Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

One tip...

M

MrsDarcy

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Heya

So if you could give one tip and one tip only to someone who will be getting a Cali early next year what would it be?

MrsD x

Do not overbuy your camping stuff before you use your van otherwise you will buy and not use a % of it You can take stuff from home while to plan/work out what you will use.

Rent before you buy. We did this when we first considered getting one and loved it, but it’s an expensive mistake to make if you find something that doesn’t work for you

Don't wait until next year ...
Buy now !

It's a hard one....... But unless money is no object, try to remain sensible with the options list.

For us, this meant prioritising function over form. For example, it was better for us to have the overnight heater, than bigger wheels and the comfort dash. As this allows us to use the van all year!

IMG_8270.jpg

The California (either model) offers a great level of comfort as standard. Yes, there are some "must have" options for many people, but it's very easy to get carried away (especially with the Beach.)

There are many threads on here, discussing the value of different options..... But only you can really decide if they are worth the extra cash. Some options, like the comfort mattress and the awning housing, are cheaper to add during the initial purchase than purchase from VW after delivery. Other items, like bigger wheels can always be added (at a saving even) after a year or two..... Some options like the comfort lighting, IMO are good value as difficult to add later etc....

Find out what is important to you, look around and if you find what you want buy don't wait or you might not find it again !

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Heya

So if you could give one tip and one tip only to someone who will be getting a Cali early next year what would it be?

MrsD x
Start planning some adventures,

Our must have's were - heated front windscreen and overnight heater (we live in Scotland :) ) 150 engine and a DSG / auto gearbox. Our was a new 'off the shelf' Ocean and so we were lucky that it had these options (and many many more) even though we didn't spec the vehicle to our needs. The 1st thing we bought for it was a set of high quality seat covers from the club shop as it was obvious the light grey interior was going to 'age' quite quickly without them. And then use it, as often as you possibly can, they are not objects to be looked at in the driveway, they are to be enjoyed every second of every minute possible :)

My tip would be to give careful thought about whether you want a manual gearbox or auto (DSG).

We have a manual Cali and it's not at all a bad drive... but if I was buying again today I'd almost certainly go for DSG. That's because of the type of trips we've actually ended up doing in the van - a lot of minor roads, taking advantage of places you can go with a Cali that you wouldn't in a big motorhome. On the trip we've just done around the Alps, after about the 153rd hairpin I got to thinking a lazy auto box would have been much more relaxing.

At risk of the obvious, the type of gearbox is probably going to be your single biggest decision, much more important than engine size or all the configurator gizmos (I'm assuming you've already settled the basic question of Ocean or Beach).

Read these forums/ threads like an encyclopedia. The knowledge these Cali Guris have shared over 100s of threads is second to none. I went in the dealer knowing more about calis than they did (and i hadnt even seen a cali), all thanks to this forum!!! AMAZING!!

Come to a Cali meet and have a chat with a few enthusiasts.

Get a manual sliding door. Electric is a pain. Manual so much easier.

Save some budget for all the other things that are a must have. Seat covers and mattress toppers....must haves especially the downstairs mattress, and (we swear by the internal roof liner), can set you back 2k if you go for the best ones. These are the things that really make your camping comfortable.

Heya

MrsD x
Don’t take too much “stuff”. You can always get supplies on the road.

Reserve some dates in your diary for Cali trips, no need to decide on destination.