Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speeding in France.

I have certainly seen an increase in fixed speed cameras in Brittany in the last year, often in very rural locations. Lovely open roads 110 km speed limit and who is sailing past you.....the French of course! Gendarmes as rare as hens teeth apart from the times the farmers set fire to tyres and hay bales to barricade the local supermarket or let a pig maraude around the aisles!

But do leave proper time to get to the ferry.....they do know when you're on the road.

However it is such a joy to drive around the place nothing will put me off!

Correction: only SPEEDING foreign plates collect speeding fines... Don't speed, then you don't get fined.

But then where is the fun in it?? :)

If you speed and get a fine, don't whine! Rather, sit very still in a corner, be very quiet, and shame...

I use Waze as as sat nav.... it’s not 100% accurate but very interactive with other users and does let you know instantly of speed traps... got off the hook in NJ last week...

We got stopped & fined 90€ for not stopping at a (completely empty) road junction in the Dordogne in August. But while we were paying, another couple of cars were also flagged down, all French people, so I don't think there's any bias.

I use Waze as as sat nav.... it’s not 100% accurate but very interactive with other users and does let you know instantly of speed traps... got off the hook in NJ last week...
Illegal to have a speed trap warning on in you vehicle in France

We got stopped & fined 90€ for not stopping at a (completely empty) road junction in the Dordogne in August. But while we were paying, another couple of cars were also flagged down, all French people, so I don't think there's any bias.[/QUOTE
Yep, must stop completely at stop signs for the designated period. Can't remember if it's three or five seconds though.
We got stopped & fined 90€ for not stopping at a (completely empty) road junction in the Dordogne in August. But while we were paying, another couple of cars were also flagged down, all French people, so I don't think there's any bias.

Yep, must stop completely for the designated time. Can't remember if it's three or five seconds though.

Not just France for not stopping, recall way back in the 1970's in Germany they had a camera in the verge by a stop junction that took a sequence of still photos and if the wheel photo wasn't clear, blurred due to movement, a fine was dished out. They also had a Splittie with one headlight the other was the radar speed detector.
Stop means stop which few drivers here in UK seem to understand.
Must confess to not previously applying the 3 second rule, 1 or 2 yes.

Easy solution. Do not break the required speed limit especially in a camper van. :)

In Spain they also use helicopters.

But, why people want drive faster than allowed?

You're in your Camper - What's the rush? Keep to the speed limits and save your worries, lives and enjoy the scenery!