Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North Norway / Finland Proposed meet up September 2021

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello everyone,
In 2018 I made a trip, mostly with two other VW Calis, to Norway and Finland. My hobby is photograhing the Northern Lights it was my 8th trip and we saw some fabulous lights.
Im doing the same trip again next year at what is regarded to be the best time to see lights, thats the September equinox.
This time I won't be trying to organise accommodation for everyone but im very happy to meet up at a couple of preselected places where you can sort your own accommodation and we can if you like go to some good spots I know to take pictures. If you aren't sure about how to take pictures of the lights im happy to help with that too.
Later I will make a list of places and dates if anyone would like to join please feel free to indicate your interest andvwe can form a group I guess and possibly make one of the dates a formal VW meeting.
44A3C40B-33BF-45B3-A497-9C907A317A01.jpeg60C1919A-50E2-4CE8-990B-CFAECF9D7B7D.jpeg380D3C64-41F9-4DB4-B3E5-49EBD7CD1344.jpeg3014C292-F143-4836-86BD-9076AFF711BD.jpeg

13FF8370-C8D8-4FB2-B32E-641ADAF07FBE.jpeg

A116BFF5-3D1C-4769-A321-EB1719B891F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Liking that :bananadance2

Thank you @Niborn . On board with this. I remember the trip that you organised last time around. Could not make it then as we did not have our Cali then :) . Will work to make it Sep 2021.

Equinox in 2021 is Wednesday, 22 September - so I suspect we should plan the weeks around that. An indication of rough dates will be very helpful.

Ooh, that could be exciting, with an Eriba (sorry guys) and my best friend just retiring, and I could visit my friends in Stavanger and Copenhagen etc en route... definitely worth thinking about...

We planned to go there this year, had ferry reservations an everything, but due to Covid-restrictions by FI and NO we had to reschedule our ferries to 2021, so who knows!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sounds great. Was looking for something to coincide with my 50th

I’m not sure I could get time off at those dates, but would love to join such a trip. Out of curiosity, would it be safe to drive those roads with a 2WD cali? Also, I presume it’s possible to sleep in the Cali (temperatures not extreme at that time)

So any basic itinerary/route etc?

Really interested in this as an idea. I do have a slight fear........I don't have 4WD so hoping that is not a prerequisite for coming along.

Are studded tyres required at that time of year?
[/QUOTE
From my experience there is no need to have studded tyres at that time of year . The last trip we made we hardly saw any snow or ice , just a little at the highest points on the coldest days . However I would definitely have on good all season tyres, with the full winter tyre approvals , such as Michelin Cross Climates , or Goodyear Vector , or winter tyres . These will cope with what one will encounter in September and early October.
If you stay on past October especially inland , or Finland , where it is much colder, say -35C , you could consider studded tyres .
During the actual Winter months 90% or more of people in Northern Norway Use studded tyres . On thick ice roads there is nothing better .
Here is a reference to https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topic...ications/veg/tyres-and-snow-chains/id2343739/

Interested, fantastic photos. Did you sleep in the van at those spots?

Certainly don’t need a 4WD , just good tyres , all seasons are good enough if they have 3 peak symbol
That’s resssuring as I have GY Vectors.

So any basic itinerary/route etc?
The experience from the last trip was that people liked to do their own thing at least as much as they liked to join up. Travelling such a long distance in a convoy and agreeing on places to stay , or see, preferred routes , when to stop to eat , etc etc was at times difficult.
There are a few classic general directions with some known good places to stop , Later I’ll make a list of what we learned last time and the likely dates at key stopping places . Depending on how many actually make this trip it may be a case of bumping into others on route and all meeting for a big meet up once or twice . I think the fun of a trip like this is its flexibility .

My trip will be something like this, TBC 6 to 8 weeks long in total probably.

France
Holland Stop 2 or 3 days
Germany
Denmark Boat to Norway Stop 1 day at port .
South Norway stop on route as needed 2 or 3 days through to Stavanger and or Bergen Stop 2 or 3 days
West Coast of Norway to Lofoten Stopping on route 3 or 4 days Then in Lofoten Stop 3 days
To Tromso 2 days
To Alta on route 2 days
Alta plus around 3 or 4 days
To North Cape On route 2 days in North Cape 1 or 2 days
To Finland on route 2 days
Around Ivalo 5 or 7 days
North Sweden 2 to 4 days
South Sweden 3 days
Germany 1 day
Holland 2 days
Belgium
France 1 Day

For me a great group meet up place would be Alta , it’s one of the driest costal town or city in country , great place for lights . There are good shops and things to see locally and there was a good large flat campsite .

Thank you @Niborn . On board with this. I remember the trip that you organised last time around. Could not make it then as we did not have our Cali then :) . Will work to make it Sep 2021.

Equinox in 2021 is Wednesday, 22 September - so I suspect we should plan the weeks around that. An indication of rough dates will be very helpful.
Best to be well past the Arctic Circle by the 22nd September ...

Back