Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Number plates

Would number plates clip in, or is it then necessary to use double sided adhesive tape/pads?
Not sure on fixing.

I've actually ordered the Wurth version off Ebay which looks like it opens up for the plate to be inserted.

Not sure on fixing.

I've actually ordered the Wurth version off Ebay which looks like it opens up for the plate to be inserted.
The eBay seller for these:

has confirmed:

"This are universal. Fit any model, various holes in backing to match up with existing ones. Fits all UK standard size oblong plates. Plates can clip in but for security reasons i advise using pads and/or screws as well."

Last edited:
Not sure on fixing.

Those Wurth plate holders look a great deal !
Just purchased two from eBay !
Can align the plate holder first so it’s level.
Then stick the plate to that. Happy days !

Not sure on fixing.

That what I bought when I installed the German number plates. Anonymous and the bezel separates for easy installation of the actual plate.

it’s so funny. They had 1 job.
And messed it up.
Hope you checked for scratch marks before you took handover.
There are pre drilled holes with screwed inserts behind.
So you’ll have to drill a hole (in the number plate) further down on the right. Then lift that side of the number plate up.
That made me laugh.....we are soooo awful at any quality control in this country. I bought an Audi TT new in 2018...went to collect and number plates were firstly cracked, then not in alignment, then on the third attempt whilst I'm waiting, they had 'split' the black lettering. The was so much commotion going on at the 'unveiling' the branch manager came out and after explaining what was going on, he sat me down at a desk, put his hands in this head and said to me "Mr _ , I cannot believe it...Your beautiful car was made in Hungry without fault.. ...its railed to a German port of exit and there PDI'd and given its final checks...the UK dealer ONLY has to put a number plate on...and we cant even get that right...its embarrassing!' That will stick with me for a long time, especially as the dealer 'front' looked slick and glitzy, but behind that façade reality shone through. I have to say even with my Cali - the only place it has had any damage is by the incompetence of the dealer, and their service doesn't inspire , yet they are obsessed to receive 5 star feedback.

Anyone got pics of the Wurth plate holders in situ?

Those Wurth plate holders look a great deal !
Just purchased two from eBay !
Can align the plate holder first so it’s level.
Then stick the plate to that. Happy days !
I use one on the bike rack & one on my trailer as it's easy to change plates to match the vehicle they are being used behind. Would suggest you do need to use the sticky pads to fix your plates in the holder unless you want then pinched. If you do stick them you cant get the plates out without breaking the holder.

I use one on the bike rack & one on my trailer as it's easy to change plates to match the vehicle they are being used behind. Would suggest you do need to use the sticky pads to fix your plates in the holder unless you want then pinched. If you do stick them you cant get the plates out without breaking the holder.
Im hoping to keep this one for 20 years so removing the plate shouldn’t be an issue.
Unless we have a windfall !

A little dusty but here is my Würth plate holder
View attachment 111802
Not sure what it’s like in Germany, but in the UK plates are stolen from vehicles to put on stolen cars. These type of clip in plate holders make it very easy for plates to be removed by thieves.

They can also rattle, but with a Cali that may not be noticeable….;-)

Not sure what it’s like in Germany, but in the UK plates are stolen from vehicles to put on stolen cars. These type of clip in plate holders make it very easy for plates to be removed by thieves.

WTF? You have more chance of winning the lottery 10 weeks on the trot than getting your plates stolen.
They don’t rattle, there are cleverly designed spring clips that hold the plate rigid.

The Germans have a standardized plate spec and the holder is designed to accommodate it perfectly. And the Wurth holder is Made in Germany so less likelihood for a mismatch.
There is definitely no rattling of the plate when secured by the bezel of the holder. The front even has a slight curvature to accommodate the shape of the bumper. Obviously if you use a none standard plate there might be some play.

WTF? You have more chance of winning the lottery 10 weeks on the trot than getting your plates stolen.
They don’t rattle, there are cleverly designed spring clips that hold the plate rigid.

Ive not won the lottery once but have had screwed on plates stolen twice, both whilst parked up in London, must enter the euro lottery this week.

Its one of the reasons I now have a distinctive plate on the van.

Plates theft more common than catalytic converters in villages near me.

Plates theft more common than catalytic converters in villages near me.
Catalytic converter theft is rife in the West Midlands. 1minute is all it took them to do a Toyota, 2 doors away in winter

Ive not won the lottery once but have had screwed on plates stolen twice, both whilst parked up in London, must enter the euro lottery this week.

Its one of the reasons I now have a distinctive plate on the van.
We won on the lottery, 2 weeks after it first started.
We had £5k, but shared between 18 of us. Boo

Well the plates on my car, held in these types of frames (but not Wurth as far as I know) rattled every time the boot was closed.

Also, just a few days ago plates were stolen (not mine though) as per the Tweet (Xs..?) below…IMG_0401.jpeg

That made me laugh.....we are soooo awful at any quality control in this country. I bought an Audi TT new in 2018...went to collect and number plates were firstly cracked, then not in alignment, then on the third attempt whilst I'm waiting, they had 'split' the black lettering. The was so much commotion going on at the 'unveiling' the branch manager came out and after explaining what was going on, he sat me down at a desk, put his hands in this head and said to me "Mr _ , I cannot believe it...Your beautiful car was made in Hungry without fault.. ...its railed to a German port of exit and there PDI'd and given its final checks...the UK dealer ONLY has to put a number plate on...and we cant even get that right...its embarrassing!' That will stick with me for a long time, especially as the dealer 'front' looked slick and glitzy, but behind that façade reality shone through. I have to say even with my Cali - the only place it has had any damage is by the incompetence of the dealer, and their service doesn't inspire , yet they are obsessed to receive 5 star feedback.
I deliver new cars and I’ve had every permutation of faults with number plates you can think of. Two yellow plates, different reg front and rear, wrong reg, mounting holes drilled in the wrong place and left or dragged to make a slot, plate upside down. It’s nothing personal, every garage seems to be crap at it, doesn’t matter if you’re spending 30k or 100k, if they can get it wrong, they will.

IMG_7618.jpeg
£15 for two from eBay.

It’s about £8 for a new plate off Amazon, next day delivery. Just put a new set on mine. I would just do that and drill the holes in the right place this time. Despite your dealers efforts, it’s really easy. As others have said, the lugs are already set in the body work at the back so use the same screws and as long as VW have set the lugs in the right place (no guarantee!) all will be fine. I wouldn’t use double sided pads personnally, prefer to do a proper job.
The sticky pads ARE a proper job!

The sticky pads ARE a proper job!
I had problems with the sticky pad method (no frame just straight to body) coming undone/detached in direct sunlight during heatwave when the different expansion rates of the backing alloy and perspex front made the numberplate curve levering the pad off at one end.
Cali internal temp showed 48C.

Back