Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opening Tailgate from Inside...

I sleep downstairs and want to be able to open the door without getting out of bed. Maybe I’m lazy but I love the idea of just pushing it open and taking in the air and the view.
Exactly the same for me.....its an inconvenience to get out of the van when still in bed but wanting to 'open up' the views.

Recently had my new VW California and didn't realise there was no switch/handle in boot to open same, and on fitting drawer storage thingy as previously seen on this forum, and wanting to check clearance in boot I locked myself in boot!
Had to climb over rear set to exit vehicle, Doh!!!!

A neat job.
I assume the interior button is wired in parallel to the existing exterior handle switch?

Alan

A neat job.
I assume the interior button is wired in parallel to the existing exterior handle switch?

Alan
Thank you. Yes it is.

Would you post a step by step guide ?? Thanks
Basically it's take out chairs then undo every screw and fixing you can see inside. The centre of the plastic domed fixings unscrew then the whole fixing pulls out. Found a tight fitting Torx bit worked best. There are several torx bolts up each side with some having a felt pad glued over them. Once the centre plastic divider is undone you should be able to get the foam seat holders out. Once out I drilled a 16mm hole using a speed bit for the switch that came from RS Components Part No. 690-3255 in the area shown so missing the steel frame behind. From there fed some 2 core cable into the door cavity and followed existing wiring down to the centre bottom securing same with automotive tape. If you managed to get all the fixings off that secure the hardboard door liner then its just a matter of pulling said board away from door enough to expose the actuator and wiring. Then splice / connect the 2 new wires from new switch to existing 2 wires that go to tailgate handle switch (circled).

This was a not an easy job. Two of the bolts one each side would not come out due to the captive nut spinning and no way to grip them. Had to do keyhole surgery to make the connections and feed wire through as only had a small gap for access. If bolts had come out would have been way more easy. Very glad I did it as get great pleasure from pushing the button from bed and the tailgate opening to reveal the beauty of where I'm at. If doing this kind of mod is not your thing I'd recommend getting an auto electrician to do it for you.

Not really step by step but hope this is of some help.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_E0533.jpg

There are others who have successfully fitted a button to open tailgate from the inside. Does anyone want to see a step by step guide on how to do it?
Yes i’d love to know how to do this. It’s real safety issue in a California where a fire inside a vehicle, especially at night, means every possible means of escape should be provided. As it stands, an interruption to the vehicles electrical supply to the tailgate AND other doors poses a huge risk.

Yes i’d love to know how to do this. It’s real safety issue in a California where a fire inside a vehicle, especially at night, means every possible means of escape should be provided. As it stands, an interruption to the vehicles electrical supply to the tailgate AND other doors poses a huge risk.
Hardly a safety risk unless you don't have the absolutely massive sliding
door and 2 doors at the front.
What kind of fire are you expecting to have Peter?

Not sure if it works with all models.
Naamloos.jpg
My dad's T6 has the microswitch operated rear lid handle.
Mine is still the rod operated lock I suppose.
Unless someone can contradict this, but I have to mechanically move the outer handle upwards to pull the rod on the lock, probably through part 11.
I wish I had paid more attention to the locking mechanism when I installed my rearview camera :rolleyes:.
Why do I always read posts like this too late?
Ah, yes. I wasn't subscribed to this forum yet at that time...

Not sure if it works with all models.
View attachment 51615
My dad's T6 has the microswitch operated rear lid handle.
Mine is still the rod operated lock I suppose.
Unless someone can contradict this, but I have to mechanically move the outer handle upwards to pull the rod on the lock, probably through part 11.
I wish I had paid more attention to the locking mechanism when I installed my rearview camera :rolleyes:.
Why do I always read posts like this too late?
Ah, yes. I wasn't subscribed to this forum yet at that time...
From what I can work out if the outside handle of the tailgate has a keyhole as part of the external handle it’s a mechanical link. No keyhole then the handle is just operating a switch. Can hear the switch click when slowly lifting the handle in a quiet place.

Interested in doing this myself.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a part number for this switch seen at around the 2 minute mark in the video?

Thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
1edf219cad36abba99067c395f1f36b0.jpg

Posted too soon!
Just found parts numbers;

7E5959551
7E0858099

if anyone else is interested.

Apparently this switch doesn't work if it is installed in the manner outlined in the thread above so will probably give it a miss.

Some good info here. I see Skewif has also contributed to that thread

I got round to doing this today. Been on my list for a while. Placed a switch in a similar place, as there’s a void beneath the roller blind for it, and it stops anything in the boot hitting the button by mistake.
Just need to reach behind the cupboard when in bed.
As stated. It’s quite an involved job. I wanted to add a light strip into the tailgate too, just need to figure the power source.

@Wynney you didn't by any chance get a chance to document your efforts with a camera did you? Maybe accompanied by some textual explanations. A small howto guide or tutorial ;-)

I'd be really interested and I'm sure some others might be as well. We have a 'resources'-part of the forums where you can post howto guides that others can benefit from. If you ever get the chance, let me know. I would use it!

Back