Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 v 204

Wish I had that feeling.
I’m 6’ and just can’t get comfy on the seat.
I’ve now got 2 foot x 3” squared memory foam that I can put under my right leg that squashes down and keeps my right leg from falling off the seat and 2” memory foam square bit under my bum.
It’s like jenga when I get in now :rolleyes:

That’s a shame. 6’1 here and love the driving position of the cali. Up there with one of the most comfy cars I’ve had.

That’s a shame. 6’1 here and love the driving position of the cali. Up there with one of the most comfy cars I’ve had.
Bizarre isn’t it!
When sat in the drivers seat, my hip is 3” lower than my knee. Same for you ?

Bizarre isn’t it!
When sat in the drivers seat, my hip is 3” lower than my knee. Same for you ?
That would be pretty uncomfy on long drives. Not having the foot rest on RHD spec T6.1's to extend the leg doesn't help either.

That would be pretty uncomfy on long drives. Not having the foot rest on RHD spec T6.1's to extend the leg doesn't help either.
Yeah man, sucks big time.

No Compromise.
Needs Pendle remap and 265PS and 650Nm Torque ;)

....and new driveshafts every 100miles as the splines will have stripped, still at least that saves the gearbox from self destructing.
Small price to pay, even if true, which its not. When my warranty expires a tune will be in my future.

Small price to pay, even if true, which its not.

Driveshaft splines used to be one of the top 3 subjects on here, just overshadowed by leaking roofs these days.
T6 forum has over 200 threads re driveshafts and none re leaking california roofs.

Last edited:
....and new driveshafts every 100miles as the splines will have stripped, still at least that saves the gearbox from self destructing.

I’ve had Pendle tuning since 16K Km’s and now have 64K. Never had any issue with anything related to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I had that feeling.
I’ve now got 2 foot x 3” squared memory foam that I can put under my right leg that squashes down and keeps my right leg from falling off the seat and 2” memory foam square bit under my bum.
Sounds like it's probably easier to drive in cycling shorts.

I'm 6ft and approx 90kg and really like the position. Certainly don't have the low hip issue you described.

Did you have it from new? Have you compared it to another van?

Last edited:
Wish I had that feeling.
Height is related to leg length and torso length. It seems you have long legs?
How far forward do you have the seat?
I’m 6’ and have the seat far back so that I can just grip the top of the steering wheel without leaning forward. My thighs are fully supported.

Sounds like it's probably easier to drive in cycling shorts.

I'm 6ft and approx 90kg and really like the position. Certainly don't have the low hip issue you described.

Did you have it from new? Have you compared it to another van?
Yes had it brand new.
Never compared to another California
It has the captain chair on a swivel.
I wonder if you could take a measurement from the floor to the front of the seat base for me!
I’ll measure mine and see if we have the same.
I wear leg 34” jeans and a waist of 34” too.
So not out of sync body to hip to foot length :D
Well I don’t think so, fairly normal isn’t it ?

Height is related to leg length and torso length. It seems you have long legs?
How far forward do you have the seat?
I’m 6’ and have the seat far back so that I can just grip the top of the steering wheel without leaning forward. My thighs are fully supported.
Waist and leg jeans size 34”
6’ and around 90kg too.
Large t’s,
Superdry t’s XXL tho :D
So a normal size.
Have the seat fairly forward, the sliding bar to sliding ratchet (front to back) I have set at the exact same so no gap between sliders.
Sometimes it’s about 3/4” set back from bolted seat base. Pop my pinky in where the sliding base is bolted to the floor square riser and can just feel the sliding bar mech.
Have tried in numerous positions to get comfy.
Too far back.
Numb leg.
Too far forward, knees nearly on lower dashboard.

Currently have a T5.1 180 SE/ Ocean and a T6.1 150 Beach.

The 180 is much nicer to drive even with the greater weight of the SE/ Ocean in my opinion. Perhaps the 150 needs to ‘run in’ - it’s only on c. 2000 miles

Yes had it brand new.
Never compared to another California
It has the captain chair on a swivel.
I wonder if you could take a measurement from the floor to the front of the seat base for me!
I’ll measure mine and see if we have the same.
I wear leg 34” jeans and a waist of 34” too.
So not out of sync body to hip to foot length :D
Well I don’t think so, fairly normal isn’t it ?
I'm not near the van at the minute but I would have thought that will be the same. My first thoughts were that the bum area of the seat is sinking more than it should. Potentially some support was broken/modified. Hence why I asked if you had from new.

I used to have an MX5 and a common mod for 6ft+ people was to remove some foam from under the seat to allow it to compress more. Sounds like you have the opposite problem and is compressing too much.

Driving position is very subjective. I do drive closer to the wheel and pedals than my height suggests and when cruising on motorways my knee does rest on the lower dash if not using the foot rest.

I'd say it's worth sitting in another Cali just to make sure there isn't anything obviously different about how the seat base feels.

Last edited: