Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Non-swivelling seats?

T

thetallguy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are just about to push the go button on the purchase of a new T6 Ocean but there is one outstanding niggle (notwithstanding the colossal cost, obviously!)

The issue is my height (6’5”/196cm) which results in my head hitting the sliding cover above the front seats when driving, and also the surround. I sat in the Ocean in the Exeter showroom again yesterday and this confirmed that it’s simply not a sustainable option, no matter how I have the seat adjusted.

The online configurator gives the option of a height adjustable driver’s seat while retaining a swivelling passenger seat, however, Steve at the Exeter showroom didn’t think this was actually a possibility when it comes to them placing the order with VW.

His suggestion was to order the van with height adjustable (non-swivelling) seats and then get an aftermarket swivel fitted to the passenger seat. The RIB swivel adds 23mm height to the seat, but I reckon the height adjustment allows the seat to drop 20mm below that of a swivel seat, so no big deal, other than cost.

So I have two questions:

1) Do any of you kind forum folk have an Ocean (preferably T6) with the factory fitted height adjustable seats, somewhere in the West Country (we’re in Exmouth but happy to travel to get this right)? If you do, would you have any objection to me spending five minutes sitting in it to check it’s actually a realistic proposition?

2) Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket swivels, both in terms of fitting and operation?

3) Has anyone actually managed to order one height adjustable and one swivel seat? Steve is going to check with the factory in Hanover but this may take a bit of time!

As ever, your collective help is much appreciated!

Tom

One height adjustable and the other standard seat is possible to order ...a dealer should know this .

The RIB swivel adds 23mm height to the seat, but I reckon the height adjustment allows the seat to drop 20mm below that of a swivel seat, so no big deal, other than cost.
This seems to suggest your head will be 3mm CLOSER to the roof, rather than further away.

I’m 6’4” and have a bit of clearance. My van is 7 years old so maybe the seat has ‘given’ over the years?

This seems to suggest your head will be 3mm CLOSER to the roof, rather than further away.
Yes, correct, but this would only be for the passenger seat, not the driver’s seat which I would keep as a non-swivel. When my 5’0” wife was driving, I’d simply sit in the back and put one of the kids in the spare front seat!

I confirm that you can have one height-adjustable and one fixed-height swivel seat. I've had that combo in my 2015 Beach and now have it in my 2018 Coast.

I confirm that you can have one height-adjustable and one fixed-height swivel seat. I've had that combo in my 2015 Beach and now have it in my 2018 Coast.
Very useful information - thank you! How do the two seat heights compare (passenger vs driver) with the height set to lowest?

I had a massive discussion about this when I nearly bought a Beach with the comfort seats. I was very suspicious of the aftermarket swivel idea and I didn't buy the vehicle.

However, time passed and I did buy a T6 panel van and now have the Kiravans double swivel, which is fine. So I think, so long as your swivel is TUV tested, I'd be ok with aftermarket.

Check the height carefully though, my husbands head is very close to the headlining and he's 6ft. The bench seat isn't adjustable tho and is different to the captain's seat.

"The issue is my height (6’5”/196cm) which results in my head hitting the sliding cover above the front seats when driving"
cheapest solution : let the cover open while driving ?! Maybe not the most elegant solution but for sure, the easiest and most economic.

If you are 6'5" are you sure a California is for you? I am 6'2" and have to sleep corner to corner in the upstairs bed

If you are 6'5" are you sure a California is for you? I am 6'2" and have to sleep corner to corner in the upstairs bed
I found the upstairs bed to be very comfortable and given my wife's petite stature, diagonal shouldn't be an issue! The Cali ticks every other box though: it's a compact footprint, contains all the necessary creature comforts, and will double up as a mobile office for me on a day-to-day basis around the lanes of Devon.

Yes, correct, but this would only be for the passenger seat, not the driver’s seat which I would keep as a non-swivel. When my 5’0” wife was driving, I’d simply sit in the back and put one of the kids in the spare front seat!
Ah, good point!
Do be aware that each of us have different favourites if only swivelling one front chair. In a RHD Cali, swivelling the drivers is more comfortable but more grief with the hand break and steering wheel in the way.
Your scenario would be an easy swivel but the angle of rotation is limited by the kitchen.

Very useful information - thank you! How do the two seat heights compare (passenger vs driver) with the height set to lowest?
Can't tell you. We only use it to make the seat higher, in view of my wife's height.

Presumably the height adjustable seat in a Caravelle would be the same as a height adjustable seat in a Cali. When we first went for a test drive, they only had a Caravelle demo available to drive and that had height adjustable seats. We had to measure the height of the Cali seat in their showroom and set the velle to the same height for Mrs Mccp to test.

Phone around a few dealers and try one out.

Most after market seat swivels will raise your seat height by up to 30-40mm and the seat needs to be raised before you can swivel it on the aftermarket ones

I'm 6'6" and haven't had any problem with any Cali I've sat in or driven on the standard swivel seats. You must be really long in the body!!

I'm 6'6" and haven't had any problem with any Cali I've sat in or driven on the standard swivel seats. You must be really long in the body!!

Maybe the o/p has big hair.
Would a haircut help the situation :D

Would it help if you had a non swivelling drivers seat? We have had our T5 for coming up to 6 years now (gulp, that long!) and increasingly on site we turn only the passenger seat. Reasons, a) it is a bit of a faph to turn, b) we can get to storage under the dash easier when parked, c) with only 2 of us it works for seating, d) we are getting a bit lazy
Probably c) is the main reason.
Just a thought.

Presumably the height adjustable seat in a Caravelle would be the same as a height adjustable seat in a Cali. When we first went for a test drive, they only had a Caravelle demo available to drive and that had height adjustable seats. We had to measure the height of the Cali seat in their showroom and set the velle to the same height for Mrs Mccp to test.

Phone around a few dealers and try one out.

That doesn't account for the headlining / roof hatch etc being different between a cali & caravelle, it could be that the headlining is lower in a cali.

Would it help if you had a non swivelling drivers seat? We have had our T5 for coming up to 6 years now (gulp, that long!) and increasingly on site we turn only the passenger seat. Reasons, a) it is a bit of a faph to turn, b) we can get to storage under the dash easier when parked, c) with only 2 of us it works for seating, d) we are getting a bit lazy
Probably c) is the main reason.
Just a thought.

David, interesting to hear of your experience with only spinning the passenger seat. That is exactly the outcome we’re striving for: a rotating passenger seat and a height adjustable (non-swivelling) driver’s seat.

Fingers crossed the factory will confirm that they are able to supply this from the factory as per Romke and Hotel California’s comments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That doesn't account for the headlining / roof hatch etc being different between a cali & caravelle, it could be that the headlining is lower in a cali.
Good point, but at least you would be able to find out how low the seat could go and compare with a Cali rotating seat.

3) Has anyone actually managed to order one height adjustable and one swivel seat? Steve is going to check with the factory in Hanover but this may take a bit of time!

Tom - the answer is YES! I ordered a T6 Beach in Sept 2017 (arrived in early Dec 2017) with a swivelling passenger seat and a non-swivelling but height adjustable drivers seat. It works for me (I'm 6' 2").

The head height was never a problem for me (there's 2 to 3 inches or so above my head before the roof hatch cover). The reason I ordered a height adjustable seat was I wanted to make the seat as low as possible so I was as low as possible in relation to the steering wheels and pedals. To make it feel more car like, rather than bus like to drive.

As it turns out (after some faffing with a spirit level), I have discovered that the swivelling passenger seat is only 1 to 1.5cm higher than the drivers seat (with the drivers seat on its lowest setting). However, this actually makes all the difference to how it feels to drive. I got in the passenger seat the other day and it felt too high somehow.

The next thing to consider is whether there's enough headroom for you. With the seat adjusted to its lowest setting, I reckon there's two to three inches above my head before the roof hatch cover, depending on how reclined the drivers seat is.

In summary:
1. you can definitely order a non swivelling drivers seat with height adjust, and a swivelling passenger seat
2. the height adjust drivers seat is mainly about making it higher rather than lower vs the swivelling passenger seat
3. A height adjust seat is only 1 to 1.5cm lower than a swivelling seat

I was pondering an aftermarket swivel for my drivers seat, but it would be a bit pointless as the benefit of being a bit lower to the pedals etc would be lost. It would benefit the versatility of the van though, as a fixed drivers seat is a bit of a compromise in how the inside space gets used. However, my Cali is a Beach with a 3 seat bench, so I get 4 interior facing seats (3 bench plus front passenger) even with the drivers seat not rotated. This would be more of a compromise on an Ocean I think.

I'm in Farnham, Surrey, so not that close, but you are welcome to drop in if you are in this neck or the woods, or to pm me with more questions if you want.

By the way, on the configurator, I had to specify:
  • Comfort seat: Driver seat with lumbar support (not swivelling)
Which then asks you to select from some other options. I then picked:
  • Height adjustment for driver seat in (manual)
I believe this was all no additional cost.