Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our vanlife setup

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
After 3 years our setup is pretty settled and working great, so can share how things work for us.
This setup is for long sefsustain travels, aka vanlife.
We spend over half year living in a van after all.

We chose Beach 4motion packed with almost all options. 204hp with DSG, though wanted 150 which wasn't available for faster order.

2seat bench option, which we found simply amazing due to more space to work with and a great drawer.
Will be posting photos with description below.

Drawer holds the 3 light camping pots and a fox kettle with special bottom for faster effective boils.
Heater ecomat 2000.
Some chargers with cables.
Diy tube for directing heat to the tent. 450g gas canisters and ultralight spider gas stove. (sits on a table with a tube going to gas canister) Hate campingaz design with stove fixed on top.
Gas is used majorly in the morning for boiling eggs and some water to thermos to be used during a day.

20190505_111925.jpg

We use an ikea alex as a major storage and a main table. With top drawer extended and a cutting board on top there is a plenty of space for dinner.
The happiest discovery for us were these slowcookers, which do all the magic during the day or while driving, we only have to throw some stuff in, (mostly frozen veggies, meat and fish), lots of which we carry in a 50l freezer.
Coocking time is usually 1-1,5 hours but we just load them earlier so they unfreeze and cook till lunch and then dinner.
They draw 2 and 5 amps in 2 modes. So after running 5amps for half an hour just switches to slower mode.
They are built like thermos so food can stay warm for hours after switched off.

20190505_150513.jpg

Alex table extended and a handy plastic storage box from ikea on top to hold cookers while driving and some other stuff.

20190506_163336.jpg

20190506_163403.jpg

Great post thanks

Do you have a fridge and if so what is your approach to not being able to open the drawer when in bed mode downstairs?

Amazing, please post away, love vanlife, in fact my wife and I are always watching #vanlife on YouTube.

Great post thanks

Do you have a fridge and if so what is your approach to not being able to open the drawer when in bed mode downstairs?
We have x2 50L indelB compressor fridges. They sit on the left side, kind of Ocean's kitchen. Partly on a storage box and on a rear board.
For some shorter trips we take just one, that runs in a fridge mode. For longer ones, there is a freezer fulltime. And in some rare cases when we go back from Norway, we put both in a freezer mode, taking more fish for the winter.
We almost never sleep downstairs. 2-3 times in a year when cought in crazy storm/wind so tent doesn't fly off ;)
So no access to bottom drawer not an issue.
On a note, I had to modify (build my own) flexiboard, making it slightly shorter, so it is possible to unfold the bench with Alex secured in place.
It is from lighter plywood and I made lots of cool connections under it, guiding some cables and a net for an extra table we carry. (will post shortly)

Here are x2 50l freedges (rear freezer, accessible from behind). Which we consider the most essential thing in a van. We can hold healty food for over a month easily.
Good hint is to prepare some portions of meat at home so you unfreeze exact dinner amount.
Frozen weggies are easily refilled in most stores.

15572534282776230099142060505670.jpg

We use an ikea alex as a major storage and a main table. With top drawer extended and a cutting board on top there is a plenty of space for dinner.
The happiest discovery for us were these slowcookers, which do all the magic during the day or while driving, we only have to throw some stuff in, (mostly frozen veggies, meat and fish), lots of which we carry in a 50l freezer.
Coocking time is usually 1-1,5 hours but we just load them earlier so they unfreeze and cook till lunch and then dinner.
They draw 2 and 5 amps in 2 modes. So after running 5amps for half an hour just switches to slower mode.

View attachment 44478
Interested in the slow cooker can you please give me a link:) Thanks looks amazing

We have x2 50L indelB compressor fridges. They sit on the left side, kind of Ocean's kitchen. Partly on a storage box and on a rear board.
For some shorter trips we take just one, that runs in a fridge mode. For longer ones, there is a freezer fulltime. And in some rare cases when we go back from Norway, we put both in a freezer mode, taking more fish for the winter.
We almost never sleep downstairs. 2-3 times in a year when cought in crazy storm/wind so tent doesn't fly off ;)
So no access to bottom drawer not an issue.
On a note, I had to modify (build my own) flexiboard, making it slightly shorter, so it is possible to unfold the bench with Alex secured in place.
It is from lighter plywood and I made lots of cool connections under it, guiding some cables and a net for an extra table we carry. (will post shortly)

Here are x2 50l freedges (rear freezer, accessible from behind). Which we consider the most essential thing in a van. We can hold healty food for over a month easily.
Good hint is to prepare some portions of meat at home so you unfreeze exact dinner amount.
Frozen weggies are easily refilled in most stores.

View attachment 44539
Fascinating. I live in the UK, but my grandad was from Norway, would absolutely love to go there!!!!

Interested in the slow cooker can you please give me a link:) Thanks looks amazing
It is from aliexpress and you can find the seller you like. Already bought 5 of those as spares and gifts.
Here is an example link. Make sure to pick 12v version. Should be around 15-18 pounds.
We don't even use plates, eating from the pots is very handy with hinges as handles and don't have to wash them, just clean with paper towel.
They also have the best cig lighter plug and cable I have seen on any devices. So 0 plug heating issues.

It is from aliexpress and you can find the seller you like. Already bought 5 of those as spares and gifts.
Here is an example link. Make sure to pick 12v version. Should be around 15-18 pounds.
We don't even use plates, eating from the pots is very handy with hinges as handles and don't have to wash them, just clean with paper towel.
They also have the best cig lighter plug and cable I have seen on any devices. So 0 plug heating issues.
Thanks looks good

Our setup of storage. We use standard storage boxes. Mesh wall one for clothes so it is well ventilated. It holds most our clothes with 2 color backpacks for smaller pieces. To the right is a technical box with car essentials, cable extensions, air compressor etc. Behind the righ box is my inflatable kayak. Sits between technical box and a bench. It goes on the driver's seat in case of emergency sleeping downstairs and one box goes inside on the floor.
Behind the clothes box are 2 food related boxes. One low height with long storage staff, rarely accesible and a big one on top with all the essentials easily accessible from inside from the bench.
Below flexiboard is a net holding a big cheap table that we can leave under the rain or even cut the fish on. 2 big low height boxes hold the footwear. (hiking boots, light hiking boots and some very light ones)
The one way deep under the bench is holding more food of rarest access.
2 smallest boxes: sitting to the left hold dog's stuff and fishing accessories.
In the long tunnel to the left is a box with fishing rods and in front of it (black plastic case) is diy lithium battery for a kayak. 60ah 8kg.
To the left a camping chair, (I don't like cali ones) hiking poles tripods and a light cable extension.
We carry an extra 30m folded cable in a technical box giving us 50m reach which allows to pick some great spots in a camping.

A bit messy to the top right, which is better organized at other times.

Another view.

Thanks for this. I have just ordered a green one :)
Is the heat enough to cook meat from raw or do you have to pre-cook it? Also do you use the tray in the top? Hoping it comes with some instructions. I thought it might travel in the sink plugged into the kitchen 12v socket while I am travellling.

Yes, heat is more than enough to cook anything. It is just slower than usual cooking. Not using the tray.
We throw raw frozen meat or fish, so it unfreezes and cooks within 2-3max hours. Might be even overdone resulting in too dry food but never burnt.
The pot is just 1liter so we use 2. But it's small size is perfect for eating from it, holding like a big cup.
Locks securely so you can throw it around without spilling.
Makes insanely tasty jams from apples if you leave it for the whole day.
P.S. smells might distract some during the drive :)

Kayak, takes around 20-30 minutes to set up.
NN6SZopQtFdNq4gTJyhw1AynhtJDDGwtv0tv6t62cTaQQgcyuLmoy3vqQeHOsZljiJ1PBFr5Qgno8V_f5-Sz8AcZhwkMsrfw3JU4kaxTKS50jXMiTejYTIfu6Nuzwyb3FX8wgZBCQU2ipOZwsJvDjcHkewKLQuw5ucLI6FP2fmYnacaPAgyuTYcHMWHH7sugTLd5k_MwlxID6KFsHsg337VkIBBT_sqi1x0vbdCnARpeAF6ryj7hyou7bbavPxuJje0e9rLhgv0FSs7iTplM4PEV3qK06Q9q11V3JhcMR5JW1qilytyzKZk4xckWYKxAWuNW7X8eKIztMhNQfpJrGCmvx6yDsTYtIStjZkRHZUPIzkBeccE5uVm59ne2mZzJTVBJAPc6Lb9d6c_39-SmOpkbJhs-7IJTz9JRvyeB1j7CN0sQswM_ysD8qOGgw9g2FCVHJQI7kPxj4cBXGT5U_50dc7kcy4hyHjDWVcfIxhjBDrDpUWit6SXpyg1_RbAG7l6cGfZtYisBoUO89OI0tQoaMNHQbgUxS3P0TpEMgrTDY4IpVHJ1RMfdshxcM2F2FxrBKnJE33n5Vq_8jI0emefdtOeDQYTM-ma-5jpMYE6_ZBJIVJhegfSdYIL4E355hwuIhEwH_xN5CYSnmU0zOqmWIiC2QLFS=w720

Todays couple hours fishing got us fish for a month already.
59685029_2478722508818471_8598058071668817920_n.jpg

I like a thermal cooker as we’re more without EHU than with and even 12v is prescious at long 5/6 day festivals.

The great part they work on EHU as well, just staying in sockets while leisure battery is kept charged.
We no longer carry any 240v appliances that we used to. Even 12v kettle is more portable and efficient if you are patient to wait 30 mins the boil.

View attachment 44478
Gorgeous bull terrier!!!!

Would love to start one! but too bisy with instagram still, posting daily takes tons of work. It isn't vanlife related though.
IG Sp0_ok

Would love to start one! but too bisy with instagram still, posting daily takes tons of work. It isn't vanlife related though.
IG Sp0_ok
Whats your Instagram account, will have a look :) You can make good money on youtube i believe doing videos, and California and #vanlife seem to get soooo many views. Get yourtibe be to pay for your cali ;-)

Kayak gumotex ruby with my mods for fishing. Motor brushless haswing protruar. Lithium own made battery. The beast goes slowly 2-3knots but for half a day. ;)

Back