Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil filled radiator?

I was camping last weekend with the small oil filled radiator - put it between the front seats nicely and doesn’t touch anything, just leave it on all night and keeps the van toasty. It was about freezing outside and i was comfy inside with a normal duvet. I did have the roof down though... It takes a couple of hours to warm up though. Ive tried a fan heater but it does tend to wake you up when it kicks on in the night.

I tried a fan heater when on hookup skiing in the alps, however the dry air gave me a sore throat. So following year used an oil filled heater left on tick over all day and turned up at night (I’m paying for EHU so might as well use it!).

We also have the Dimplex Eco Chico ceramic, thoroughly recommend if your budget can stretch to it. Heats the van up in minutes, silent, & sits nicely between front seats. We felt safer than oil filled with a little one around. That said, it’s not perfect: we still carry a small fan heater as a spare, & are hoping to retrofit diesel heater at some point because while small, the radiator does still take up space.

Can you hear the thermostat click on and off on the Eco Chico? I have another small oil filled and the thermostat wakes me up.

I too have an oil filled rad..De longhi 500w, between the front seats..plus diesel heating boosting when required.

The clicking will be a relay I expect and they will always make some noise; I think it's inevitable with a high-current electrical device. I imagine the relay is located near the control panel end of the rad, so if you turn it so that end faces away from you it might be quieter?

The clicking will be a relay I expect and they will always make some noise; I think it's inevitable with a high-current electrical device. I imagine the relay is located near the control panel end of the rad, so if you turn it so that end faces away from you it might be quieter?
Thanks for the response @RockinNRollin - I have tried distancing/turning as you suggest without success, the click still wakes me up and they I lie awake waiting for the next 'click' ...

Following your advice, I think I will try leaving the radiator at max and connecting it via a thermostat socket perhaps the latter will be quieter?

Thanks for the response @RockinNRollin - I have tried distancing/turning as you suggest without success, the click still wakes me up and they I lie awake waiting for the next 'click' ...

Following your advice, I think I will try leaving the radiator at max and connecting it via a thermostat socket perhaps the latter will be quieter?
Ear muffs?

That'll be the same and your temperature variation will be all over the place then (too hot/too cold). As previous post, earplugs (seriously) might be a better idea?

I does sound like I won't find a small, perhaps 500w, silent thermostatic controlled heater radiant (not fan, which is again noisy) electrical heater: which is what I was after. Yes ear plugs/muffs may be the work around to my problem; though those could intruduce other issues for example mal-intents in hoodies (will this start a patronisation?) not being heard so soon.

I does sound like I won't find a small, perhaps 500w, silent thermostatic controlled heater radiant (not fan, which is again noisy) electrical heater: which is what I was after. Yes ear plugs/muffs may be the work around to my problem; though those could intruduce other issues for example mal-intents in hoodies (will this start a patronisation?) not being heard so soon.
You can get varying levels of noise reduction ratings in earplugs; scour around for ones that reduce it slightly?

Back