Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Odd behaviour in idle

zinglefiffy

zinglefiffy

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My van hasn't moved for a week due to us self-isolating. Today, I went to have a general poke around and give it a clean, turned it round on the drive and left it idling for a bit while I did some determined faffing about. I noticed that it was periodically moving, as if someone had given it a shove from the back, or I was trying to pull away while the handbrake was on. It was regular enough that I timed it, several times. It was doing this every 53 seconds, bang on.
So,
DSG was in 'P'. Handbrake was fully on. The green foot symbol on the dashboard was on (Safelock?). I wasn't in the drivers seat. No indications from the rev counter, or audible difference I could hear. There was no wind or other weather that could be causing the motion. Every time I timed it, it was 53 seconds in between it occurring. I got back in the drivers seat, turned the engine off, back on and moved it back and forward and back to idling and the strange movement didn't reoccur.

Any thoughts on what might have been causing it? I'm guessing it was something the van was trying to do to itself given it was so regular, but I can't remember ever noticing this before.

My van hasn't moved for a week due to us self-isolating. Today, I went to have a general poke around and give it a clean, turned it round on the drive and left it idling for a bit while I did some determined faffing about. I noticed that it was periodically moving, as if someone had given it a shove from the back, or I was trying to pull away while the handbrake was on. It was regular enough that I timed it, several times. It was doing this every 53 seconds, bang on.
So,
DSG was in 'P'. Handbrake was fully on. The green foot symbol on the dashboard was on (Safelock?). I wasn't in the drivers seat. No indications from the rev counter, or audible difference I could hear. There was no wind or other weather that could be causing the motion. Every time I timed it, it was 53 seconds in between it occurring. I got back in the drivers seat, turned the engine off, back on and moved it back and forward and back to idling and the strange movement didn't reoccur.

Any thoughts on what might have been causing it? I'm guessing it was something the van was trying to do to itself given it was so regular, but I can't remember ever noticing this before.
The “ Green foot symbol “ is the reminder, footbrake On to change gear selector.
As far as the movement is concerned, that would indicate that the driveline was periodically being activated against the resistance of the hand brake, despite being in P. I don’t know how that could happen unless the DSG clutches were not fully disengaged.

Maybe the DSG Gearbox is due an Oil change? what mileage on the ODO?
DSG oil change is milage or time.
40,000 miles or 2 years I think.
As I average 20k/yr I have it done every 2 yrs anyway.

It's 2 years and one month old and it just clocked up 20k a week ago. It's been telling me an inspection is due in X number of days, for a couple of weeks. Homeschooling has pushed jobs like that onto the 'get round to it' list, I guess might be time to bump it onto the priority list

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Back