Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ok guys....fridge

Any info on where to buy them?
I have a strong feeling Webasto sells IndelB's ones under own brand.
Exactly same models and even same names. And look exactly the same.

Guess you're right.
So indelb/webasto owners, are happy?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the difference between Waeco CFX35 and CF-035 (extra insulation, so lower power consumption, at the cost of 11cm extra length and 4cm extra width) is worth it?
Can't seem to find power consumption specs.

Nice question.

Does anyone use the VW 12v cool box at all & are they any good?

Only had our beach for 2 weeks so not had a chance to try it out & before we do I would like to know peoples opinions on them as I'm tempted to just use our coolbox as we would normally do...

From that info then Matt the CFX35 is more efficient and thus will last longer on battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok some very rough calcs to give you an idea in days how long they will last.

I believe the beach has a 68 a/h AGM battery. Leisure batteries generally can be discharged for a proportion of their capacity without doing permanent damage. Lead acid can go to about 50%, AGM batteries can go in theory to 80% some believe, my understanding is that 60% is safe and should give the battery more useable cycles, so Ive assumed 60%.

Obviously it will also not be exactly 20c all day and night, lower temps will see it working less hard higher harder.

Assumptions: Fridge at 5c internal temperate and temp shown is the ambient temp outside the fridge.

Fridge - Usage.jpg

Thanks, Matt.
that's a great report.
CFX seems to be a little better, and it costs almost the same....
still thinkin about it.
ignazio

If you always use electric hookup cable then you may prefer more space because consumption won't matter so much?

I find the 40 big enough for plenty of drinks and food for a few days but it is large and takes space in your van.

Really worth seeing them in a shop to look if the sizes suit you.

P.s. I've never tried a Vw coolbox.

I work in Hinckley, live nearby. We have an SE and another Beach that I think work at the same place. Never met the owners though and met another chap this morning who is pondering one.

I work in Lutterworth & live out towards Market Harborough but done a few trips to Hinckley as my mate owns a shop there & spotted a Cali on way back to Lutterworth Tuesday lunch but it was all a bit late & I didn't get a chance to wave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you always use electric hookup cable then you may prefer more space because consumption won't matter so much?

I find the 40 big enough for plenty of drinks and food for a few days but it is large and takes space in your van.

Really worth seeing them in a shop to look if the sizes suit you.

P.s. I've never tried a Vw coolbox.

My Beach is 2012 without hookup cable (i'm working on it, by myself…). Any way in my previous California t4 i had a solar system (240w) and one 198ah leisure battery, and it was great. Total independent. Now i have a brand new Agm 90 ah (much better than the acid Vw 80ah…:-( and i'm thinking about a solar sistem, maybe easier than the past, it depends on the t5 roof…just lookin around. In the meantime every saving energy solution is good. So cfx seems the best…
Maybe.

240w seems a bit much, no?
I see most kits are installing a single 100w panel.

Yes it was much than necessary. But it was great and beautiful. And useful. DIY. ;-)
Now 100-120w superflat, could be fine.
22c4f9e45d180032cf964f7ae685e83f.jpg
cd9afe0397d9ce3178ea49aae7523a44.jpg

Yes it was much than necessary. But it was great and beautiful. And useful. DIY. ;-)
Now 100-120w superflat, could be fine.
22c4f9e45d180032cf964f7ae685e83f.jpg
cd9afe0397d9ce3178ea49aae7523a44.jpg

very cool - cant even see the cable ..... does anyone use a temporary flexi set-up where you deploy and plug in as required. i think a 100w output would do me fine .... but dont want it permanently fixed to the van

In conclusion yes CFX is a lot more efficient and will give you more off grid time but all should give you 2 days of use without charging or driving.
Thanks a lot MattBW for these calculations, they're very usefull.

When I ordered the Waeco CF35 I wasn't aware of the difference CF35/CFX35. I hadn't done my research properly. But considering everything, I'm quite happy with my choice of CF35 over CFX35. Primary reason is size.. The CF35 is already quite huge, given that we're five..

Some thoughts
- Price difference is 153 euro here. That's about 40% of the price to install a solar panel. Or, if you look at it differently, the difference at 20C for CF35 vs CFX35 is 0.24 A which is 2.88W, so a foldable solar panel might bring it to similar levels. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Charger-Technology-Portable-Battery/dp/B00G6C5NR6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51hdoaNa08L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1B06D7GYXQYXPQCF0H8F
- In case of emergency you can always turn on the engine to charge the leisure battery.
- The size does make a difference IMO. The CF35 is 58x36x38.5cm The CFX35 is 63x41x41.1cm. The standard trunk depth of the 3 seater beach, with 3 seater bench in the position that just touches the multiflex board, is 60cm
- The CF35 fits in perfectly. For the CFX may need a couple of cms extra trunk space (losing interior space).
- The height under the multiflex board is about 45cm, enough for both. I don't really like losing 40%(!!) of the below-the-multiflex-board boot space though (which is 110x45x60cm in total). And I also don't like having to open the tailgate just to get the milk... if it's cold outside.
- The height under the 3 seater bench when made into a bed is about 39cm at it's lowest point - enough for the CF35 but not for the CFX35. It's always been a difficult thing in the 3-seater beach imo: what do you store underneath the bed when it's made up (trunk depth from 60cm to about 100cm, width about 120cm, height max 39cm). It's really a great place to store the waeco at night, disadvantage is that it's not so easy to lift in and out (because it's quite heavy, esp. when full).

I guess it comes down to deciding where to store the Waeco first - in the trunk, behind driver/passenger seat, below the bed, ..
In the ideal world I want fridge, kitchen pod and porta potti all in the living area of the beach, and still be able to put up the table. It's a challenge though and I'm still struggling with it. But we need the trunk space.

I think I will go for a solar panel installation at some point, even though I have the hook up. The only thing that still bothers me is that it becomes a bit harder to use a roof box.

Thanks a lot MattBW for these calculations, they're very usefull.

When I ordered the Waeco CF35 I wasn't aware of the difference CF35/CFX35. I hadn't done my research properly. But considering everything, I'm quite happy with my choice of CF35 over CFX35. Primary reason is size.. The CF35 is already quite huge, given that we're five..

Some thoughts
- Price difference is 153 euro here. That's about 40% of the price to install a solar panel. Or, if you look at it differently, the difference at 20C for CF35 vs CFX35 is 0.24 A which is 2.88W, so a foldable solar panel might bring it to similar levels. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Charger-Technology-Portable-Battery/dp/B00G6C5NR6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51hdoaNa08L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1B06D7GYXQYXPQCF0H8F
- In case of emergency you can always turn on the engine to charge the leisure battery.
- The size does make a difference IMO. The CF35 is 58x36x38.5cm The CFX35 is 63x41x41.1cm. The standard trunk depth of the 3 seater beach, with 3 seater bench in the position that just touches the multiflex board, is 60cm
- The CF35 fits in perfectly. For the CFX may need a couple of cms extra trunk space (losing interior space).
- The height under the multiflex board is about 45cm, enough for both. I don't really like losing 40%(!!) of the below-the-multiflex-board boot space though (which is 110x45x60cm in total). And I also don't like having to open the tailgate just to get the milk... if it's cold outside.
- The height under the 3 seater bench when made into a bed is about 39cm at it's lowest point - enough for the CF35 but not for the CFX35. It's always been a difficult thing in the 3-seater beach imo: what do you store underneath the bed when it's made up (trunk depth from 60cm to about 100cm, width about 120cm, height max 39cm). It's really a great place to store the waeco at night, disadvantage is that it's not so easy to lift in and out (because it's quite heavy, esp. when full).

I guess it comes down to deciding where to store the Waeco first - in the trunk, behind driver/passenger seat, below the bed, ..
In the ideal world I want fridge, kitchen pod and porta potti all in the living area of the beach, and still be able to put up the table. It's a challenge though and I'm still struggling with it. But we need the trunk space.

I think I will go for a solar panel installation at some point, even though I have the hook up. The only thing that still bothers me is that it becomes a bit harder to use a roof box.

Zeratul,
your arguments are very convincing ....
your situation is very similar to mine (we are 5 !!)
I think I will follow your example, based on your similar experience..
PS. then you can use a solar panel, maybe on the long side of the roof, and (if necessary) on the other side, the roof-box ...
we are going to work on it.
THANK YOU
ignazio

There are some good examples on the forum of solar brackets that fit onto the roof rack rails.

- The size does make a difference IMO. The CF35 is 58x36x38.5cm The CFX35 is 63x41x41.1cm. The standard trunk depth of the 3 seater beach, with 3 seater bench in the position that just touches the multiflex is 60cm

Sure? I just tried to measure that space. Seems to be a little bit more, to me. Maybe not enough for the cfx (maybe it fits anyway).

- The CF35 fits in perfectly. For the CFX may need a couple of cms extra trunk space (losing interior

But the Engel Mt35 is a super fridge with dimension 64,8 (w) 40,8 (h) 36,4 (d). It could be almost easily fit that space. What do you think about it. The price is super. But quality seems better than others. Strong and durable.
Engel is a great product. 32 liters.

Finally about Waeco Cf35. It's a strong fridge, but i just read Waeco don't use danfoss compressor anymore for it. Now they use a chinese made one, not the same. Many problems in the Internet. In this case, maybe i'd choose the indel b31, webasto. Seems almost the same. But better compressor. 29 liters.
What do you think about it?

Back