Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Numbers sold - T6 Beach vs T6 Ocean

T6 owners only. Have you a Beach or Ocean?

• Beach T6

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • Ocean T6

Votes: 101 55.5%

• Total voters
2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
[UK T6 owners only please]
Following the current news / rumour that VW will stop the Beach model in the UK, we were speculating on the proportion of Beach Sales to Ocean Sales. I've created a poll, but only want T6 owners in the UK to reply, as we are after the recent importance of the Beach, and including the T5 would make the result inaccurate because of the years when only the SE was available, and we are trying to understand the importance of the Beach in recent years)
My own feeling is that the rumour will turn out to be incorrect, but the info will be useful to the shop etc.
Coast owners can sit on their hands for the moment!
Edit: members who have ordered but not taken delivery are welcome to take part.

Last edited:
Following the current news / rumour that VW will stop the Beach model in the UK, we were speculating on the proportion of Beach Sales to Ocean Sales. I've created a poll, but only want T6 owners to reply as we are after the recent importance of the Beach, and including the T5 would make the result inaccurate because of the years when only the SE was available, and we are trying to understand the importance of the Beach in recent years)
My own feeling is that the rumour will turn out to be incorrect, but the info will be useful to the shop etc.
Coast owners can sit on their hands for the moment!

I have voted, even though my Beach is still awaiting delivery.

Daz....

You can place public bets as to the outcome.
I went 60/40 Ocean / Beach but nearly went 65/35.
S2bear 70/30
Amarillo went (via SMG hint) 80/20

Mine is a Coast.
It would be nice to add this possibility in the survey to really know the percentage of this version

Mine is a Coast.
It would be nice to add this possibility in the survey to really know the percentage of this version
The issue the possible discontinuation of the Beach in the UK. As the Coast isn't available in the UK currently, its not relevant to our market (but lots of Ocean owners would prefer one).

Voted, been wondering this myself, awaiting results with interest.

More Oceans sold than I thought there would be.

More Beaches sold than I expected. I hardly ever see a Beach when out and about, always Ocean or 5.1 SE.
Let's be honest, they're both pretty rare, which is why you don't see many on the road.

I think the OP was trying to fund out how many of each variant were sold.

Whilst this website only covers those currently registered in the UK, it should give a fairly good indicator of the numbers Beach vs Ocean. (I can't imagine the exported /scrapped numbers are going to be that significant and change the picture much)

My understanding was that OP was trying to find out which variant had the bigger market here in the UK.

One snag that's just occurred to me, is that it's easy to find out which are the Ocean numbers. The Ocean only started from T6 on.

The Beach however was a model name under the T5.

It guess it would be useful to get the designation/description from T6 Beach owners as this may differentiate them from the T5s

Our 2018 V5 says:

California Beach TDI BMT S-A

On this sites classifieds only 4 Beach's, re
My understanding was that OP was trying to find out which variant had the bigger market here in the UK.

It was a discussion on another thread regarding a *rumour* and reports that the Beach may not be available in T6.1.

I posed the question of what percentage of Beach vs Oceans are sold in the UK, thinking this may give an indication, i.e are Beach's sold in low numbers compared to Ocean's.

Daz....

On this sites classifieds only 4 Beach's, re

It was a discussion on another thread regarding a *rumour* and reports that the Beach may not be available in T6.1.

I posed the question of what percentage of Beach vs Oceans are sold in the UK, thinking this may give an indication, i.e are Beach's sold in low numbers compared to Ocean's.

Daz....

I posed the question of what percentage of Beach vs Oceans are sold in the UK, thinking this may give an indication of why the Beach may not be available in T6.1, i.e low demand.

Looking forward to seeing the result.

We’ve recently sold our SE and will get our new Ocean in 3-4 weeks. Thought I’d better mention and also update my profile as I voted as an Ocean owner, just haven’t got it in my possession yet. We did look at a Beach but for our lifestyle it wasn’t for us.

Thanks for all the discussions and votes. While it's nothing scientific I think it is still interesting... Particularly if the numbers stay as they are. Oceans just step back into the majority this morning after Beaches led last night (65 votes split 33/32)

Not sure where to point this out, but here seems as good as anywhere...it seems to have been said here and there that the coast is 'halfway' between a beach and an ocean, but it's not really, it's just a slightly low spec ocean. I have one and outlined all the differences on a previous thread. Basically the coast is about 10k less and has about 10k less options. Manual roof, very basic stereo, basic wheels, less coloured plastic, less chrome, no air con, no folding mirrors, no Led lights, no heater, etc. I then speced mine up to the tune of about 7k and got all the bits I wanted so it came out 3k cheaper.

The same talk that suggests the Beach is being cancelled in the UK also says the Coast may be coming. As you point out that would in no way satisfy the Beach buyers.... And would largely just split the existing Ocean buyers into 2.
So VW UK would still have costs of 2 models and would have managed (based on the results so far) to halve their sales in volume terms. Clearly that would be shooting themselves in the foot, which is why I think the rumours are wrong. The fact that some UK dealers are spreading the rumours is just an indication of how little brain power they spend thinking about the camper market.

Back