Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy sliding door

Worth pointing out my Van is pretty new too so it must have somehow got out of adjustment. Maybe to screws were not fully torqued?

RESULT!

Cali back from VW yesterday and its TOTALLY SILENT not even the slightest rattle or knock anywhere and I drove over every type of road surface.

The annoying loud rattle was heard just over the right shoulder and was pin pointed by me as the door catches.

VW tried to adjust without success so replaced the parts under warranty with new and BINGO total silence....

BLISS SWEET SILENCE :).

PS: The think the part (of the three) causing the noise was the top one.

Last edited:
Missed this thread before and I've had this problem from new and will now go to VW for a fix.

I got a warning not to go to welshgas's link today on McAfee. The link site not welshgas.
Using Windows 10
Had the option to go to site at my own risk, not blocked completely.

Last edited:
Missed this thread before and I've had this problem from new and will now go to VW for a fix.

I got a warning not to go to welshgas's link today on McAfee. The link site not welshgas.
Yes I hot same warning re WELSHGAS LINK I told him a week ago.
Must be using Microsoft Windows?, No such problem on my Apple equipment. I also have F-Secure from my Internet Provider and that doesn't report any problems either.

Yes but the link has a virus you should delete it :)
Not according to F Secure it doesn't. . Just don't click on it. Apple/Linux users won't have a problem.

Not according to F Secure it doesn't. . Just don't click on it. Apple/Linux users won't have a problem.
Looks like the problem only relates to Microsoft Windows users.

OK you win leave it but I have the very latest professional Norton Security system and it identified a dangerous bug in that link. I will get my coat....:headbang

And TO GET BACK ON THREAD the noisy sliding door is fixed quiet as a mouse...
RESULT!

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have said before - This Windows user hasn't got a problem. This time or previously.
Have you tried access directly rather than via the link?[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Jeez I did not say you cannot access the link just that Norton Security says its infected. You choose.

Can the mods not move all the posts about the possible link threat to somewhere else as this has ruined a very useful thread with a positive outcome many may be interested in.?

Last edited:
Glad to see you got it sorted, that rattle used to drive me nuts.

Welcome to the silence of the open road haha

Can the mods not move all the posts about the possible link threat to somewhere else as this has ruined a very useful thread with a positive outcome many may be interested in.?
11 posts by you and 7 by others regarding the Link I posted
You can delete your own posts if you wish.:thumb

Out of interest Gazilomdid VW change the parts without hesitation of did you have to persuade them?

Can you give a brief description of the process and complaints you went through with the vw garage and if they were obliging? It seems to be a common problem even on new vans.

Might help others rid the dreaded rattle

RESULT!

Cali back from VW yesterday and its TOTALLY SILENT not even the slightest rattle or knock anywhere and I drove over every type of road surface.

The annoying loud rattle was heard just over the right shoulder and was pin pointed by me as the door catches.

VW tried to adjust without success so replaced the parts under warranty with new and BINGO total silence....

BLISS SWEET SILENCE :).

PS: The think the part (of the three) causing the noise was the top one.
Hello Gazellio,
Can you clarify what parts were replaced please.

I bet it was the top female part on the pillar.? Identified in your earlier post

Top male & female parts definitely replaced. I think they may have changed the bottom pair too but the noise was from the top pair.

Out of interest Gazilomdid VW change the parts without hesitation of did you have to persuade them?

Can you give a brief description of the process and complaints you went through with the vw garage and if they were obliging? It seems to be a common problem even on new vans.

Might help others rid the dreaded rattle

No persuasion its under warranty they simply did a short road test agreed with my diagnosis and ordered the parts and then arranged a courtesy car. Job complete 24 hours later. Well done VW Commercial Colindale.

PS: Mine is only 9 months old.

Great result to a very annoying problem Gazellio, many thanks for your update post you have probably helped more members that you’ll ever know. Not sure VW will be that impressed! Easy fix perfect result
Enjoy the silence

Hi all, we identified this noise and after many many months of trial and error and trying lots of the suggested fixes I finally identified the source of our creaking.
It simply turned out to be the sliding door closing too tight on the door seal. As it was so tight even the smallest amount of torsion on the frame caused it to creak ( you can check by pushing on the the edges of the sliding door from the outside)

By adjusting the top runner slightly so the door was not as tight the creak has now disappeared (although I can now hear a slight rattle from the awning ).

Just a word of warning, the torx screws are pretty tight and make sure you mark the location of the bracket before loosening the 2 torx screws.

Just make sure you don't make it too untight. You don't want water to intrude from between the rubber and the sliding door.
You could also try to lubricate the rubber once in a while, as they get dry and make the cracking noise, if you haven't done this already.