Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Offered oil upgrade on service - Castrol Edge?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

Just booking in the Cali for it's first service, have the service pack so not expecting to pay, but I'm being offered an oil upgrade to Castrol Edge Professional Titanium. This will cost an extra £30.

If I don't pay, I'll get BP Visco which as far as I can tell is a fully synthetic premium oil which I guess must meet VW specs.

Looks like an up selling exercise and I'm not convinced it is worth it. They did tell me that VW use the Castrol edge in new vans though.

Any thoughts on this?

They obviously are upselling and can only use approved spec oil otherwise they would be invalidating the warranty.

Just insist that they should be using same as factory supplied otherwise you will report them VWCV UK.

Mmmm - phoned a couple of other dealers who say they use the castrol edge professional anyway - no extra charge!

After a bit of googling I found that Castrol is just a brand name of BP, so it is quite likely the BP Visco is the same stuff as Castrol Edge professional, so they are either getting me to pay £30 for the same stuff or the Visco stuff is inferior. Either way it leaves a bad taste so I think I'll probably cancel my booking

Castrol Edge 'Professional' contains a UV dye to prove its authenticity and is intended for dealers. Both Castrol Edge and Castrol Edge 'Professional' comply with the 504 00 / 507 00 specification. Insist they use either of these and refuse to pay extra for the Castrol Edge 'Professional' as far as your concerned its the same oil.

After a bit of googling I found that Castrol is just a brand name of BP, so it is quite likely the BP Visco is the same stuff as Castrol Edge professional, so they are either getting me to pay £30 for the same stuff or the Visco stuff is inferior. Either way it leaves a bad taste so I think I'll probably cancel my booking

BP Visco is a lower spec oil (502 /505 00 ) relative to castrol edge (504 / 507 00). if they use the former the service interval would need to be shorter. VW state 504 / 507 spec oils should be used in their latest California's

Back