean and two minutes to fix in place. Far more durable than all the "indestructible" covers we have used.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Makes a lot of sense! Can just throw towels in the washing machine and both easily and cheaply replaced and also will dry the dog well too as very absorbent I suspect.. The Cali I’ve got on hire has some faux leather seat covers which seem very strong too. Seem to be made by this company https://www.seatskinz.co.uk/ as they’re embroidered with “individual auto design”. They look a perfect fit to me too

I’ve got a 2018 150 DSG Ocean and it’s a fantastic vehicle (four of us, including two boys aged 3 and 8). We added adaptive cruise (very relaxing), flappy paddles, wind out awning, towbar, shower (very useful for dogs!) and the glass pack (moderate tint and thicker glass - recommended). It’s a great combination. I’ve found the standard Ocean headlights to be absolutely fine, though LEDs are probably even better.

Young boys are as grubby as dogs so we’ve just invested in some Jackyards covers. Very expensive but easy to fit and beautifully made - highly recommended!

Enjoy!
Thank you sounds a fantastic set up very much along the lines of what I'm interested in but i'd like the 199/204ps to give more grunt for towing. I think I saw an accessory to heat the water than you can connect to the shower somewhere which I think could help it's use very much

Loads of cover recommendations on here and I can absolutely see why after trying a cali this weekend with dog!

Do you get the paddles only with the sports steering wheel option?

Thank you!

Inka seat covers are a must. Water bowl that does not spill. Seatbelt harness to prevent dog becoming a projectile in an accident. Washable carpets.
Thank you! Any recommendations for washable carpets? Are there any that you can buy that are made to fit?

We had a custom made dog crate made for the boot . By a company called Hamster baskets . It means we can't use the down stairs bed but as there is only myself and my husband this suits us. It also means you can leave the boot open and the dogs are safe. I'll try and post a photo.
I'm selling a set of black nylon inka seat covers if you are interested ☺
Looks great! I've only 1 spaniel so it's not so bad to control him but if I had 3 of him, that'd not be good as he can switch off listening sometimes!!

Thanks regarding the covers, I might not have a cali for a while as I'm struggling to see the spec I'd want so prob will have to order new, but I'd bet what I want is sat in a dealership somewhere as they don't seem to list all the new VW's in showrooms on any websites annoyingly...!

Considering 4motion DSG 199ps, and have decided on a few must have options, LED lights, cruise control, tow bar, reversing camera (hoping it helps with hitching up!), high beam assistant for relaxed country lane driving. Not sure what glass to choose.

Wondering if there are any options that have problems and should be avoided, or things that are must haves that would make the ownership better.

LED’s are nice, but not essential. I have them on this motor (not my previous one) and would definately order them again, but they are expensive. ACC is definatlely worth the extra IMO.

Only other thing to mention is the stereo upgrade so you can connect your phone for Sat Nav (Apple CarPlay or similar).

Thank you sounds a fantastic set up very much along the lines of what I'm interested in but i'd like the 199/204ps to give more grunt for towing. I think I saw an accessory to heat the water than you can connect to the shower somewhere which I think could help it's use very much

Loads of cover recommendations on here and I can absolutely see why after trying a cali this weekend with dog!

Do you get the paddles only with the sports steering wheel option?

Thank you!

I think the paddles were described as being part of a sports wheel. All I know is that I’ve got them on the Golf (very quick) and wanted them on the Cali (not quick but the added ease of control up and down steep hills is great).

A couple of other upgrades that spring back to mind include parking sensors all round (brilliant and essential, especially in combination with the reversing camera), and the 6.33” audio system. I ordered this so I could use the iPhone for navigation through CarPlay; it works very well but may prove expensive if roaming charges are reintroduced, in which case it’ll be back to a trusty old TomTom!

I completely understand your engine choice. I will occasionally tow my boat (less than a tonne including trailer) but the 150 is fine for us, and still surprisingly quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the alcantara and I was reluctant to cover them up, but needs must where dogs are concerned!

I’ve found a straightforward thick fleece over the rear bench and held in by the headrests has done the job so far. Each dog has a ‘robe’ for when the are wet so if they shake, it’s all contained.

On the floor, (on another forum members recommendation) we bought the washable Dunelm Marvel Mat. I went for the ‘rug’ type as you can buy it in 150cm x 80cm size. It has been cut down with the off cut being put through the centre of the cab.

Each dog is harnessed in to a seatbelt so they can get up or down but are still safe and so far it’s working really well.

DEDBA935-8693-4752-9A33-E0ADF8241651.jpeg

E650AA13-D7A4-4A97-B2F1-0FC7A4351AE5.jpeg

LED’s are nice, but not essential. I have them on this motor (not my previous one) and would definately order them again, but they are expensive. ACC is definatlely worth the extra IMO.

Only other thing to mention is the stereo upgrade so you can connect your phone for Sat Nav (Apple CarPlay or similar).
Thank you I was thinking about that stereo plus app connect (CarPlay and other things) but wasn’t planning to go as far and get the built in sat nav as felt that wasn’t good value if I have CarPlay (or I could get a separate sat nav with all the technology moving on so much I figure a built in sat nav on a vehicle of this type is not worth spending too much for as I hope it would be on the road for a very long time I tend to think that tech like this doesn’t age well generally!)

Would love ACC for sure. Cheers

We have the alcantara and I was reluctant to cover them up, but needs must where dogs are concerned!

I’ve found a straightforward thick fleece over the rear bench and held in by the headrests has done the job so far. Each dog has a ‘robe’ for when the are wet so if they shake, it’s all contained.

On the floor, (on another forum members recommendation) we bought the washable Dunelm Marvel Mat. I went for the ‘rug’ type as you can buy it in 150cm x 80cm size. It has been cut down with the off cut being put through the centre of the cab.

Each dog is harnessed in to a seatbelt so they can get up or down but are still safe and so far it’s working really well.

View attachment 41984

View attachment 41985
Thank you ever so much! I was thinking the Alcantara looks great but not sure I’d spec it if buying new as I’d just be covering the seats with another replacable layer anyway! I will look out for dog robes they will be very handy on many occasions even at home! I grab a big towel but still as you say they can shake off for a while!

Thank you ever so much! I was thinking the Alcantara looks great but not sure I’d spec it if buying new as I’d just be covering the seats with another replacable layer anyway! I will look out for dog robes they will be very handy on many occasions even at home! I grab a big towel but still as you say they can shake off for a while!

We only cover the rear bench when the dogs are in the van with us, wet or muddy. I remove the fleece most of the time.The alcantara is very hard wearing and wipes/wears really well. Most forum members will vouch for the fact that spills, water marks, stains etc are non existent and the fabric still looks great years later. We never cover the front seats and having owned both the standard seat fabric and alcantara with dogs, there is no competition. I’d spec alcantara every time. Like you say though, if you’re going to worry and cover them up anyway, it’s probably an expense you could do without.

Inka seat covers are a must. Water bowl that does not spill. Seatbelt harness to prevent dog becoming a projectile in an accident. Washable carpets.

+1 for all that.

Re the seat harness, make sure you get one that is really crash tested. I did some googling on this a while back and it's pretty obvious that most of them will fail in an accident, so will only serve as an 'anti distraction' aid to keep the dog on the seat when you aren't actually in the process of crashing.

We went for the Ezy-Dog harness which is one of the few products that has been properly crash tested.

+1 for Ezy-dog, both the doggy seatbelts and the harness.

I bought a seatbelt off a well-known pet accessories store. About the third time of fitting the stitching around the buckle just disintegrated and the buckle came away in my hand.

I think the paddles were described as being part of a sports wheel. All I know is that I’ve got them on the Golf (very quick) and wanted them on the Cali (not quick but the added ease of control up and down steep hills is great).

A couple of other upgrades that spring back to mind include parking sensors all round (brilliant and essential, especially in combination with the reversing camera), and the 6.33” audio system. I ordered this so I could use the iPhone for navigation through CarPlay; it works very well but may prove expensive if roaming charges are reintroduced, in which case it’ll be back to a trusty old TomTom!

I completely understand your engine choice. I will occasionally tow my boat (less than a tonne including trailer) but the 150 is fine for us, and still surprisingly quick!

Thank you, I can see that being handy re the paddles, however I suppose there is a +/- on the gearbox too so I could use that I guess? Maybe not as easy but workable???

I’m thinking I’d like the reversing camera, particularly for hitching up it will be great I’d imagine as it was on a previous car...

For roaming charges is that Apple that want to charge? If it’s your network provider then some providers do let you roam using your inclusive minutes, e.g. both 3 (feel like home or something it’s called) and Virgin I think both do it to some places, may be worth looking into if not already....

Thanks re towing it’s good to hear the experience. The 150 felt a small bit bogged down to me on some moderate hills without the ‘van on the back and I just thought the 199/204 would sort that, I hate having to divert around hills!!

Thank you

We only cover the rear bench when the dogs are in the van with us, wet or muddy. I remove the fleece most of the time.The alcantara is very hard wearing and wipes/wears really well. Most forum members will vouch for the fact that spills, water marks, stains etc are non existent and the fabric still looks great years later. We never cover the front seats and having owned both the standard seat fabric and alcantara with dogs, there is no competition. I’d spec alcantara every time. Like you say though, if you’re going to worry and cover them up anyway, it’s probably an expense you could do without.

Cheers for that, some of the covers can be very expensive so the Alcantara might actually make sense to get. I’d put towels/blankets down and some form of absorbent washable carpet like mentioned above also I think so probably workable with the Alcantara and it lifts the cabin too I think! Thank you

We managed to drop on some second hand genuine vw waterproof covers inc. Arm rest and headrest covers, they were as new and £100 delivered from this wonderful forum. So keep looking and you will get sorted.

Great! Is it sturdy? I’ve wondered what it could be like if the wind picks up.
The advice is you must peg down the awning and do t leave up overnight or be away from Cali if chance of rain as this can cause them to break.
My dealer also advised me not to go for the electric sliding door - just MO.
Also top top is to hire a Cali Vw dealers will hire from May and deduct cost of hire from your new purchase- that way you find out what you need and what you can do without .

The advice is you must peg down the awning and do t leave up overnight or be away from Cali if chance of rain as this can cause them to break.
My dealer also advised me not to go for the electric sliding door - just MO.
Also top top is to hire a Cali Vw dealers will hire from May and deduct cost of hire from your new purchase- that way you find out what you need and what you can do without .

Great! Thanks for the tips. I’m holding off buying now due to organisational changes at work so hiring might be just what I need, plus with the t6.1 probably not too far away....

What’s the concern over the electric door?

There has been some 'stalling' worries (it changes its mind half way through opening or closing) but more recently some (inc me) have had problems with scratching the rear quarter panel when it bounces into life. This has occurred on manual doors too, but seems more prevalent on elec. Mine now appears to be fixed but it took 3 attempts.

Not sure I'd pay extra for one, but if the right van pops up with one already fitted, I wouldn't run away. They are VERY handy when you've got your hands full.

Great! Thanks for the tips. I’m holding off buying now due to organisational changes at work so hiring might be just what I need, plus with the t6.1 probably not too far away....

Agree with @2into1 the simplier you can keep your Cali the bette ( that said I’ve had my own dabble with the options list).

I think that is being a little over-cautious/ Properly pegged out, tensioned and angled they can withstand a lot more than you might think. I cannot see those who have awning room sides taking everything down every time they go out or every night, but I have seen a lot of awnings on any vehicle just rolled out and that is a definite No No.

Back