Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ex Demo advice

To be honest, I see it as a direct replacement for the Al Hambra which I would use for my daily needs. With four children (ages 8, 6, 4, 4) I can't escape the fact that we need a big car. Now that they're getting older, I may as well make it fun as well with the option of camping and bigger day trips. If we go camping, I was thinking 3/4 in the car and 2/3 in an awning/tent... certainly not all six of us! Regardless of the camping side, it would still be used every day as an MPV

Quick question: Does the bed work with the extra seat still in the car? Do you have to remove the extra seat, or can children potentially sleep down below on a smaller bed that isn't at full stretch?

Thanks for all the feedback. Your comments on the price are giving me pause. It seems that automatics are marked up by about £3/4,000.... having always driven a manual I'm pretty agnostic about whether I should get one or the other. I've seen a few threads on manuals v automatics and get the impression it's a divisive issue!
The DSG does have Sport Mode AND Manual - just no Clutch Pedal.

I should add that the tent we currently have takes about 70% of the boot space in the Al Hambra, so it would be nice to have a bit more packing space for other things!

Quick question: Does the bed work with the extra seat still in the car? Do you have to remove the extra seat, or can children potentially sleep down below on a smaller bed that isn't at full stretch?

Useful info here:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sleeping-downstairs-in-a-3-seat-beach.14645/

If you have not already I'd get down the dealers with your crew and spend a morning playing around with the thing or better still blag it for a weekend to try at your leisure. Should not be an issue if spending this sort of money.

No, the bed will not work unless the seat is removed. It's a big old lump to take in and out - definitely get to a dealer and try it or better still blag one for a weekend to play with. :thumb
Is a rare wrong answer from Max-Felix.

You can make the bed with two additional seats but not one additional seat.

Fold the front edge of the multiflex down into the shortened position.
Lower the 3 seat bench and push back to the narrowed multiflex.
Fold the two single seats and push back to the bench.
Put the mattress on top and hey presto! You have a gigantic 2m by 1.5m bed.

You can also make the normal bed leaving one seat in place by pushing it to its front most position with the removable rails removed and the front passenger seat fully forward.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Number 2 but only if you are desparate to buy now. If it were me, I would carry on looking until I found one that better suited my needs. IMO 4000 miles is second hand not a demo and 49k is a lot to pay for a Beach without a parking heater. If I were you I would just hold on a little longer as something better will pop up.

Re Beach prices, if you play around with the options configurator it's easy to spec a Beach that will sail well past the £60k list price and that's why demonstrators are such good value.

Try telephoning dealers to ask them if they have any demonstrators coming in soon. You might be able to secure a bargain before its even registered. We purchased a seven seat Beach with all the bells and whistles with a massive saving over new. It was unregistered when we purchased it and when we picked it up three months later it had 172 miles on the clock. You can still get the extended warranty and cheap service packages as long as you nagotiate before it's turned three months old.

What ever you decide the parking heater, comfort mattress and awning are essential options to have.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Is a rare wrong answer from Max-Felix.

You can make the bed with two additional seats but not one additional seat.

Fold the front edge of the multiflex down into the shortened position.
Lower the 3 seat bench and push back to the narrowed multiflex.
Fold the two single seats and push back to the bench.
Put the mattress on top and hey presto! You have a gigantic 2m by 1.5m bed.

You can also make the normal bed leaving one seat in place by pushing it to its front most position with the removable rails removed and the front passenger seat fully forward.

You're right! I did go back, delete and re-edit as I wanted to check something bugging me about the answer I gave and I remembered in a topic I had saved (linked)! I think you must have just quoted me seconds before I deleted it.

Amazingly helpful on all fronts.... Thanks all! I have decided to hold fire for now and do some more research.

I viewed the more expensive one on Friday. Got excited and nearly jumped the gun. The dealer has offered to throw in a detachable towbar, but I've seen some on sale in Birmingham which might be worth a look. Bit of schlep from Sussex, but worth it for an £8k saving. (I enquired about the one listed on the forum that some of you mentioned, but it looks like I've been beaten to it).

You can deal remotely with Liverpool (and I suspect others), with pretty good protection.
A train to Manchester Piccadilly or Liverpool Limestreet, either followed by a more local train would see you at a local station where they will collect you.
It’s not quite as exciting as a big day out with the family, but an option. Servicing and warranty repairs can be done anywhere. Just a thought.

You can deal remotely with Liverpool (and I suspect others), with pretty good protection.
A train to Manchester Piccadilly or Liverpool Limestreet, either followed by a more local train would see you at a local station where they will collect you.
It’s not quite as exciting as a big day out with the family, but an option. Servicing and warranty repairs can be done anywhere. Just a thought.

Thanks... Birmingham seems to have better deals at the moment and I'm talking to them about part exchange, so will see how that goes. I also have to factor in taking a day off work into the cost. Don't think I could convince my wife to sacrifice one of her weekend days for a six-hour (plus) round trip to check out a van with four children! She's less excited about the whole project than I am, but I'm sure once we have it she'll enter into the spirit.

Thanks... Birmingham seems to have better deals at the moment and I'm talking to them about part exchange, so will see how that goes. I also have to factor in taking a day off work into the cost. Don't think I could convince my wife to sacrifice one of her weekend days for a six-hour (plus) round trip to check out a van with four children! She's less excited about the whole project than I am, but I'm sure once we have it she'll enter into the spirit.
Part exchange can be useful but they make their profit somehow/someway and taking another make in often means lower trade-in.
Private sale can bring in more but at a cost to you in time etc:. I couldn't be bothered with all that and just used We Buy any Car, the day before pickup of my vehicle. Payment can be made to bank same day. Others might rubbish them but for a hassle free sale it was as good as a trade-in with a better price, in fact £3000 better.

Part exchange can be useful but they make their profit somehow/someway and taking another make in often means lower trade-in.
Private sale can bring in more but at a cost to you in time etc:. I couldn't be bothered with all that and just used We Buy any Car, the day before pickup of my vehicle. Payment can be made to bank same day. Others might rubbish them but for a hassle free sale it was as good as a trade-in with a better price, in fact £3000 better.

Thanks. I looked into We Buy Any Car but my local dealer offered me £200 more. Like you, I can't be bothered with listing it myself as I think the difference will be fairly marginal.

Birmingham and Liverpool are the same dealer group anyway FWIW. I bought mine from Liverpool and can't fault them. If you have got your eye on one, don't let the cat out of the bag until you have done the deal otherwise someone reading this forum might get there first!

You're right! I did go back, delete and re-edit as I wanted to check something bugging me about the answer I gave and I remembered in a topic I had saved (linked)! I think you must have just quoted me seconds before I deleted it.
I have found a photo of the standard bed with one additional seat.
0a0984571eab9e48eeaf348362a6ffb5.jpg

Hello Anthony,
If you live in Sussex have you tried SMG at Tonbridge? We have bought two ex demo Calis from them in the last three years. We were looked after by Laine Watts who is really excellent. He really knows his California stuff.

If you are thinking of getting an ex demo Cali then be sure to check that it has only been used for accompanied test drives. Some dealers loan out thier demo vans as try before you buy deals. I would avoid these as they usually have high mileage for a demo and may have minor damage due to this type of usage. Any demo Cali should be as new when you pick it up with all of its bits and bobs. If it isn't then get the dealer to rectify the issue before signing. If they won't then walk away

Hello Anthony,
If you live in Sussex have you tried SMG at Tonbridge? We have bought two ex demo Calis from them in the last three years. We were looked after by Laine Watts who is really excellent. He really knows his California stuff.
+1 for Tonbridge. The whole team know their stuff (more or less) and if they don't there's Laine. They are the #2 California centre in the UK.

So, we're finally ditching the Seat Al Hambra and upgrading to a Beach (and I'm very excited about it too). Our local dealer has access to two ex demo models that more or less fit our bill. The main thing that I see they are lacking is auxiliary heater, but I get the impression this can be fitted afterwards. My preference would be the slightly pricier one, but I'd like to defer to your expertise to see if I'm missing something obvious!

The options are, this for £45,990:

VW California Beach 2.0 TDI 150PS EU6 BMT DSG
2017 67 Plate
4,000 miles
Bamboo Garden Green Metallic
Black Awning
Bluetooth Preperation
Cruise Control
Kutamo Cloth Trim
App-Connect
Car Net Guide
Detachable Towbar
Electric Folding Mirrors
Discover Media Navigation System
Front and Rear Parking Sensors
Rear Privacy Glass
Wi-Fi Preperation
7 Seats

Or this, for £48,990 and no miles, although I'd have to buy an extra seat as we need six seats minimum (I found one online for £550). Aside from the colour, the main difference seems to be that this one has a few more mod cons like climate control, sleeping mattress, parking camera and 17 inch alloys :

VW California Beach 2.0 TDI 150PS EU6 BMT DSG
Indium Grey Metallic
Black Awning
Rear Privacy Glass
Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Discover Media Navigation System
3-Seat Rear Bench
3-Zone ‘Climatronic’ Air Conditioning (Climate Control)
17” Cascavel Alloy Wheels
Lights & Vision Pack
80L Fuel Tank
Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mattress
Heated Front Seats
Heated Front Windscreen
Sliding Window in Side Door
Front and Rear Mudflaps
Electric Folding Mirrors
Front and Rear Parking Sensors with Reversing Camera
Cruise Control
Heated Front Washer Nozzles
App-Connect

Having bought an x demo last year I would make only the following suggestions - Make very sure the spec is what you want - and make very sure you are happy with the condition of the car (I was a little disappointed at the condition of carpets) - check all the bits and pieces are present (ours was missing a wheel jack)

Other wise I was very happy with the significant saving made

Good luck

Tim

Yeah very little floor space in the beach with the bed out even without an extra seat, even less with one but doable.

I bought a demo with 28 miles on it and untouched to the eye and made a huge saving so its worth hunting around and making the offer you want whats to lose.

If you're buying a demo really check the paint. Ours had ~150 miles and was approx 3 months old.. On close inspection there was treesap on the paint which I hadn't spotted on collection. No major harm but I wanted it polishing out. The other think is make sure it has your no-compromise options fitted or you'll kick yourself later. I'd go for the second one on those specs. Get them to throw in a bike rack and seat covers. With so many kids you can put a Brandrup or Thule Box on the rack for more storage.

What to look for are Demonstrators that have never left the showroom. Most buy 3-5 at a time but only use 1/2 for road demonstrations. A Beach just sold for £43000 in Newcastle with 9 miles on clock and a fully spec including Parking Heater and all the rest totaling about £54000 on the VW configuration machine.