Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Organisation

M

MrsDarcy

Vehicle
Looking to buy
hi

So whilst I’m not exactly a minimalist, I do like everything to be organised and I hate clutter. I really don’t want to fill our Cali with “stuff” and have the stress of having to move everything around each night to get into bed.
I’m actually really looking forward to buying storage and organising everything (much to hubbys amusement out of ALL the things we have to consider..)
So any storage/organising tips. What’s your must haves?

MrsD x

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what you do you will have to move stuff around to get into bed! :D

But I know what you mean.

There are a number of threads dealing with this, but the one that comes to mind is this one.

There is another one dealing mostly with Ikea stuff if you can find it, have fun looking!

And :welcome

Despite the many disadvantages (especially when you're an old man with a weak bladder!), sleeping upstairs makes a huge difference, as it frees up the rear shelf. I have a permanetly-placed small suitcase here for all our clothes, and you can't see it from the rest of the van. You can also temporarily put things like shoes and coats downstairs without them getting in the way of a good night's sleep. If you use the rear shelf for clothes, you can use the wardrobe for bedding, which gets it all out of sight during the day. In fact, you can leave a sheet/duvet/sleeping bag on the upstairs bed when you push the roof up during the day. It's taken me ten years to work all this out!

hi

So whilst I’m not exactly a minimalist, I do like everything to be organised and I hate clutter. I really don’t want to fill our Cali with “stuff” and have the stress of having to move everything around each night to get into bed.
I’m actually really looking forward to buying storage and organising everything (much to hubbys amusement out of ALL the things we have to consider..)
So any storage/organising tips. What’s your must haves?

MrsD x
It would help if we knew which vehicle type you are purchasing. Beach or Ocean?

How many people will be using the vehicle?

Any Dogs?

Each one of the above can make a big difference.

Also, have you ever camped with a tent?

My must haves are packing cubes for the interior and useful boxes for the boot

Sleep upstairs, then you don't have to move anything to get into bed except yourself

9F1EDDE5-A7D7-44B2-ACA1-71F7B36A260D.jpeg
Some great tips! Thank you. Like you, love to be organized and know what is where. Just got our cali and still trying to figure out what will be the most practical way to pack. We camped with a 4x4 trailer- to keep my head on straight, I numbered my crates and printed( and laminated) an alphabetical list with the number of the crate of where I can find what I am looking for. Don’t think Cali will need as much organizational effort or am I disillusioned? One thing I am struggling to work out- rattles- how do you keep your Cali content from making a noise while driving. Some of the roads in Africa( especially the Wildlife parks) are horrendous and muting this is a must! So far I have placed non slip mats between plastic stacking boxes and lined the cutlery draw( see pic). Any suggestions or solutions??

Organisation like everything else, colour choice etc is very personal but tips from others are useful to give fresh ideas on how and where to store things.

Most important issue we find is having the ability to actually find things when you want them and to have them stored in such a way that they are conveniently at hand.

So, a place for everything and everything in its place and as little of everything as possible.

Mike

As you might have seen I have Ikea Skubb boxes all over. They have the perfect sizes, don't rattle and still are flexible enough to squeeze in some irregularly shaped items. When not used you can simply flatten them.
My multi-purpose glasses have rubber sleeves and lids.
I always try to have some cone-shaped PET bottles reversed in the fridge, serving as wedges to avoid the wine bottles rattling.
The trunk is packed with again hard boxes mixed with soft packs like sleeping bag, folding relax chairs,...
You have more detail in the older thread here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/show-me-how-youve-made-your-interiors-your-own.19968/page-4

Sleep upstairs, then you don't have to move anything to get into bed except yourself
And it means someone ( me) can get up and make a cup of tea without too much disruption.

Organisation like everything else, colour choice etc is very personal but tips from others are useful to give fresh ideas on how and where to store things.

Most important issue we find is having the ability to actually find things when you want them and to have them stored in such a way that they are conveniently at hand.

So, a place for everything and everything in its place and as little of everything as possible.

Mike
Agree, especially your last point "as little of everything as possible ".

Agree, especially your last point "as little of everything as possible ".

We are definitely on the same page as we also sleep upstairs except when the wind is really blowing, our cutlery draw looks like yours and use the Skubb boxes. Large one for bedding is great as like you say it folds up and gets tucked away. Great things.

Mike

I got a pack of 6 Car wash sponges. Useful for putting in fridge and elsewhere to stop rattles. No rattles in my Cali even on our B roads which mimic some of the worse you can find anywhere.

I got a pack of 6 Car wash sponges. Useful for putting in fridge and elsewhere to stop rattles. No rattles in my Cali even on our B roads which mimic some of the worse you can find anywhere.
I can think of a good place to stick one of them to get some peace and quiet! ;)

Use your van as often as possible, that way you'll soon get to remember where you keep things. :cool:

And we now have a policy that any new item has to be matched by ditching something else that we haven't used much. Sometimes we even follow the policy. :rolleyes: