Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speeding in France.

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Got my second only speeding ticket in over fifty years of driving yesterday.
On the way down to the Pyrenees and following a string of slow lorries for about five miles. Got to a three lane section going up a hill and followed a French guy past all the lorries. Top of the hill stopped by the gendarmes who relived me and the French guy of ninety euros and took my details. All very friendly and rather surprised they didn't check any vehicle paperwork. (In the Yeti as the Cali is in having the roof done).
Anyone know if I'll end with points on my licence? Can't seem to find a definitive answer on the net.
Incidentally a lot more cameras and police out trapping here now. They are really getting keen.

Bad luck , foriegn plates always attract speeding fines in France , in the weekends they go out sitting on the downhill sections of the roads in thiere car taking your speed downhill . They spot the foriegn plate and collect...
From June 2018 the max speed on the route national goes from 90 to 80km/h if driving on the single lane each direction RN

Bad luck , foriegn plates always attract speeding fines in France , in the weekends they go out sitting on the downhill sections of the roads in thiere car taking your speed downhill . They spot the foriegn plate and collect...
From June 2018 the max speed on the route national goes from 90 to 80km/h if driving on the single lane each direction RN
The joy of the ACC, set the speed limit and relax, 80 mph on most autoroutes, why go faster?

No you won’t get points - there is no inter country way of doing that yet. We film a few car rally’s that leave the UK and head in to Europe - lots of cash payouts but no points back home. They love a foreign plate to boost the bank account :)

You will not get any points on your UK License. Unless things have changed in the last few months. I spend about 6 months a year in France and have not noticed any increase in the number of mobile or fixed cameras.

Also talk of reducing 130Kph to 120Kph on Autoroutes.

Unlucky.
How fast were you going for a 90 € fine ?
I don't think it matters - you can get a €90 fine for just about anything, including failing to stop at one of those ridiculous stop lines they paint on the road as traffic calming measures. Although the 8-year old gendarme did let me off...

I don't think it matters - you can get a €90 fine for just about anything, including failing to stop at one of those ridiculous stop lines they paint on the road as traffic calming measures. Although the 8-year old gendarme did let me off...
Speeding fines in germany are set according to how much over the limit you were caught driving.
I often cruise through france set at 145kmh and wondered if they also set accordingly.

Speeding fines in germany are set according to how much over the limit you were caught driving.
I think Switzerland set speeding fines as a product of speed over limit and a percent of annual income.

Norway have a mandatory prison sentence for excessive speed over the limit ~2.5 times the limit if my memory is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. Where did you get that from?
Read it but can't find the article now. It was about the road safety overall discussions.
It said that the 90 to 80 change was set to be introduced and that the 130 to 120 on Autoroutes was being considered for future introduction. Note I did say that there was talk of it not that it was being introduced at this time.

From time to time the French will set up speed traps. For some reason unlike the UK they don't need to give any warning and I have seen many traps in which the speed gun is aiming at the side of the cars so giving miss readings. It's just a money maker. If you look up how most RTA,s come about in France, the highest reason is low speed knocks at junctions due to tailgating. The police are also very poorly funded and handing out fines helps balance the books.F

Thanks for the tip off HC.

Some info in Englisch as i read about it in the Belgian newspapers.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/10/france-cuts-speed-limit-rise-deaths

@bvddobb , i agree on the fact who takes the risk who pays the fine . Just saying foriegn drivers beeing stopped afther tracking down with the speedgun must pay direct and thats why the police picks them out by licenceplate.

Sathurdaymornings on RN , garentee you come accros a police car standing next to the road spotting foriegn licence plates.

If you look up how most RTA,s come about in France, the highest reason is low speed knocks at junctions due to tailgating.
That doesn't explain why there are twice as many road accident fatalities per year in France (3445 in 12 months to Nov 16) compared to the UK (1792 in 2016).

That doesn't explain why there are twice as many road accident fatalities per year in France (3445 in 12 months to Nov 16) compared to the UK (1792 in 2016).
Generally, countries which drive on the right have a worse safety record than countries which drive on the left. The two circumstances might be unconnected, and Norway, which drives on the right, has one of the very best safety records in the world.

https://visual.ly/community/infogra...nts-regards-left-and-right-hand-sided-driving

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Some info in Englisch as i read about it in the Belgian newspapers.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/10/france-cuts-speed-limit-rise-deaths

@bvddobb , i agree on the fact who takes the risk who pays the fine . Just saying foriegn drivers beeing stopped afther tracking down with the speedgun must pay direct and thats why the police picks them out by licenceplate.

Sathurdaymornings on RN , garentee you come accros a police car standing next to the road spotting foriegn licence plates.
I wouldn´t think that they target the foreigners.
A speeding car is a speeding car. Isn´t it ?

What happened to that law in france where you had to carry 2 alcohol testers in the car ?
Is it not required anymore ?

I think the alcohol tester thing is still a law but they don't practisise it anymore ...

I wouldn´t think that they target the foreigners.
A speeding car is a speeding car. Isn´t it ?

What happened to that law in france where you had to carry 2 alcohol testers in the car ?
Is it not required anymore ?
It is the law, but the fine for not carrying one (€11) that was supposed to come into affect in 2013, has never been enforced.

I don’t carry breath testers in France and none of my French friends do either. I’m not even sure where to buy one now. I think it mainly flopped because the two factories authorised to make NF breath testers were unable to make them in sufficient quantities.

I don’t thing the police care if you are French or British when it comes to handing out speeding fines.

Sorry to say that the French police DO target tourists. How do I know that,well I loved next to a French police man for 15 years. The reason being, that tourists are seen as easy meat and it does not upset their own. F