Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Now or Never (or later)

B

Bepto

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Finally have the funds to get a California after selling my Beach in 2019. Looking for an Ocean this time around and have thought about ordering new but the thought of the wait just puts me off.
So...the chance of a new one appears for me but not sure about the price & would like opinions please on a new ocean 150 to be reg in Sept standard colour, options are shower, bed extention & Discover media pro. Included in the price are some sort of paint protection from the dealer, Service plan (2 services) extended 2 year warranty & Reg fee etc. Price is just shy of £76K

Specing the vehicle on DTD (without the service plan/warranty ext & paint protection) comes in at £67K ish & but theres the long wait to consider & I guess a possible price hike from VW in the meantime?

So I guess my options are..
1. Order from DTD & wait
2. Get the new one now
3. Wait 6 months or so to see how the market go's as I still think ALL vans/motorhomes are overpriced at ther moment
4. Forget the whole thing & sit at home watching TV for the rest of my life

Opinions on a postcard please.

If you can afford it, and want to get on and have adventures straight away then go for it.
No one knows what will happen in the future, but Cali/vw ts have gone up year on year since I got into owning one.
First vw transporter was 2009 and first cali was 2013, lost very little on 5 vans and all used loads :thumb

Difficult one @Bepto depends on personal circumstances. Motorhome trade are predicting a 15% price increase next year so if you have the funds and are looking to travel now I would go for it if you find the right Cali at a price you are comfortable with. Prices are mad though we bought a brand new Cali in September 2019 for less than 50k.

We had ours after 6 months instead of 18 as first said.
Icrazy to pay more 2nd hand than new imho. With the amount you save, you can rent a cali to go on adventures.

Price isn’t fixed if you order now. Officially it will be the same discount off the ‘time of delivery’ pricelist, although some good will seems to be getting applied currently.

Difficult one @Bepto depends on personal circumstances. Motorhome trade are predicting a 15% price increase next year so if you have the funds and are looking to travel now I would go for it if you find the right Cali at a price you are comfortable with. Prices are mad though we bought a brand new Cali in September 2019 for less than 50k.
Tell me about it. Sold the 18 plate Beach with £4K of options in 2019 for £44K which was a good price then, probably sell for £55Kish now.

We had ours after 6 months instead of 18 as first said.
Icrazy to pay more 2nd hand than new imho. With the amount you save, you can rent a cali to go on adventures.
The one for £75K is new but I see what you mean.

Bepto if you have the money to buy the 76er and happy to pay, go for it. If not, order new and sit back. We did the latter in June and the build date is 12/9/22 so it appears the wait is dropping. No regrets, you know you want to.

Get the £75k one in September.
You seem to understand the decision, and time is priceless. You know it makes sense.

time is priceless.
This is more significant than we generally keep in mind.

So if it's affordable now I say let the enjoyment begin. I umm'd and ah'd for years and wasted money on other vehicles in the mean time. Wishing I'd done it ages ago isn't quite the same as regret but pretty damn close.
I also received a text today about a popular fella that I believe was younger than I, who didn't make it through a Cardiac arrest at the weekend (Sorry for the morbid drama) but it brings us back to the first point. I'm planning on many more happy healthy years ahead and so was he. Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Watch tv for the rest of your life? Better order a new one and wait; that time you can watch tv…. YouTube that is: there’s a lot to see about californias, trips with them,… and consider what kind of stuff you'll choose for it. This forum can already help you.
But time is precious, waste it wisely. We waited 20 months for our new one but have an old but trusty t4 westy and made our holidays with it. If I had none, I chose the shortest time to have one and go on a journey.

Life is for the living Bepto. With what happened to you in 2020 I suspect you know that all too well.

Option two is the only one worth thinking about.

Now put your hands up, either side of your head, gently press and give your head a wobble. The next five years is the healthiest you’ve got left.

Option two!

Get the new one now! I’ve only been waiting since March but the waiting is awful! Every weekend I’m saying to my wife ‘when we have the van we could be doing…’

Finally have the funds to get a California after selling my Beach in 2019. Looking for an Ocean this time around and have thought about ordering new but the thought of the wait just puts me off.
So...the chance of a new one appears for me but not sure about the price & would like opinions please on a new ocean 150 to be reg in Sept standard colour, options are shower, bed extention & Discover media pro. Included in the price are some sort of paint protection from the dealer, Service plan (2 services) extended 2 year warranty & Reg fee etc. Price is just shy of £76K

Specing the vehicle on DTD (without the service plan/warranty ext & paint protection) comes in at £67K ish & but theres the long wait to consider & I guess a possible price hike from VW in the meantime?

So I guess my options are..
1. Order from DTD & wait
2. Get the new one now
3. Wait 6 months or so to see how the market go's as I still think ALL vans/motorhomes are overpriced at ther moment
4. Forget the whole thing & sit at home watching TV for the rest of my life

Opinions on a postcard please.
What colour is the sept van?

Watch tv for the rest of your life? Better order a new one and wait; that time you can watch tv…. YouTube that is: there’s a lot to see about californias, trips with them,… and consider what kind of stuff you'll choose for it. This forum can already help you.
But time is precious, waste it wisely. We waited 20 months for our new one but have an old but trusty t4 westy and made our holidays with it. If I had none, I chose the shortest time to have one and go on a journey.
Watching youtube is my main pastime lol. I've been living vicariously through numerous channels for months and months.

This is more significant than we generally keep in mind.

So if it's affordable now I say let the enjoyment begin. I umm'd and ah'd for years and wasted money on other vehicles in the mean time. Wishing I'd done it ages ago isn't quite the same as regret but pretty damn close.
I also received a text today about a popular fella that I believe was younger than I, who didn't make it through a Cardiac arrest at the weekend (Sorry for the morbid drama) but it brings us back to the first point. I'm planning on many more happy healthy years ahead and so was he. Good Luck with your decision.
Sorry to hear of your freinds passing. My health isnt getting better any time soon & me hoping I win the premium bonds isnt working too well lol. So I could put that money to better use right now.

Bepto if you have the money to buy the 76er and happy to pay, go for it. If not, order new and sit back. We did the latter in June and the build date is 12/9/22 so it appears the wait is dropping. No regrets, you know you want to.
Did you use DTD? Whats the ordering process like with them, refundable deposit?

Watching youtube is my main pastime lol. I've been living vicariously through numerous channels for months and months.
Don't all of us who are in this interminable holding pattern.

Very very easy. With Eurovans there is a £385 Non-refundable deposit on a bag of sand.

Bepto, got a quote from DTD then Swansway (who could’nt match) and Breeze who did match+ so went with them. In the short time since ordering, they have kept me fully informed, impressed to date. Must be said, DTD were professional, explained the process in layman terms, did’nt get to deposit stage, cannot recall what they said re deposit. Good luck on the adventure

Ascot Grey which I really like. Would prefer Woodstock wheels but hey ho.
Easy to pick up wood stocks wheels loads for sale as think people don’t like they look as rotation is of spokes is reversed.
Set for sale on here.

In just 3 months you have a build date? Sounds encouraging

Popped in to Liverpool for a chat the other day and they have an Ocean in stock at just over 80k I think.

Back