Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ok - I'm an impostor, but Hi anyway!

C

Captainbeaky

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all,

I don't own a California, ( funds don't quite go that far unfortunately, ) but I have retrofitted my Caravelle / Transporter with a Cali roof, and an unusual bespoke camper conversion.

Starting life as a 2010 swb 140dsg caravelle, my van was converted to a wheelchair access vehicle from new. I purchased it in 2012, and have been converting it ever since!

I have retrofitted the Cali roof from a crashed LHD California, complete with all the control gear, the auxiliary heater, the battery interface, all the lights, trim, and the brilliant little control panel.

So I have a Caliporter or Transfornia or whichever you would like to call it, and decided to join here for some technical info on the roof and control system - and to find out more about the roof corrosion issues.

I have a good working knowledge of the camper electronics now, so feel free to ask, I might be able to help.

Mike.

Welcome to the first who thinks the control panel is brilliant...!

Hi Mike welcome along. Your knowledge will be very useful:thumb

Smart wood effect, very nice! Is it safe to assume that the work surface is stone effect and not actually stone?! :D

Might need to turn left VERY slowly if not!!

Hi I'm in a similar boat so to speak got a t5 kombi can't run to a full California but I'm having a roof fitted original Vw in 6 weeks any advise would be good some pics of the roof would be nice regards chinny

Hello all,

I don't own a California, ( funds don't quite go that far unfortunately, ) but I have retrofitted my Caravelle / Transporter with a Cali roof, and an unusual bespoke camper conversion.

Starting life as a 2010 swb 140dsg caravelle, my van was converted to a wheelchair access vehicle from new. I purchased it in 2012, and have been converting it ever since!

I have retrofitted the Cali roof from a crashed LHD California, complete with all the control gear, the auxiliary heater, the battery interface, all the lights, trim, and the brilliant little control panel.

So I have a Caliporter or Transfornia or whichever you would like to call it, and decided to join here for some technical info on the roof and control system - and to find out more about the roof corrosion issues.

I have a good working knowledge of the camper electronics now, so feel free to ask, I might be able to help.

Mike.
Hi mike did you fit the roof yourself I'm not that brave are you happy with it cheers

We wanted to create a vehicle that looks like VW built it at Crewe (Bentley).
More like a posh cocktail bar than a camper!

The unit fronts are burr walnut Formica, the worktop is corian, the sink is hand beaten nickel silver from Morocco.

Literally only had the unit finished last week.

Yes, I fitted the roof myself.
It's a very involved process, and getting all the electrics working took a lot of time.

Love the roof, it's by far the best roof available - I've researched them all, and a lot of t5 camper roofs are rubbish.It's the best looking, best fit and nicest bed ( I find it fabulously comfy!). Also, all the parts are available as spares...

Most of the Cali roof trim will fit, apart from the LHS of the vehicle, where you have to adapt it to fit the vehicle ( because of the LH side door.)
I carefully cut, heated and formed the trim to fit under the door rubber seal - I'll get some pics when I get a chance,

Only downside is the weight of the roof, which made the vehicle rather top heavy.
I fitted uprated H&R anti roll bars, which eliminated the top heavy feel - they are expensive, but improve the roll greatly, without making the suspension any harder.

The camper is all-electric ( no gas). There is a 3.5kw generator in the back to power the coffee machine, toaster, induction hob and microwave.

There is an underslung waste water tank, and onboard fresh water.
The fridge is under the seat.

My friends say that it isn't a camper, it's life support for an espresso machine!

It looks like we simply spent loads of cash, in reality, this is the result of some very careful and patient purchasing, component selection and deal making. And a lot of man hours. The only things We didn't do ourself was the painting of the roof, and the finishing of the cabinets ( we fitted the carcasses, we had a friendly cabinet maker to fit the fronts and the worktop).

Even buying the base vehicle was an adventure, we found the 2010 17k mile wheelchair driver vehicle at a local auction for a little over £15,500 all up. This was above our £12k vehicle budget, but it was such a nice example that we decided to go the extra mile and get it. Best bit was that we recouped £2,500 by selling the wheelchair access kit that was inside, and the fact that it had windows all round brought us back under budget - result!

All up cost is around the £22,000 mark, which we are very happy with.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but this is also a hobby - I'm not happy unless I have a project like this on the go!

Once this is done, I start on rebuilding my defender 90 ( another canny purchase)...

Hi Mike, that's very impressive; and welcome to the club. I'm sure that by now you will know more about the Cali than the whole of VW UK put together so you will be a very useful asset to the forum members! :thumb

Interesting choice to do without the gas. Does the genny take up much room/payload, and is it noisy in use?

Colin

Hi mike like the sound of that mines an every day vehicle I've kitted it out like you for my needs I been sleeping in it for nearly three years know working away from home got a good leisure system and a hook up system saves me a fortune on digs plus I love it,got all mod cons now at last I'm getting my roof I'm well informed on vws so no brainier what to get like to see yours when finished cheers

The generator takes up the spare wheel space, and some of the interior space above the spare wheel.

Tyres are filled with "ultra seal".

The biggest benefit is that the mains powered kit is readily available and reasonably priced, so for breakfast, I can have coffee and toast very easily.

The Generator is a little intrusive, but it only runs when you need the big appliances - no more than 5 mins for breakfast, for example - the van also has one auxiliary battery, and can accommodate more if necessary.

The current single battery will keep the fridge going for nearly a week without running the gen or engine. I have a solar cell to go on the roof to top this up.

Like it! seen lower spec and lower finish quality in a limo!

The generator takes up the spare wheel space, and some of the interior space above the spare wheel.
Thanks for the info. Considering the spare appears to be a magnet for thieves (especially Lego bandits) it sounds like a better use of the space.

It must be quite a large genny to deliver that power though; is it sold as an accessory type thing for camper vans or is it something you've adapted yourself?

Did you have to use a "tin opener" on the van floor?

3.5 kW generator, fitted into a custom made stainless steel enclosure that is sunk into the rear floor in between the chassis rails.

Where th
3.5 kW generator, fitted into a custom made stainless steel enclosure that is sunk into the rear floor in between the chassis rails.
Where the engine would have been in a T1/T2!

It probably generates more power than a t1/t2 engine.

We wanted to create a vehicle that looks like VW built it at Crewe (Bentley).
More like a posh cocktail bar than a camper!

The unit fronts are burr walnut Formica, the worktop is corian, the sink is hand beaten nickel silver from Morocco.

Literally only had the unit finished last week.

Yes, I fitted the roof myself.
It's a very involved process, and getting all the electrics working took a lot of time.

Love the roof, it's by far the best roof available - I've researched them all, and a lot of t5 camper roofs are rubbish.It's the best looking, best fit and nicest bed ( I find it fabulously comfy!). Also, all the parts are available as spares...

Most of the Cali roof trim will fit, apart from the LHS of the vehicle, where you have to adapt it to fit the vehicle ( because of the LH side door.)
I carefully cut, heated and formed the trim to fit under the door rubber seal - I'll get some pics when I get a chance,

Only downside is the weight of the roof, which made the vehicle rather top heavy.
I fitted uprated H&R anti roll bars, which eliminated the top heavy feel - they are expensive, but improve the roll greatly, without making the suspension any harder.

The camper is all-electric ( no gas). There is a 3.5kw generator in the back to power the coffee machine, toaster, induction hob and microwave.

There is an underslung waste water tank, and onboard fresh water.
The fridge is under the seat.

My friends say that it isn't a camper, it's life support for an espresso machine!

It looks like we simply spent loads of cash, in reality, this is the result of some very careful and patient purchasing, component selection and deal making. And a lot of man hours. The only things We didn't do ourself was the painting of the roof, and the finishing of the cabinets ( we fitted the carcasses, we had a friendly cabinet maker to fit the fronts and the worktop).

Even buying the base vehicle was an adventure, we found the 2010 17k mile wheelchair driver vehicle at a local auction for a little over £15,500 all up. This was above our £12k vehicle budget, but it was such a nice example that we decided to go the extra mile and get it. Best bit was that we recouped £2,500 by selling the wheelchair access kit that was inside, and the fact that it had windows all round brought us back under budget - result!

All up cost is around the £22,000 mark, which we are very happy with.

Yes, it's a lot of work, but this is also a hobby - I'm not happy unless I have a project like this on the go!

Once this is done, I start on rebuilding my defender 90 ( another canny purchase)...
Are you for hire?