Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Left hand cupboard door handle/latch

B

barney108vwcali

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
New to the California club. Picked up a 2020 Cali a couple of weeks ago. Left hand cupboard, below the sink didn’t lock/Catch shut and today had the handle replaced by dealer. The cupboard still doesn’t latch shut. I’ve searched through the forums and online parts catalogues but unable to find the answer and the VW main dealer isn’t sure. Says the handle might need adjusting.

Door handle was missing the plastic catch part circled in red.

Is there something missing from the latch recess in the picture?

Thanks

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

New to the California club. Picked up a 2020 Cali a couple of weeks ago. Left hand cupboard, below the sink didn’t lock/Catch shut and today had the handle replaced by dealer. The cupboard still doesn’t latch shut. I’ve searched through the forums and online parts catalogues but unable to find the answer and the VW main dealer isn’t sure. Says the handle might need adjusting.

Thanks

View attachment 113174

View attachment 113175
^^^^^ the recess latch is as it should be - Unlike mine that got snapped. Not sure how that one is replaced tbh - Feels stuck, or fixed from behind. But your's is as it should be :)

That all looks normal. Give it a little prod with your finger on the x to get it to catch, gently or you might break it. B694B696-63D2-4B9B-A880-3053BE1CC202.jpeg

Thanks. Tried pressing the handle when it’s closed to try and see if it will engage with the latch but still not securing the door. Door appears to be in the runners, top and bottom fine and slides along to the right without a problem. Can’t see there is any adjustment available on the handle as it’s fitted snuggly into the cut out on the door.

Oh well, mystery for dealer to solve and sort.

Thanks. Tried pressing the handle when it’s closed to try and see if it will engage with the latch but still not securing the door. Door appears to be in the runners, top and bottom fine and slides along to the right without a problem. Can’t see there is any adjustment available on the handle as it’s fitted snuggly into the cut out on the door.

Oh well, mystery for dealer to solve and sort.
Worth a try. I’ve broken two of them, they’re not very good.

Thanks

View attachment 113174

View attachment 113175

Yes, you have lost a vertical plastic rib which should be present in the static receiving part in the door frame on the ‘near side’ in your photo.

You can remove that complete part, and renew it, but it requires you to get the fridge out of the way first. Otherwise see my post of Aug 13th 2023 for a rather simple repair which will save you a lot of fuss and bother:

Yes, you have lost a vertical plastic rib which should be present in the static receiving part in the door frame on the ‘near side’ in your photo.

You can remove that complete part, and renew it, but it requires you to get the fridge out of the way first. Otherwise see my post of Aug 13th 2023 for a rather simple repair which will save you a lot of fuss and bother:

No 9 on this parts diagram by the looks. My OCD would like to replace it, but complete madness if the fridge has to be moved! Won't be getting involved in that.

No 9 on this parts diagram by the looks. My OCD would like to replace it, but complete madness if the fridge has to be moved! Won't be getting involved in that.

So it looks like this - when not broken! - although by the looks of it perhaps the T6.1 item is marginally different (anyone?!), as I don't see the little rectangular tang on the lower side. But it does illustrate the key point which is the need for the presence of the vertical rib which allows the moving barb to latch:

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 10.13.22.png

And the saga continues. Back to the dealers as cupboard still would not latch shut. I’ve noticed a few more minor niggles. Plastic base trim to drivers seat is cracked, rear wardrobe door is missing a latch and one of the camping chairs has a loose screw that won’t tighten. All of these issues were reported to dealer in August 2023. Dealer has stated that VW refused to cover the items under warranty. When I questioned confirmation that VW won’t warranty factory fitted items less than 3 years old, dealer has stated that they will now authorise the parts. After 2.5 weeks of waiting, and me chasing the dealer for an update on the parts, parts are here. Main VW dealer is now saying they need the van for 4 days to fit the 4 parts and that the fridge will have to come out. Although they are a VW commercial dealer, not lifestyle, if they remove the fridge then it will no longer be covered by VW warranty. I have asked, what is the point of having a California without a fridge and what the plan is to resolve the issue?

I’m awaiting a response/resolution.

And the saga continues. Back to the dealers as cupboard still would not latch shut. I’ve noticed a few more minor niggles. Plastic base trim to drivers seat is cracked, rear wardrobe door is missing a latch and one of the camping chairs has a loose screw that won’t tighten. All of these issues were reported to dealer in August 2023. Dealer has stated that VW refused to cover the items under warranty. When I questioned confirmation that VW won’t warranty factory fitted items less than 3 years old, dealer has stated that they will now authorise the parts. After 2.5 weeks of waiting, and me chasing the dealer for an update on the parts, parts are here. Main VW dealer is now saying they need the van for 4 days to fit the 4 parts and that the fridge will have to come out. Although they are a VW commercial dealer, not lifestyle, if they remove the fridge then it will no longer be covered by VW warranty. I have asked, what is the point of having a California without a fridge and what the plan is to resolve the issue?

I’m awaiting a response/resolution.
Exasperating approach from VW.
I broke my cupboard latch as above, and paid £12 to have it replaced during a service. Thankfully fridge doesn’t need to come out for that part.
Important to ensure you only open 1 door at a time if you want to reserve this easily broken latch…