Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What I Hate About My T6.1 Ocean

wilburthewombat

wilburthewombat

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Thought I'd start a thread with a provocative title. Actually, there's not very much at all that I hate, but there are a couple of very annoying things.
  • The Discover SatNav. It's pants, as I mentioned elsewhere. I'd rather have a hole in the dash to hold my Big Mac and Fries while driving.
  • Those damned sliding windows in the rear. Difficult to reach even for those in the back when they are belted up. Impossible to reach for someone with mild physical disabilities from the front. As I am normally on the own, with my dog in the back, if I want to open/close/adjust them, I need to: stop, get out, open the sliding door, get in the back, close the sliding door, adjust the window, open the sliding door, get out, close the sliding door, get back in the front. And even if I am in the right place, I need two hands to release the catch and pull the window inwards before it will move. By this time I need a rest and a cup of tea. Lucky the gas hob works so well. Plus point to those windows is that the dog loves sticking his nose out when on the move.

Thought I'd start a thread with a provocative title. Actually, there's not very much at all that I hate, but there are a couple of very annoying things.
  • The Discover SatNav. It's pants, as I mentioned elsewhere. I'd rather have a hole in the dash to hold my Big Mac and Fries while driving.
  • Those damned sliding windows in the rear. Difficult to reach even for those in the back when they are belted up. Impossible to reach for someone with mild physical disabilities from the front. As I am normally on the own, with my dog in the back, if I want to open/close/adjust them, I need to: stop, get out, open the sliding door, get in the back, close the sliding door, adjust the window, open the sliding door, get out, close the sliding door, get back in the front. And even if I am in the right place, I need two hands to release the catch and pull the window inwards before it will move. By this time I need a rest and a cup of tea. Lucky the gas hob works so well. Plus point to those windows is that the dog loves sticking his nose out when on the move.
Agree that the Sat nav is junk. Android Auto is fabulous though. No doubt Apple Car thingy is similarly good.

I find the sat nav fine - it seems to show a logical route, accurate arrival time & correct traffic info. The display when shown on both screens is excellent, I use centre big screen zoomed out to show the next 20 miles or so & the instrument cluster display zoomed in to show the next 1/2 mile at the same time if needed. What more do you want from a sat nav? If you use car play you've got other mapping options whilst still showing them on the big screen.

Rear windows, I agree with Roger, isn't that what the rear aircon is for?

The only thing I find annoying is the variability of whether the boot will stay open or not with 2 bikes on the rack. Sometimes it stays, sometimes it doesn't. A mechanical lock on one of the struts would make me feel a lot more comfortable when standing under it.

My sat nav was taking me on farmers lanes to get from home to the A90. Now I’ve driven it a few times it has learnt not to. But it was enough for me to know never to trust it when towing. Which is fine for most situations as I always plan and google my routes for new places. Where I fear it will leave me unstuck is if there is an accident or unexpected road closure and I need to follow a diversion.

Last weekend I went around and sprayed some of this on everything that is supposed to slide. I noted that there are a lot of things that slide in the Cali, the table slides out, the sliding windows, the window blinds, the cupboard doors, the hatch through to the top! So I applied dry PTFE spray to them and it made such a difference! Don’t use original WD40 which will attract dust, this special dry PTFE spray is about £5 in screwfix. A82D2525-C596-4E71-833D-6634021E0A47.jpeg

I’m another that has a Sat Nav that does exactly what it should.
offers three routes which are logical, it accurately predicts the arrival time, it shows traffic congestion etc.

those with issues, I wonder if the settings need changing ?

I also wonder if it's in the "colouring in".

Let's be honest, once you've seen Google Maps, Waze or ABRP your eyes have seen what cannot be unseen.

Anything else just looks poor in comparison.

I think a lot of people will probably just discount the VW sat-nav system just because it looks dated in comparison.

It's not "crap" - it just doesn't look as smart.

Last edited:
I'm always amazed with Waze when it tells me about a vehicle on the hard shoulder.

Last weekend I went around and sprayed some of this on everything that is supposed to slide. I noted that there are a lot of things that slide in the Cali, the table slides out, the sliding windows, the window blinds, the cupboard doors, the hatch through to the top! So I applied dry PTFE spray to them and it made such a difference! Don’t use original WD40 which will attract dust, this special dry PTFE spray is about £5 in screwfix. View attachment 79871
Ditto for that. Recuperating after a Munro a couple of weeks ago I had planned some maintenance with earbuds and WD40 - every groove cleared out, the cupboards and windows now open and close like a dream again, possibly better. Whilst doing it I also found I wasn’t actually pushing the windows in the right direction to actually close them (only for the first 4½ years mind). Is the ‘dry’ WD-40 similar to the GT85 bike spray? Sounds like it could be

I'm always amazed with Waze when it tells me about a vehicle on the hard shoulder.

That’s because it’s updated by the community so you get up to date locations for things like police speed traps etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offers three routes which are logical, it accurately predicts the arrival time, it shows traffic congestion etc.

I can assure you I have searched and searched and searched for how to change the settings... if you have a T6.1 and can help, please let me know.

I can assure you I have searched and searched and searched for how to change the settings... if you have a T6.1 and can help, please let me know.
Does it give you 3 options, ie., fastest time, shortest distance, most scenic? If not you may be set on shortest distance, which can lead to some very unusual places.

Does it give you 3 options, ie., fastest time, shortest distance, most scenic? If not you may be set on shortest distance, which can lead to some very unusual places.
Yes I get three options. But it’s not always clear what they are. But in any case, none of the options should be taking me on farm tracks that are not public roads!

Yes I get three options. But it’s not always clear what they are. But in any case, none of the options should be taking me on farm tracks that are not public roads!
I agree, but selecting shortest distance has led me to some very rural tracks that I have had to back out of because of narrow space between farm buildings or in small mountain villages in the Pyrenees! On mine fastest time route is red and has a small clock face on the on screen button, but that may have changed since.

Waze for France, Google Maps for Spain. And a run of Sikaflex to seal those windows up because they will leak eventually;)

Agree that the Sat nav is junk. Android Auto is fabulous though. No doubt Apple Car thingy is similarly good.
That is the best thing about satnav, you can choose whatever you want, what works best in any situation. I found a demo of T6.1 on youtube where the satnav uses google maps with satelite view: as if a drone hangs above the vehicle : nice to find a camping spot.

Probably need to read the Handbook. ;)

Probably need to read the Handbook. ;)
Have read the handbook several times and there is nothing in the T6.1 that describes what the three options are for suggested routes. Also nothing about changing settings.
On the system itself I have been through the settings and nothing there that helps solve the issues I have experienced (random destinations appearing in favourites and non-public / unsuitable roads).

I also wonder if it's in the "colouring in".

Let's be honest, once you've seen Google Maps, Waze or ABRP your eyes have seen what cannot be unseen.

Anything else just looks poor in comparison.

I think a lot of people will probably just discount the VW sat-nav system just because it looks dated in comparison.

It's not "crap" - it just doesn't look as smart.
Agree. Every built-in satnav I've had in a car/van has been inferior to Google Maps (apart from the large screen and that's solvable if you have Android Carplay/Apple thingy or whatever).

If I'm going somewhere I'm very likely to have checked out the route and timings on Google at my desk before I set off - so then when I get into the car/van etc my phone already knows where I'm likely to be going as soon as I hit the search box.

Once on the road the traffic intel built into Google Maps is going to trump any car-specific installation that I've seen and in my last car (an Audi) I just stopped using the built-in one altogether.

Agree. Every built-in satnav I've had in a car/van has been inferior to Google Maps (apart from the large screen and that's solvable if you have Android Carplay/Apple thingy or whatever).

If I'm going somewhere I'm very likely to have checked out the route and timings on Google at my desk before I set off - so then when I get into the car/van etc my phone already knows where I'm likely to be going as soon as I hit the search box.

Once on the road the traffic intel built into Google Maps is going to trump any car-specific installation that I've seen and in my last car (an Audi) I just stopped using the built-in one altogether.
If you use Google Maps does it display as well on the digital dashboard?

If you use Google Maps does it display as well on the digital dashboard?
I don't have a digital dashboard in my Cali so I can't say. However it works well on the screen on my Toyota using Android Auto. (Although TBH even then I don't usually bother, I find the phone screen fine for basic navigation.)

It's coming. Android Automotive is a game changer and when manufacturers embrace this technology it'll transform navigation and car control.

Polestar have done this and it gives you a feel for what is possible when this technology is integrated in to the car and not a bolt on optional extra.

Back