Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean or very high spec Beach camper

B

Bottleofred

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
First time post for me having just registered. Really helpful reading all the comments. So thank you.

I know this topic has been discussed to death , so my apologies but I am about to go ahead and buy my first ever camper

I don’t have kids to consider and I don’t feel I need all the Ocean storage and really like the space in the Beach. Also feels more like I am camping and can add my own stuff like fridge, rocket stove etc

I would appreciate any thoughts of pros and cons of an ocean versus a high spec beach camper ?

The beach would have pretty much everything on it.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions

They both have advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to your own personal situation and how you want to camp. Sounds like you already answered your question though and a Beach is what you want.

First time post for me having just registered. Really helpful reading all the comments. So thank you.

I know this topic has been discussed to death , so my apologies but I am about to go ahead and buy my first ever camper

I don’t have kids to consider and I don’t feel I need all the Ocean storage and really like the space in the Beach. Also feels more like I am camping and can add my own stuff like fridge, rocket stove etc

I would appreciate any thoughts of pros and cons of an ocean versus a high spec beach camper ?

We were torn at the beginning between the 2 and were originally going to get a Beach but eventually opted for an Ocean. Beach is more versatile as a vehicle, Ocean is much more ready to go at a moments notice as already loaded with stuff. The fridge on the Ocean is the biggest selling point for us and the one thing we can’t live without. What I think is a real shame in the U.K. is that the Beach is marketed as a lower spec model so it doesn’t come with loads of the stuff as standard that an Ocean comes with. Adding all those optional extras makes it really quite expensive and dare I say, overpriced really for what it is. I wish VW had marketed them on a par with each other. We love our Ocean though and feel we made the right choice. Everything is just easy and ready to go. And it’s still pretty versatile as a vehicle as the two bench seat slides forward a long way and the rear shelf can be removed. What we didn’t like about the Beach was the 3 seat bench is very high when in bed mode. There’s no room to sit up. We think that’s pretty badly designed. So we would have only considered the 2 bench seat Beach.

Ocean as it already has sink, hob and fridge and is ready to go. It can still be modified to suit one's needs / likes.

They both have advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to your own personal situation and how you want to camp. Sounds like you already answered your question though and a Beach is what you want.
Makes sense and thank you. I omitted to say I am trying to convince myself I won’t ever need 4motion which of course only the ocean has.

I absolutely “used to be decisive but I am not so sure anymore”

Makes sense and thank you. I omitted to say I am trying to convince myself I won’t ever need 4motion which of course only the ocean has.

I absolutely “used to be decisive but I am not so sure anymore”

Ocean as it already has sink, hob and fridge and is ready to go. It can still be modified to suit one's needs / likes.
Yep yep. The ability to just head off is a very good point

We were torn at the beginning between the 2 and were originally going to get a Beach but eventually opted for an Ocean. Beach is more versatile as a vehicle, Ocean is much more ready to go at a moments notice as already loaded with stuff. The fridge on the Ocean is the biggest selling point for us and the one thing we can’t live without. What I think is a real shame in the U.K. is that the Beach is marketed as a lower spec model so it doesn’t come with loads of the stuff as standard that an Ocean comes with. Adding all those optional extras makes it really quite expensive and dare I say, overpriced really for what it is. I wish VW had marketed them on a par with each other. We love our Ocean though and feel we made the right choice. Everything is just easy and ready to go. And it’s still pretty versatile as a vehicle as the two bench seat slides forward a long way and the rear shelf can be removed. What we didn’t like about the Beach was the 3 seat bench is very high when in bed mode. There’s no room to sit up. We think that’s pretty badly designed. So we would have only considered the 2 bench seat Beach.
Thank you for the detailed very helpful reply. I had read about the bed height and would have gone for the three seat and regretted it I think.

Ocean is ready to go and works out better value than a well spec’d Beach.

Beach gives more flexibility, up to 7seats and can choose exactly what fridge & kitchen equipment / kitchen pods suits you best. 3 seat bench allows more storage underneath, works well when combined with a sliding boot tray & rear seats are more contoured so give more comfort for rear passengers (downside is that you need a comfort mattress to smooth out the lumps in the flat seat).

Not having 4motion can be overcome by good tyre choice - unless you are planning on going off-road a lot.

Thank you for the detailed very helpful reply. I had read about the bed height and would have gone for the three seat and regretted it I think.
Then you have to consider what’s the difference between a 2 seat bench Beach and an Ocean? Exactly the same seating configuration and those build in cupboards leave the same amount of floor space as the Ocean, but without conveniences of fridge etc. Big differences are that everything has to be stored in boxes or containers and unpacked on the Beach. On the Ocean it’s good to go all the time. This was ty exact thought process we went through to decide on an Ocean. We definitely made the right choice for us.

I assume 4motion isn't available in the UK. My in-laws have a new T6.1 Beach with 4motion on order right now (to replace a T6 Beach with 4motion), but maybe that is just available here in Germany. I would have liked 4motion but it was a stretch too far in the budget when we bought our T6.1 Beach. We've done around 25,000 miles throughout Europe in the last 18 months or so with front wheel drive and I've not yet been in a situation where I needed 4motion. I have come to the conclusion that it is a nice thing to have if you can afford it but it is not necessary.

You could get a two bench seater and then add something like this if you want build in cupboards:
Surely may as well just get an Ocean if you’re going to do that? Agree about the 4 motion. It’s way up on a pedestal here on the forum, but does anyone actually NEED it? I’m sure there’s a few but I can’t believe it’s the same number of people if those who actually get it. I’m sure many just get it for better residuals.

Surely may as well just get an Ocean if you’re going to do that? Agree about the 4 motion. It’s way up on a pedestal here on the forum, but does anyone actually NEED it? I’m sure there’s a few but I can’t believe it’s the same number of people if those who actually get it. I’m sure many just get it for better residuals.

Adding that cupboard does not make an Ocean equivalent. It is just storage space, not a fridge, cooker, gas installation, etc.

We use a pull our tray combined with a Dometic fridge and removable camping kitchen and storage I made. Serves us well in both everyday use and on holiday.

* Sleeping wife and daughter edited from photo.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Adding that cupboard does not make an Ocean equivalent. It is just storage space, not a fridge, cooker, gas installation, etc.

We use a pull our tray combined with a Dometic fridge and removable camping kitchen and storage I made. Serves us well in both everyday use and on holiday.

* Sleeping wife and daughter edited from photo.

View attachment 120953

View attachment 120954
Of course a Mackem has two crates of beer on their sliding tray ;)

Does the beach have a heater? It makes a lot of difference when camping and not just in winter time.

I agree with the comment that the build in storage in an ocean makes a difference. Everything is packed away instead of in your way. And you always know where things are. It makes camping in a small camper van a lot easier and less of a hassle.

4WD is cool. I'd love to have it, but I don't miss it because honestly I don't need it. Only you know how important 4WD is for you.

Also consider why you like the space in the beach. No kids, so you're 1 or 2 adults. Still plenty of room. Any skiing or surfing hobbies, etc?

Never see any pictures of someone camping with a Beach in 0c and horizontal rain without giant awnings etc.

Does the beach have a heater? It makes a lot of difference when camping and not just in winter time.

I agree with the comment that the build in storage in an ocean makes a difference. Everything is packed away instead of in your way. And you always know where things are. It makes camping in a small camper van a lot easier and less of a hassle.

4WD is cool. I'd love to have it, but I don't miss it because honestly I don't need it. Only you know how important 4WD is for you.

Also consider why you like the space in the beach. No kids, so you're 1 or 2 adults. Still plenty of room. Any skiing or surfing hobbies, etc?

Yes, you can spec the Beach with a diesel heater, we have it on ours and have camped in the snow without any problem.

Yes, you can spec the Beach with a diesel heater, we have it on ours and have camped in the snow without any problem.
I'm sorry, I meant: does this particular beach the OP is looking at have a heater? Not sure if we're talking new Cali or second hand.

I'm sorry, I meant: does this particular beach the OP is looking at have a heater? Not sure if we're talking new Cali or second hand.
Hi there

Yes it does have a heater
plus pretty much everything else you can throw at it apart from a tow bar which I done need

I love the lower bed and rear glass of the Beach, but the Ocean's rear cupboards are so useful...
And there's perhaps the big conundrum.
I went Ocean as I only need 4 seatbelts, and so I can put everything away and have a sink and a fridge and all the standard Ocean bits too...
Every time I see a photo of the surround glass though, I imagine waking up and popping the Beach blinds.

I do understand the dilemma. We have a Coast which is highly specced (only missing double glazing and electric roof) and yet sometimes we do think a Beach might be more versatile. Certainly the beach has a LOT more room and with the seats removed can be used as a 'proper' van. The Coast/Ocean/Surf are much narrower and less versatile. As it happens we are sometimes faced with the need for 5 seats and the beach would be better, however one thing I am not too convinced about is that the Beach Camper has a higher downstairs bed (less headroom) and the storage is minimal.........

And yes, being able to just pull up, have a cup of tea, a cold drink or a bite to eat is EASY with our Coast....... it would just be a but more 'faffy' with the Beach Camper.

My son has a T6 Kombi which with less kit is much roomier and more spritely to drive whereas the Coast is a bit 'lardy' by comparison.

I'm stiil on the fence tho :D

Back