Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noise in France

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The last few nights we have been on Aires well within range of church clocks. All striking the hours and half hours all night and the hours a second time about three minutes after the o clock. Can't French people afford clocks and watches or are they all deaf?
Cuckoo's rampant everywhere giving it some from around five thirty am and tonight we have our own personal owl in the next door but one tree. Love it here but my word is it noisy.

I can beat that. Most of the year I live at Alcoutim,Portugal. We have a church, and so does the Spanish village on the opposite river bank. Both Churches chime away, and repeat a couple of minutes after the first chimes.....Portugal keeps UK, Spain is an hour ahead, interesting working out what time it actually is..!

We have 2 church in our small town one is 10mins slow, we also have an air raid siren that goes off at midday, don't have a problem

Last edited:
howard_leight_laser_lite_earplugs_1.jpg

I was kept awake by Nightingales on a campsite last year.....what a racket! That Keats bloke had obviously never tried to sleep upstairs in a Cali when he wrote that poem.

If you wear ear plugs, you won't hear the thieves with their gassing devices coming for you so you are likely to have the 3 grand emergency stash, expensive jewellery and collection of rembrandt's stolen. Then you'll have a very sore head and feel sick in the morning....Jeez!!! ear plugs. You are asking for it :D

If you wear ear plugs, you won't hear the thieves with their gassing devices coming for you so you are likely to have the 3 grand emergency stash, expensive jewellery and collection of rembrandt's stolen. Then you'll have a very sore head and feel sick in the morning....Jeez!!! ear plugs. You are asking for it :D

Gosh! I'm off to buy ear plugs. Then it's likely I'll have 3 grand emergency stash, expensive jewellery and a collection of Rembrandts (I currently have none of the above lying around the van, but I do have 3 Norwegian Kronas, freebee plastic toys and a collection of Lidl receipts in various stashes.)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

If it's not a tv from the big white next door it's the church clocks.....
@briwy , earplugs it is for you :D

Some places a very quit some are not , noise from motorways also very noticeble if you are in the wrong place (wind)

Guess the fact we sleep in a pop-top tent does not help .

The clockbells giving away the time used to be the only way to know what time it was and knowing when the working day ended for the people working in the fields....
That is / was the general purpose of the bells in the tower .

Sorry folks, another reason for a high-top fully insulated for heat and sound.

If it's not a tv from the big white next door it's the church clocks.....
@briwy , earplugs it is for you :D

Some places a very quit some are not , noise from motorways also very noticeble if you are in the wrong place (wind)

Guess the fact we sleep in a pop-top tent does not help .

The clockbells giving away the time used to be the only way to know what time it was and knowing when the working day ended for the people working in the fields....
That is / was the general purpose of the bells in the tower .
Now if only they could get motorbike silencers to actual work the midnight road race that is ubiquitous throughout the western world would be less of a nuisance. Mind you their riders generous contribution to the organ transplant program is some compensation.

We were kept awake on our first night in France last week by frogs, yes frogs, chirping to each other all night in the stream behind us. Actually, we weren't awake ALL night, but every time I woke up to turn over there they were, yakking away to each other. There must have been THOUSANDS of them, judging by the noise. And the church bells, natch. Being a long term insomniac, I wear sleep headphones and listen to an audiobook all night, one that I've heard a hundred times before so I don't have to stay awake to know what happens next. I just pick a narrator with a steady even tone, and sleepless nights are very rare these days.

Also EVERY French village appears to have several dozen cockerels. Nuff said.

Agee with the frog comment. We have just returned from a month's traveling in Europe with our newly acquired Cali and have learnt so much. I'm a light sleeper but haven't struggled to sleep at all in the van-very comfy.

We have 2 church in our small town one is 10mins slow, we also have an air raid siren that goes off at midday, don't have a problem
Blimey, where do you live? I thought all that unpleasantness finished in 1945!

I thought this is why we bought our Cali.
To get away from the urban sprawl and pollution, to a place where the "Church Bells RING" and the "Dicky Birds SING" (is this the beginning of a song!!).

I've lived in rural France for 26 years and I love the sounds of chickens, cockerels, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, frogs, nightingales and even the odd donkey around my house. What I can't stand however is kids screaming non-stop on campsites, and out-of-control dogs that bark and yap at everything that moves in front of their campervan or motorhome!

Last edited:
I had a different experience once of a similar nature, we have those here too.

I was sharing a tent with a good friend (sadly no longer with us) who had particularly thunderous sleep apnea, his snoring was so loud there was no possible way to sleep. Time as you can imagine flowed incredibly slowly that night, the only way I knew time was passing at all, was the distant sound of a church clock chiming every 15 minutes. ;)

On that night it was a good thing weirdly, or i was just going bonkers.

I've lived in rural France for 26 years and I love the sounds of chickens, cockerels, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, frogs, nightingales and even the odd donkey around my house. What I can't stand however is kids screaming non-stop on campsites, and out-of-control dogs that bark and yap at everything that moves in front of their campervan or motorhome!

Not PC, but agree 100%, we avoid school holiday periods and have used "Aduly Only" sites on occasions, we have 2 large dogs (Setters) but keep them quiet as we appreciate that not everbody is doggie orientated, and especially not ones that bark and yap.

Not PC, but agree 100%, we avoid school holiday periods and have used "Aduly Only" sites on occasions, we have 2 large dogs (Setters) but keep them quiet as we appreciate that not everbody is doggie orientated, and especially not ones that bark and yap.
I'm really starting to dislike dogs. On an individual basis, i.e. friends' pooches etc, I think they're cute, but I am increasingly finding my life blighted by barking. We recently sold a house which had two yappers next door. That really ground us down as their owners put them in the garden yapping all day and you couldn't go to the bins or have the windows open etc without them going completely spanner. On every campsite there's always at least one whose owners seem to think it is ok to let bark all the time. This weekend, it was guard dogs in the vicinity barking like billio from 4.30am onwards. I love them, but think it would be nice if a new law came in to get their voice boxes removed! Apologies to all my many dog lover friends out there. If it's any consolation, my cat is a fighter and we now have to keep her in at night so our neighbourhood doesn't suffer.

It's never the dog's fault. Owners are to blame and should be expelled from a campsite if they can't control the barking and yapping. We have a dog (retriever) ourselves. He never barks on a campsite.

It's never the dog's fault. Owners are to blame and should be expelled from a campsite if they can't control the barking and yapping. We have a dog (retriever) ourselves. He never barks on a campsite.
I know. And dog owners like you are fabulous. Just a shame there aren't more like you out there. I know I'm sensitive after living next door to the yappers from hell for 8 years. I was worried I wouldn't be able to sell my house and was looking at selling it to we buy any house dot com for about 60% of its value but, lo and behold, there is a god, they put their house on the market just before we were about to go so I could sell to a lovely chap with no need to even mention the hell we'd been living through. And it was REALLY bad!