Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No heated mirrors or rear window?!

Koops

Koops

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I’ve searched for this subject but didn’t find an answer so here goes...
I bought a new T6 Ocean in May this year with lots of options including electrically heated front windscreen. Before I reversed out of my driveway this morning I noticed frost on the front windscreen and used the electrical heater to clear the screen which it did very quickly - impressed!
While I was waiting, I looked for a switch for the rear window heater - none! Same story for the side mirrors, so I have a very expensive van with lots of features but have to resort to manual deicing /demisting if I need to reverse! Or is there a subtle control that I haven’t spotted amongst the 8 or so buttons that control the air distribution?

put the mirror switch on the drivers door to the centre. that should turn on the mirror heating

Unless the previous owned ordered the rear screen heated option, you won’t have it as they come with double glazing as standard.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
As Loz said, standard Ocean fitment is the double glazed non-heated rear screen, it is a cost option for the heated rear screen but you then lose the double glazing...

And as HC said for the mirrors ;)

The heated mirror is almost what @flying banana said on my Ocean. But with your thumb and finger on the mirror control you turn it anti clockwise to turn on the heat or clockwise to fold them in. Obviously when the mirrors are defrosted the onus is on you to remember to turn the switch off again there are no hints or reminders and leaving them switched on wont do your Cali any favours.

Regards the rear window, yes double glazing was the standard option. I think changing to the (single glazed) heated rear screen was either free ?? or low cost option but had to be changed during configuring.

The heated mirror is almost what @flying banana said on my Ocean. But with your thumb and finger on the mirror control you turn it anti clockwise to turn on the heat or clockwise to fold them in. Obviously when the mirrors are defrosted the onus is on you to remember to turn the switch off again there are no hints or reminders and leaving them switched on wont do your Cali any favours.

Regards the rear window, yes double glazing was the standard option. I think changing to the (single glazed) heated rear screen was either free ?? or low cost option but had to be changed during configuring.

There is bound to be a timer on the heated mirror circuit so it's won't stay on forever and in most cars the mirror heating is only functional with say the rear window heating being on - not sure on this in the Cali as it doesn't have that as others have noted...

There is bound to be a timer on the heated mirror circuit so it's won't stay on forever and in most cars the mirror heating is only functional with say the rear window heating being on - not sure on this in the Cali as it doesn't have that as others have noted...
It would time out, but start up again whenever you turn on the ignition again, even when not needed...

It would time out, but start up again whenever you turn on the ignition again, even when not needed...
Not noticed that on my 2015 MY. It times out when selected, but doesn’t come back on when the Ignition is switched on but has to be reselected.

• Informative
Not noticed that on my 2015 MY. It times out when selected, but doesn’t come back on when the Ignition is switched on but has to be reselected.
Fair enough, I'm only working from our '08 and a '14 Golf, both of which restart with the ignition - noticed it when I've accidentally forgotten to turn off previously...

No, theres no timer & they do stay on forever....

I’ve searched for this subject but didn’t find an answer so here goes...
I bought a new T6 Ocean in May this year with lots of options including electrically heated front windscreen. Before I reversed out of my driveway this morning I noticed frost on the front windscreen and used the electrical heater to clear the screen which it did very quickly - impressed!
While I was waiting, I looked for a switch for the rear window heater - none! Same story for the side mirrors, so I have a very expensive van with lots of features but have to resort to manual deicing /demisting if I need to reverse! Or is there a subtle control that I haven’t spotted amongst the 8 or so buttons that control the air distribution?

If you use the remote control for the habitation heater, you don't need to defrost any windows & the van will be warm inside as well.

No, theres no timer & they do stay on forever....
This is what I understood.
I didn't have any knowledge on that other than at handover the dealer demonstrated looked at me and said exactly this "don't leave them turned on" he didn't elaborate but his expression said they stay on ...so I didn't feel the need to confirm.

@Vw guru can you confirm?

Our showroom model was specced up with heated rear screen for some reason; it’s a no cost option. I would sooner have had the double glazing, in 8 years of previous Cali ownership I can never remember a time when the (double glazed) rear screen misted up.

My rear window can mist or freeze up as much as it can ....the blinds are always closed in the rear so it will not bother me...:D

Having now looked closer at the mirror control panel I can see the position for heating the mirrors, but when seated in the drivers seat this switch position is completely obscured by the knob for mirror adjustment, sorry for not spotting this earlier. Photo added.

F72DCCC1-9EAF-4BA3-9468-1EA43EF33D49.jpeg

Back