Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

North Norway / Finland Proposed meet up September 2021

We have dates for our trip now, that do not coincide with the plans here..:Iamsorry.

We travel from half Aug to half Sept. We plan to take the ferry from Travemünde to Helsinki, drive up North along the Finnish/Russian border (perhaps visit family there), tour Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian Lapponia, visit family in Northern Norway and then drive down to Bergen, to take the ferry back to Denmark from there.

If Covid allows, of course... :Nailbiting

We have put/are putting together an inspiration map as wel:

View attachment 67817
Awesome ... and as always we will eagerly wait for the videos and photos. :thumb

This looks very tempting and I should be retired so time shouldnt be an issue..

Would definately be interested! With the amount of numbers here we could probably charter our own boat straight there from the UK!
Well, I’m sure if the groups big enough we’d be made most welcome by many organisations, especially if the tourist business is not doing well.

Monorail sounds interesting for one way....will be interested to hear more of this.

should I need to take portapotti, etc (as yet never used)....or will I likely be able to stay on sites for the duration?
I’d take the potty ...however in the far North a hole in the ground is a good place too.

Are studded tyres required at that time of year?
No, not in Sweden. I doubt in Norway and Finland at that time. It is however wise to have winter tiers and in other ways be prepared for winter driving.

No, not in Sweden. I doubt in Norway and Finland at that time. It is however wise to have winter tiers and in other ways be prepared for winter driving.
I think good snow capable 4 seasons are fine , if fully approved.

It’s a fab trip from where you are , soooo lucky ..
Yes it is! We have been to some of the places in Sweden and Norway and such a trip can be made again and again. The time is perfect not only for the northern lights, the landscape is most beautiful in its splendor in autumn. One thing to keep in mind is that the road to Stekenjokk is closed between 16 October and 6 June.

Message on the Finland Railways site - https://www.vr.fi/en/night-trains
Why a way to travel. Would love to hear more about Californias on trains. Used to be able to get to Cornwall on Motorail from Paddington I understand. And we used to take the car over to France on the hovercraft when I was a kid, then on the train to Nice. Didn’t know they still existed.
"We have published new timetables; you can now start planning your night train trips until October 2021." ... so tickets for Sept 2021 can be booked :thumb

Why a way to travel. Would love to hear more about Californias on trains. Used to be able to get to Cornwall on Motorail from Paddington I understand. And we used to take the car over to France on the hovercraft when I was a kid, then on the train to Nice. Didn’t know they still existed.

Wow! That would've been good fun :) Motorail between Cornwall and Paddington!

Slightly outdated info on European motorails here - https://www.seat61.com/motorail-trains.htm .. but yeah, they still run.

All of the French motorails, including the one to Nice have been stopped since 2019.

The Cali being under 2m, I think qualifies for the car trains.

I quite like the idea of travelling by train so looked at the web site of https://www.vr.fi/en/night-trains
A weekday return trip is about €500/€550 for two with a two person cabin and a car (Helsinki to Kolari). I post below a caution from the car dimensions/weight detail - some trains have a max top roof width of 1.7m and a weight limit of 2,500 kgs. There is also a max allowable track dimension of 2m. That's a tad tight I think. The web site is unable to process dates past 30th Sept 2021 at the moment but I am sure they will be available later.
1605560846053.png

For me , there is too much to see and experience on the drive up there to take the train ....but It’s a nice idea ? One way ?

For me , there is too much to see and experience on the drive up there to take the train ....but It’s a nice idea ? One way ?
Agree. Norway will need more time and there is so much to see. the way I would like to see Norway, it will need at least three trips - just because, as working profrssionals, there will be constraints around time. That will be about 2 to 3 weeks per trip. The train is a quick option to get up north. Currently the plan is for return as well, provided the train can take a Cali.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was only looking and sharing because I already know that I'm going to be short of time next year so it was an option. I also looked at Lubeck (Hamburg) to Hanko (East of Helsinki) ferry to save the trip through the Baltic States and that was nearly £2k return for two folks. I think I am going to have to free up some time back end of next year to have any chance of making the trip.......Plan "B"...........

For anyone considering the Finnlines ferry from Lübeck/Travemünde (Hamburg area) to Helsinki who is ready to commit:

Finnlines do their best promotion rates every year on Black Friday (this coming Friday the 27th). In past years this meant 50% off their full fares. Do join their free Star Club loyalty program beforehand. That will get you an additional 3% discount, as well as the flexibility to shift your departure date by up to 12 months if travel plans should change.
Ferry price for two in an inside cabin should then be about £ 550 return (plus food), depending on exact dates of travel.

Me personally, if I was going again I would prefer to take the ferry + train one way, and drive the other way. This maximises the 'adventure' and leaves more time to see places while on the driving leg of the trip.

I quite like the idea of travelling by train so looked at the web site of https://www.vr.fi/en/night-trains
A weekday return trip is about €500/€550 for two with a two person cabin and a car (Helsinki to Kolari). I post below a caution from the car dimensions/weight detail - some trains have a max top roof width of 1.7m and a weight limit of 2,500 kgs. There is also a max allowable track dimension of 2m. That's a tad tight I think. The web site is unable to process dates past 30th Sept 2021 at the moment but I am sure they will be available later.
View attachment 69471

The 2500 kg weight limit is for their older open ('partially covered', meaning an open top deck) car-carrier wagons. The roof width limit refers to the newer completely covered car-carrier wagons, which can take 3000 kg of weight. Details are in the relevant section of https://www.vr.fi/en/terms-and-conditions .

In these newer completely covered wagons the Cali is a perfect fit: judge for yourself in my photo in post #67 further up in this thread. I did not have a fixed awning then, but that would have fit as well I think. The important difference here between a Cali and the mentioned Transporter is that we can exit via the sliding door. The top of our roof is also a bit narrower.

When I was travelling to Rovaniemi the train consisted of only the completely covered wagons. Their customer care team speak perfect English and will be able to advise. Subscribing to their newsletter will give you a heads up once the trains become available for booking. Spaces do fill up I believe.

Last edited:
I have just picked up on this thread. It looks a great trip and one we would like to do. Is anyone coordinating the trip overall or do we all need to work out our specific routes and ferries etc?

Back