Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2016/17

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This thread is for advice and info exchange for anyone thinking about taking their Cali to Norway in 2016 or 2017... which I certainly am!

HI will be great to contribute to this thread, our experiences in Norway. We are hitting the road/Boat mid July to Holland. All the Best Rich and family

Hi, having retired I can travel when I like. Last year I travelled mid May to mid June. There was still snow around, not on the roads, all the campsites were open and the weather was variable but little rain. Used the heater at night as it dropped to 2 or 3c but didn't freeze. Highs of 10 to 15c. Like Scotland there can be lots of midges, but not at that time of the year.
I didn't book any sites. On the SatNav I have the ASCI campsites and Archies European campsites. So I drove until about 3 pm then asked Sally SatNav to find a local campsite. If you get above the Arctic Circle then no darkness at all.

Norway gets really thin in the North...... This means popping into Sweden to refuel and reprovision makes lots of sense as much cheaper.... Also the roads are better and straighter, but the scenery is mostly trees!

Planning to go all the way to Nordkapp June/July 2017 with a family of four and two collies (one due to be born sometime this week).

Norway gets really thin in the North...... This means popping into Sweden to refuel and reprovision makes lots of sense as much cheaper.... Also the roads are better and straighter, but the scenery is mostly trees!
Or no trees at all!

So many coaches and motorhomes...
Motorhomes can stay overnight, that is in the admission price, about 240 NK. The Centre Toilet facilities are open 24/7 but the Bar, Coffee Shop, Shop and Restaurant are only open 11am to 1am. There are NO external water taps or electrical hook-ups. Lots of coaches arrive in the evening to see the Midnight Sun and leave about 12.30am.
The Centre is very informative, not glitzy or tacky. Definitely NOT like Lands End.

The further North the more fish, less need to reprovision. ;)
We rarely bought food last summer. This year taking a freezer with us :)
Plan to go early July to Nordkapp.

If you aren't for Norway just to visit cliche places in 2 weeks for "I've been there", I highly recommend to turn from the tourist roads. Lots of places are more beautiful then hyped tourist ones with almost no people around to enjoy the nature.
We were there for 16 days 1st time, 22 days 2nd time and only now plan to get to a Nordkapp reserving over a month time. Want to hike to the most north part because Nordkapp isn't :D
Really hope can do a second autumn run this year just for Lofotens.

If you want to visit nordkapp but don't want to drive this large distance twice, an option can be to take the ferry travemunde -> helsinki, then put the cali on the night train to lapland. Takes a couple of days in total but much less driving.
We might do this in summer 2017.
A route like this http://www.noordeuropa.nl/reizen/finland/noorwegen/noordkaap-lofoten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/
(sorry in dutch - google translate link https://translate.google.com/transl...ten-en-lapland-eigen-auto/&edit-text=&act=url )

Yep that the slow one that has under 2meters category.
Fast one fjordline has 1995mm max. Any cali drivers took that ferry?

More useful info on the tolls. You can register online at https://turistportalen.csautopass.no/english#
Enter your credit card. 1nok is charged on contract creation. Then after the 1st toll gate you get a 300nok charge to the balance and next 300 if it is used up.
When you leave country you get remaining balance back on card during 3-4 months.
Tested the system and it works fine. Though you can avoid majority of toll roads in Norway.

This system is optional and you can get the toll charges by post at your home address automatically. Tough there might be some extra charges involved.

Stop it! Stop it! Wish I'd never started this thread, it's like torture... I want to get to northern Scandinavia in Velma! But you have to drive (okay,or train) through so much Europe to get there from the UK. :headbang :headbang

Hoping this initiative to re-start a UK-Norway ferry service gets somewhere:
http://www.startauktonorwayferry.com/solution/

And depending what happens in the Brexit referendum this Thursday, we might need to cosy up more closely to our 'half-in/half-out' Norwegian buddies...;)

We are going for five weeks, setting off early July.
HC has given us lots of very useful info from his triplast year.
We have been to Nordkapp in the winter (probably better as hardly anyone there and got sun/snow/ice all in about two hours) so shan't bother but will walk to the true northern point Knivskjellodden like Spook.
upload_2016-6-21_12-40-41.png

Yep that the slow one that has under 2meters category.
Fast one fjordline has 1995mm max. Any cali drivers took that ferry?

More useful info on the tolls. You can register online at https://turistportalen.csautopass.no/english#
Enter your credit card. 1nok is charged on contract creation. Then after the 1st toll gate you get a 300nok charge to the balance and next 300 if it is used up.
When you leave country you get remaining balance back on card during 3-4 months.
Tested the system and it works fine. Though you can avoid majority of toll roads in Norway.

This system is optional and you can get the toll charges by post at your home address automatically. Tough there might be some extra charges involved.

No need to register , still waiting on the bill , guess they haven't got acces to Belgian licence plates...:D
Heard from other the also did not get a bill ....
Just pay cash if it needs to and the rest will come later ....if lucky not