Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear heated window and wiper option

Spotlight Kid

Spotlight Kid

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
i was very surprised when ordering my new Ocean that the rear heated window wiper and washer system was not included by default and that you had to choose the option explicitly to get it. I asked the sales rep why this would be and he thought that it was a cosmetic issue with people preferring the lines of the tailgate without and as visibility through the back window was so limited then it wasn't really required. I therefore added the option to my order.

However, today I stumbled across a thread here where it was mentioned more or less in passing that having the heated rear window and wiper meant that the the glass wasn't insulated resulting in it being colder when sleeping downstairs and condensation forming on the glass.

Now I'm worried that I shouldn't have chosen the option. I would be far more concerned about being comfortable in the downstairs bed than having a clean rear window.

Is it right that having the option has this effect and should I change the order to remove the option?

I have chosen the privacy glass with heat insulation option as well.

Certainly on the T5.1 SE there is a wiper wash unit as well as the double glazing (but no heated rear window due to the double glazing risk of exploding!). I would not want single glazing as the windows would get very wet from condensation...... But can't see why the wiper is an issue......

i was very surprised when ordering my new Ocean that the rear heated window wiper and washer system was not included by default and that you had to choose the option explicitly to get it. I asked the sales rep why this would be and he thought that it was a cosmetic issue with people preferring the lines of the tailgate without and as visibility through the back window was so limited then it wasn't really required. I therefore added the option to my order.

However, today I stumbled across a thread here where it was mentioned more or less in passing that having the heated rear window and wiper meant that the the glass wasn't insulated resulting in it being colder when sleeping downstairs and condensation forming on the glass.

Now I'm worried that I shouldn't have chosen the option. I would be far more concerned about being comfortable in the downstairs bed than having a clean rear window.

Is it right that having the option has this effect and should I change the order to remove the option?

Yes, that is correct. It was clearer in the first price lists available for the T6:

78ecda4f7f9481a27d4aec7963735ddb.jpg

My personal opinion is that its probably more to do with VWs method of pricing. They are rather good at charging extra for things that really should be standard in this day and age. My experience is most dealers dont know much about the Cali and many guess at reasons.

I have a rear wiper and heated window with privacy glass and I can't say I've had any problems with cold at least that I've noticed. In fact if you're camping, using the poptop, the canvas will transfer the outside temp far better than the glass at the back would with or without the thermal glass.

I wouldn't worry too much, if you want the heated window and the wiper then go for it. I find the wiper very useful, it even auto turns on when you reverse and have your wipers on. I must admit the heated window has rarely been used, it just doesn't seem to steam up for me noticeably unless the van is full of soggy dogs or you've slept in it all night without the vents open. I can imagine the double glazed steams up even less?

Nothing to do with cost as the option is free but I thought you didn't get the wiper and washer unless you chose the option. They are the most important bits to me and I will forgo the heated window in favour of insulated glass I think.

Time to phone the dealer and change my order!

Nothing to do with cost as the option is free but I thought you didn't get the wiper and washer unless you chose the option. They are the most important bits to me and I will forgo the heated window in favour of insulated glass I think.

Time to phone the dealer and change my order!
There is a similar pitfall waiting for unsuspecting buyers relating to seat options that has been reported on this forum in other threads. Buyers can choose a free option to have comfort seats (which are height adjustable) instead of the standard seat option (at first glance a no-brainer) however there is a distinct disadvantage to this comfort seat option as the height adjustable seats don't swivel.

No problem at all with Heated rear window + wash wipe. Certainly do not notice any coldness due to it not being double glazed. Cheaper to replace if damaged. and I still like to see behind when driving so wash wipe handy.
Also not noticed any condensation on it even in the depths of winter.
Personally cannot see the point in double glazing unless ALL the windows were double glazed.

Is the double glazing more for noise than heat?? I've seen it called acoustic glass in one of the many versions of the VW brochures.

I have selected the privacy/insulation glass option so I do have insulated glass all around.

That's good then if it's a free option :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No such thing as a "free" option but the closest VW get with their no extra cost options.

No problem at all with Heated rear window + wash wipe. Certainly do not notice any coldness due to it not being double glazed. Cheaper to replace if damaged. and I still like to see behind when driving so wash wipe handy.
Also not noticed any condensation on it even in the depths of winter.
Personally cannot see the point in double glazing unless ALL the windows were double glazed.
Agree with WelshGas, no condensation at all on the side windows with standard privacy glass even at about -5/6 outside with a good 3-4 inches of snow on the the roof. I use a Comfortz screen cover on the front no condensation either. Even though it was minus temps outside the van was too warm with the heater on, at lease downstairs.

Good to hear that it is nice on snug without the insulated glass. I should be really cosy with the insulation then! :)

Good to hear that it is nice on snug without the insulated glass. I should be really cosy with the insulation then! :)
Yes, without proper ventilation you'll get it on the Windscreen and sliding window panels instead.:thumb

You will be but you will still need a good sleeping bag, quilt or lots of blankets:)

I have a duvet and a lovely warm dog to keep me cosy!

Just need the Cali now!

Just to clarify - I thought the rear wiper and washer was standard whether you chose heated rear window or not? As others have said, it's much clearer in the earlier price lists.

Has anyone taken delivery of a t6 without a rear wiper?

I've talked to the dealer and he has confirmed that the wiper and washer comes as standard. This is much clearer in a VW spreadsheet of options that he sent me but is extremely ambiguous in the printed price list brochure which was what I was basing my choice on originally.

Most of the options are described when you use the online car configurator. When the dealer creates the puchase order on his computer some options become even better described. From my experience there are very few dealers knowing all the california details and they know we spent hours, days, months reading every bit about it on the internet ..before ordering. From what I experienced and is confirmed by what I read here on the forum, no one has been advised by a dealer what option is interesting, necessary or only a matter of taste, what options you can combine or not.. We are lucky to have this forum.

Especially as there is no UK configurator.
sorry, didn't know that. That explains a lot..the configurator does not alow to chosse 2 incompatible options and describes every option with more detail than the brochure

Back