Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Number plates

I

Ianvonlux2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, How are the number plates attached? Does the garage drill through the plate and the metal body work or are there "lugs" on the bodywork from factory? I want to move my plates as they are not straight but I'm reluctant to drill holes in the body work!

IMG_5037.jpeg

There are predrilled lugs. But my dealer still drilled into the sheet metal. I was not a happy bunny when I switched from BE to DE plates and discovered what had been done.

it’s so funny. They had 1 job.
And messed it up.
Hope you checked for scratch marks before you took handover.
There are pre drilled holes with screwed inserts behind.
So you’ll have to drill a hole (in the number plate) further down on the right. Then lift that side of the number plate up.

it’s so funny. They had 1 job.
And messed it up.
Hope you checked for scratch marks before you took handover.
There are pre drilled holes with screwed inserts behind.
So you’ll have to drill a hole (in the number plate) further down on the right. Then lift that side of the number plate up.
And drill the plates so they are level !

Don’t drill any holes. Take those off and throw them in the bin. Get some nice plates and put them on with 3M double sided tape.
Exactly what my first job is tomorrow.
Don’t want JCB group on my plates thanks.
Can’t decide to go UK on plate or a separate sticker

And drill the plates so they are level !
Pretty sure that’s what drilling a hole lower on the right hand side (existing hole) of the number plate would achieve.
But I agree with @dspuk
Throw them and get new plates.

I thought a big UK sticker was obligatory to meet EU regs.
Im just back from three weeks in Europe. Consensus seems to be country code on number plate or a big sticker. Rarely both. Often neither!

Im just back from three weeks in Europe. Consensus seems to be country code on number plate or a big sticker. Rarely both. Often neither!
Uk on plate ok for France , but big UK sticker needed for Spain

Hi, How are the number plates attached? Does the garage drill through the plate and the metal body work or are there "lugs" on the bodywork from factory? I want to move my plates as they are not straight but I'm reluctant to drill holes in the body work!
It’s about £8 for a new plate off Amazon, next day delivery. Just put a new set on mine. I would just do that and drill the holes in the right place this time. Despite your dealers efforts, it’s really easy. As others have said, the lugs are already set in the body work at the back so use the same screws and as long as VW have set the lugs in the right place (no guarantee!) all will be fine. I wouldn’t use double sided pads personnally, prefer to do a proper job.

Pretty sure that’s what drilling a hole lower on the right hand side (existing hole) of the number plate would achieve.
But I agree with @dspuk
Throw them and get new plates.
Over 3yrs on it pains me to buy new plates as theres otherwise nothing wrong with them, apart from garage logo. Maybe some 3m tape and cover the garage logo.

Don’t drill any holes. Take those off and throw them in the bin. Get some nice plates and put them on with 3M double sided tape.
Keep the plates, Use the double sided, but retain one screw fixing. Stick the ‘other’ screw cap on with some superglue to cover the hole.

It’s about £8 for a new plate off Amazon, next day delivery. Just put a new set on mine. I would just do that and drill the holes in the right place this time. Despite your dealers efforts, it’s really easy. As others have said, the lugs are already set in the body work at the back so use the same screws and as long as VW have set the lugs in the right place (no guarantee!) all will be fine. I wouldn’t use double sided pads personnally, prefer to do a proper job.
Did the £8 plates have writing on the bottom of the plate like a BS number ?

I refuse to drill plates now. Always use sticky tape now. I was REME in Germany in the late 80s when the IRA were bombing the forces cars at ports so we had to change every army plate to a fake UK one. We were given the job and I must have drilled (and cracked) hundreds of plates. Put me off drilling number plates for life and glad of a more modern, better and cleaner alternative. No bolts, fake or otherwise showing out. Paid 70K for our Cali, quite happy to spend 25 quid on a super high quality set of plates online.

Given the number of illegal plates on the road with the letters WA NK ER moved closer with Bolts used to change some letters and numbers and the total lack of police giving two hoots I doubt not having the right letters on will cause many issues outside of MOT.

When I got mine they asked if they were “show plates” and if I wanted the letters leaving off. I did not.

Given the number of illegal plates on the road with the letters WA NK ER moved closer with Bolts used to change some letters and numbers and the total lack of police giving two hoots I doubt not having the right letters on will cause many issues outside of MOT.

When I got mine they asked if they were “show plates” and if I wanted the letters leaving off. I did not.
Don’t get me started on t***s like that!

Don’t get me started on t***s like that!
You mean TW 4 TS :D

Funnily enough on the way back from Cornwall last year there were a lot of vans with names like DAISY on illegal plates and there rozzers were parked up halfway down the A30 and pulling them all in.

I saw a great one yesterday
X1LLA
The X crossing was nearly at the bottom.
I think he likes a football team or something.
On a brand new Range.

View attachment 111736
This option utilises the VW screw points.

This option utilises the VW screw points.

Would number plates clip in, or is it then necessary to use double sided adhesive tape/pads?

Back