Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What I Hate About My T6.1 Ocean

Let's be honest, once you've seen Google Maps, Waze or ABRP your eyes have seen what cannot be unseen.
If I'm honest, I can't stand the look or functionality of any of those. IMO Waze looks like it was drawn by a three-year-old.

I found the VW satnav fine - once I got used to it.

But, my personal preference is for Tomtom, which doesn’t rely on having a signal as the maps are held on my phone. And quite often, when there’s no signal that’s precisely when I need the satnav!

And now that Tomtom is available via Android Auto, I’m very happy.

Don’t mind the pro nav system so much tbh.. apart from the slooooww loading! Things I hate;

We connect App.. lack of functionality (can’t even control the heater), glitchy from the start, currently not working. Crap app IMO.

Heater settings; Poorly thought out in general, lack of heat compared to previous versions and not being able to set the heating to come on without the key in the ignition drives me nuts.. kind of defeats the object for me.

Seat cover material attracts dirt and stain like no ones business making the early days of using the van an anxious nightmare :).. seat covers a must, Inca tailored waterproof covers come highly recommended!

Other than that, I few little niggles, but in general I’m very happy with my Cali!

I can assure you I have searched and searched and searched for how to change the settings... if you have a T6.1 and can help, please let me know.
Thought I'd start a thread with a provocative title. Actually, there's not very much at all that I hate, but there are a couple of very annoying things.
  • The Discover SatNav. It's pants, as I mentioned elsewhere. I'd rather have a hole in the dash to hold my Big Mac and Fries while driving.
  • Those damned sliding windows in the rear. Difficult to reach even for those in the back when they are belted up. Impossible to reach for someone with mild physical disabilities from the front. As I am normally on the own, with my dog in the back, if I want to open/close/adjust them, I need to: stop, get out, open the sliding door, get in the back, close the sliding door, adjust the window, open the sliding door, get out, close the sliding door, get back in the front. And even if I am in the right place, I need two hands to release the catch and pull the window inwards before it will move. By this time I need a rest and a cup of tea. Lucky the gas hob works so well. Plus point to those windows is that the dog loves sticking his nose out when on the move.
I have a cheap old smartphone on my Ocean permanently switched on and mobile data unlimited SIM connected with VW cable. Google maps starts automatically on Android Auto. This works well at a fraction of the cost, also emergency spare phone. The mobile no is known to no-one, its amazing how many auto spoof calls I still get though. I find my Cali pretty much perfect after five months. Er just one more thing... the manual. Designed in 1985 and updated by the same crew on the same DTP software ever since. Copious legal warnings for five year old on every page. Thank goodness for YouTube videos for this novice, Cali Chris, take a bow.

I tend to use Waze the most with occasionally Sygic which has recently upped its game. The one in my Nissan X Trail is very good with traffic updates on route but map updates are in frequent! Fine if no roads changed. Waze is my main system but must admit it did have me smile in Cotswold last month when it took me down a road saying 'new quicker route found..' - after 2 miles it turned into a farm track with no passing places and long way to reverse. Car wouldn't have made it as it would have ground; thankfully I have high ground clearance - ended up going through farm yard but chap there said was a legit short cut!!!!!! Route never mentioned cow s*** en-route though!

To be honest there is not one good thing I can say about my Cali ocean , If I wasn’t terminally ill and could find a Marco Polo it would be gone tomorrow.

Thought I'd start a thread with a provocative title. Actually, there's not very much at all that I hate, but there are a couple of very annoying things.
  • The Discover SatNav. It's pants, as I mentioned elsewhere. I'd rather have a hole in the dash to hold my Big Mac and Fries while driving.
  • Those damned sliding windows in the rear. Difficult to reach even for those in the back when they are belted up. Impossible to reach for someone with mild physical disabilities from the front. As I am normally on the own, with my dog in the back, if I want to open/close/adjust them, I need to: stop, get out, open the sliding door, get in the back, close the sliding door, adjust the window, open the sliding door, get out, close the sliding door, get back in the front. And even if I am in the right place, I need two hands to release the catch and pull the window inwards before it will move. By this time I need a rest and a cup of tea. Lucky the gas hob works so well. Plus point to those windows is that the dog loves sticking his nose out when on the move.
Totally agree with your point regarding The Discover SatNav. Why can't VW just have a Postcode search option rather than having to drop in the complete address from back to front ? We have a 2020 T6 Ocean so maybe slightly different to 6.1 but it is a pain....I end up using my Andriod through Apps for Sat Nav. Any tips welcomed re best way to use T6 factory fitted Sat Nav.

Totally agree with your point regarding The Discover SatNav. Why can't VW just have a Postcode search option rather than having to drop in the complete address from back to front ? We have a 2020 T6 Ocean so maybe slightly different to 6.1 but it is a pain....I end up using my Andriod through Apps for Sat Nav. Any tips welcomed re best way to use T6 factory fitted Sat Nav.
There is a post code search on the T6.1

Ditto for that. Recuperating after a Munro a couple of weeks ago I had planned some maintenance with earbuds and WD40 - every groove cleared out, the cupboards and windows now open and close like a dream again, possibly better. Whilst doing it I also found I wasn’t actually pushing the windows in the right direction to actually close them (only for the first 4½ years mind). Is the ‘dry’ WD-40 similar to the GT85 bike spray? Sounds like it could be
Sorry I don't think it is the same as GT80, when it has dried it doesn't feel oily or greasy. Just non stick like a clean teflon pan.

There is also a post code search on my T5.1 RNS 510. Was it eliminated on the T6?

There is also a post code search on my T5.1 RNS 510. Was it eliminated on the T6?
No, it's still there.

Read here.

To be honest there is not one good thing I can say about my Cali ocean , If I wasn’t terminally ill and could find a Marco Polo it would be gone tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that a fellow member is terminally ill. Hope you are getting some counselling as you go through such a devastating diagnosis. Your California van should be playing its role in enhancing your life. It would be great for you to learn to enjoy the simple, easy-going thing in life, and let silly difficulties pass you by.

If your GP or practice nurse hasn’t already done so, please ask for help.

WeConnect. Why. It was convinced my vehicle was in Exeter for weeks, even when I could see it outside my house in Birmingham. The good news is that it no longer connects to the vehicle so I don’t have that frustration anymore.

Also the CarPlay seems a bit hit and miss, like it sometimes doesn’t recognise my phone at all.

So the only two things I “hate” are mobile phone related, which probably puts the rest of the vehicle in a good place!

I hate the seats, not supportive enough in the right places for me.
Hopefully in 7 years they will have made a seat that can be positioned in 12 different ways.
VW have had long enough to design a seat for someone who needs a supportive seat.
Or maybe just grab the design from a RR or a Volvo.

The worst thing we have found is the endless warranty claims and poor backup from our local VW dealer in NZ. Hand over was a joke and if we had followed their handover instructions we would have damaged many things.

Our van is only 6 months old and so far the warranty claim list is;
  • Missing shelf clips on delivery - had to wait months to use one cupboard
  • Wrong tow bar electrics fitted on delivery could not reverse with a trailer on!
  • Rear cupboard over rear seat would randomly open when driving - complete unit replaced
  • Pop top fabric coming apart in top right hard corner where it meets the roof - waiting for VW to respond
  • Rear water leaking in the tail gate - (not high brake light) Drips on you in bed! - waiting for VW to respond
  • Awing broke after 2nd use
  • Cupboard catch snapped after a few weeks
  • One of the wheels under lower bed fell off - waiting for VW to respond
  • The handle for the moving the bed will not clip back in.
Having had many VW camper vans from the 60's to this one, this is the first California and I think VW should stick to building vehicles not the camping interior. As nice as it is there seems to be so many small problems that VW have not been solved over the years. VW seem to wait for us to complain and then sort these known problems out begrudgingly.

On the plus side it is a lovely van to drive and when working great to camp in... Just wish it would stop breaking!

The water leaking on your lower bed from tailgate. It’s the rear window seal.
Ask the dealer to remove the rear window and clean the painted metal work up. And install a new rubber seal, as they can’t use the old one.
Make sure you explain the following.
I expect a new seal, Do Not use black sealant to mask the poorly fitting factory window seal.
When receiving your Buzz back, check they haven’t just used black silicon sealant to “reseal” the window.
And if they have, ask them to do it again.
Also check the upper inside plastic trim. If it shows signs of poor installation, ie: white plastic stretching around where the clips fit into the bodywork. Ask them to replace it.

I had the same issue with the sliding bench seat.
The handle will lock into place after using it for 6 months, I had to sit my backside on the seat and wiggle it forwards and backwards for the seat to locate, and the handle would click into place.

@Joe75 and @Californication69
My serious tailgate leak was from the tailgate seal not the window seal. In heavy rain water was dripping down the inside of the tailgate. Seal replaced under warranty.

The water leaking on your lower bed from tailgate. It’s the rear window seal.
Ask the dealer to remove the rear window and clean the painted metal work up. And install a new rubber seal, as they can’t use the old one.
Make sure you explain the following.
I expect a new seal, Do Not use black sealant to mask the poorly fitting factory window seal.
When receiving your Buzz back, check they haven’t just used black silicon sealant to “reseal” the window.
And if they have, ask them to do it again.
Also check the upper inside plastic trim. If it shows signs of poor installation, ie: white plastic stretching around where the clips fit into the bodywork. Ask them to replace it.

I had the same issue with the sliding bench seat.
The handle will lock into place after using it for 6 months, I had to sit my backside on the seat and wiggle it forwards and backwards for the seat to locate, and the handle would click into place.
I had a look at the rear window seal and are not 100% if it is that seal or the rear tail gate seal? Either way, along with all the other problems we have it is not great for a 6 month old van!

Thanks for the advice.

I had a look at the rear window seal and are not 100% if it is that seal or the rear tail gate seal? Either way, along with all the other problems we have it is not great for a 6 month old van!

Thanks for the advice.
Did VW sort this out Joe?

Did VW sort this out Joe?
I think so? Been winter here in NZ so not much camping. After lots pushing VW reluctantly replaced the rear tailgate seal. I spoke with tech (not sales people) and he told me the seal had been fitted wrong from factory.

Time will tell!

I think so? Been winter here in NZ so not much camping. After lots pushing VW reluctantly replaced the rear tailgate seal. I spoke with tech (not sales people) and he told me the seal had been fitted wrong from factory.

Time will tell!
Infuriating the quality control wasn’t there to pick it up!

Infuriating the quality control wasn’t there to pick it up!
There seems to be very little quality control from either the factory or dealer with our 2020 model. I have never owned another vehicle with so many problems from new. Nearly of which are just poor workmanship and a 'don't care ' attitude from the VW dealer. It is a bit of a joke in our house; what will break or fall off next...

All in all I would be reluctant to buy one again after all the problems we have had and the terrible aftercare care service from the dealer.

Last weekend I went around and sprayed some of this on everything that is supposed to slide. I noted that there are a lot of things that slide in the Cali, the table slides out, the sliding windows, the window blinds, the cupboard doors, the hatch through to the top! So I applied dry PTFE spray to them and it made such a difference! Don’t use original WD40 which will attract dust, this special dry PTFE spray is about £5 in screwfix. View attachment 79871
Don’t use use on get it on any rubber seals as it will shorten its life significantly and cost to replace door or window seals is expensive. It not the PTFE that’s the problem it’s the carrier solvent. Agree great on sliding plastic door rails.

Don’t use use on get it on any rubber seals as it will shorten its life significantly and cost to replace door or window seals is expensive. It not the PTFE that’s the problem it’s the carrier solvent. Agree great on sliding plastic door rails.
What's the best all rounder (plastic and rubber) @Blue Yonder ?

Back