Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150ps off-grid ?

Dippa

Dippa

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Does anyone use their 150ps for camping off-grid without any issues. I've seen loads of pictures in the forum where people are parked up in a lovely location which is more off-grid, but they're all using a 4M.

If anyone has any pics with their 150 in a more of-grid location please share :D

Does anyone use their 150ps for camping off-grid without any issues. I've seen loads of pictures in the forum where people are parked up in a lovely location which is more off-grid, but they're all using a 4M.

If anyone has any pics with their 150 in a more of-grid location please share :D
The tyres are the most important factor, with all terrain tyres you can do more than standard road tyres.

The drivetrain of 4wd combined with all terrain tyres will of course be "the best", but don't let that put you off.

The power (150bhp Vs 204bhp) is the least affecting factor in the set-up.

So 150bhp with 2wd and all terrain tyres should get you to the same places as those photos :)

We have had no issues with our 150 DSG 2 wheel drive with Michelin Aglis Cross Climate tyres. As said, good grippy tyres are required.

Brill. Thanks both this reassures me

We venture off road lots in 2WD 150 Beach - i have a few bits / bobs in the van to get me out of trouble should the need arise - only real problem so far is loose sand but not got stuck - i like the idea of an inline winch if i ever planned a big off road adventure. We have travelled lots and always on look out for sneaky riverside or beachy spots - here are a couple of pics from Ireland beach and a riverside in Albania - you could always get a local farmer to drag you out - if i could have ordered a 4M 150 Beach i would have but in reality havnt needed it - the 150 engine in my view is very adequate reliable and economical IMG_5626.jpgIMG_5533.jpgIMG_8143 (2).JPG

We venture off road lots in 2WD 150 Beach - i have a few bits / bobs in the van to get me out of trouble should the need arise - only real problem so far is loose sand but not got stuck - i like the idea of an inline winch if i ever planned a big off road adventure. We have travelled lots and always on look out for sneaky riverside or beachy spots - here are a couple of pics from Ireland beach and a riverside in Albania - you could always get a local farmer to drag you out - if i could have ordered a 4M 150 Beach i would have but in reality havnt needed it - the 150 engine in my view is very adequate reliable and economical View attachment 86282View attachment 86283View attachment 86284
its not just the 4motion its ground clearance i struggle with the spare wheel on the rear it hangs very low to low in my opinion for any kind of off road driving.

its not just the 4motion its ground clearance i struggle with the spare wheel on the rear it hangs very low to low in my opinion for any kind of off road driving.
As an emergency option for those without the bigger front discs is to use a 16" wheel with a 205/65/16 tyre. load ratings from 103 up available. Could be used with the big brake vans if a rear was swapped & rear then fitted to punctured front.

I was given a courtesy van once with this size fitted and noticed that it didn't have the spacers fitted to the rack securing bolts and the front part was hinged higher up as well. Being inquisitive I had a look.

Wheel barely visible.

As an emergency option for those without the bigger front discs is to use a 16" wheel with a 205/65/16 tyre. load ratings from 103 up available. Could be used with the big brake vans if a rear was swapped & rear then fitted to punctured front.

I was given a courtesy van once with this size fitted and noticed that it didn't have the spacers fitted to the rack securing bolts and the front part was hinged higher up as well. Being inquisitive I had a look.

Wheel barely visible.
I have a 4 motion, steel spare. Its not the spare that compromises the ground clearance/attack angle at the rear. 17" wheels and standard 235 tyres fitted.

I have a 4 motion, steel spare. Its not the spare that compromises the ground clearance/attack angle at the rear. 17" wheels and standard 235 tyres fitted.
I was mere;ly saying that the 16" wheel carrier uses the front higher mounting and has no spacers at the rear bolts result being that the rack has approx 2" more ground clearance that the 17" with 235 tyres does.
Spare wheel rack clearance is the problem on rutted tracks.

I don't understand why the 4M Beach wouldn't be available in the UK? It's coming out of the same factory that produces Beaches for other markets where 4M is an option. Why would something that exists be made unavailable? It boggles...

Very cool pictures @CALI FATE, but I'm not sure a winch would be of any use in those locations ;)

Good tyres are the most important, punchers can be more of an issue I found with the standard factory tyres.

I don't understand why the 4M Beach wouldn't be available in the UK? It's coming out of the same factory that produces Beaches for other markets where 4M is an option. Why would something that exists be made unavailable? It boggles...

Very cool pictures @CALI FATE, but I'm not sure a winch would be of any use in those locations ;)
No doubt a LHD could be sourced.
Beach not on current configurator.

A 4M Kombi could be purchased and converted but probably more expensive route.
Shuttle also no 4M available.

I was mere;ly saying that the 16" wheel carrier uses the front higher mounting and has no spacers at the rear bolts result being that the rack has approx 2" more ground clearance that the 17" with 235 tyres does.
Spare wheel rack clearance is the problem on rutted tracks.
No criticism meant, just that on my vehicle, standard suspension, I think i would be more likely to damage the plastic under trays or the rear axle before the spare wheel in its carrier causes a problem. If the ruts are that deep then bottoming out is more likely and the spare wheel is unlikely to play a part in that.

No criticism meant, just that on my vehicle, standard suspension, I think i would be more likely to damage the plastic under trays or the rear axle before the spare wheel in its carrier causes a problem. If the ruts are that deep then bottoming out is more likely and the spare wheel is unlikely to play a part in that.
True but I have even caught the spare wheel lock when exiting the red squirrel campsite the road dipped then sharp up hill ,I might have been going a little to quickly but still it shows how low that point is.

I am reluctant to lift the van mainly due to cost and warranty concerns but I have a fear of damaging the underside as we often go off the beaten track.

No criticism meant, just that on my vehicle, standard suspension, I think i would be more likely to damage the plastic under trays or the rear axle before the spare wheel in its carrier causes a problem. If the ruts are that deep then bottoming out is more likely and the spare wheel is unlikely to play a part in
Caught my carrier 'safelock' on a manhole once, nothing else hit it.
Single track road where the surface had sunk each side of the manhole by nothing that looked worrying but was going uphill so as you say the rear low overhang compounded the lack of clearance.

Back